any have this album? do you like it?

im interested in King Porter Stomp, good arrangment? how's the quality

Kyle

#2 Post by Kyle » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:58 pm

anyone?

djstarr

King Porter's Stomp/Cruisin' with Cab

#3 Post by djstarr » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:16 am

Sorry - I don't own Cruisin' with Cab - I do have a version of King Porter's Stomp that someone gave me on an MP3 - the song is about 200 bpm, with a 30 second intro - once you're past that the song swings ok. Since it's MP3 though it's hard to tell what the quality is like.

I did want to ask what everyone thought about Cab Calloway - does anyone DJ him? I like him a lot - especially what is on Are you Hep to the Jive?

He is rarely played in Seattle; I played Tarzan of Harlem last night and someone came up and thanked me....

I only heard Cab once during the Harlem weekend --- any thoughts?

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:43 am

I love Cab Calloway and play his music almost every time I DJ. Tonight I DJed Lindy Groove, and I played "Are You All Reet?". Some dancers always seem to get confused with the long break near the beginning, but it's a killer song none-the-less. "Are You Hep To The Jive?" is one of my all-time favorite swinging albums and has always been on my recommended listening list.

Jesse

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:05 am

Regarding the album you mentioned to start the thread, I think I listened to it at a local record shop and it had really crappy sound quality. If you don't already have it I'd recommend "Are You Hep To The Jive?" as Jesse has.

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:50 am

JesseMiner wrote:I love Cab Calloway and play his music almost every time I DJ. Tonight I DJed Lindy Groove, and I played "Are You All Reet?". Some dancers always seem to get confused with the long break near the beginning, but it's a killer song none-the-less. "Are You Hep To The Jive?" is one of my all-time favorite swinging albums and has always been on my recommended listening list.

Jesse
yep - I really like that song too. I also like "A chicken ain't nothing but a bird", which you can always follow up with "That chick's too young to fry" or "ain't nobody here but us chickens"... he he he...

thanks!

funkyfreak

#7 Post by funkyfreak » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:26 am

Swifty wrote:I think I listened to it at a local record shop and it had really crappy sound quality.
The Label is Magic (UK), they seem to specialize in live recordings around the swing era. I haven't heard much from them, but what very little I have has sounded like they picked up recordings whose quality wasn't up to other companies' liking. But I'm interested in hearing more of their collections before making a serious judgement.

-FF

Ron

#8 Post by Ron » Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:25 pm

Oh no, the dreaded "chicken" set. Every new swing DJ is tempted by it...

KevinSchaper

#9 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:21 pm

Ron wrote:Oh no, the dreaded "chicken" set. Every new swing DJ is tempted by it...
I used to torture people with poultry music on thanksgiving.. then I found out that along with the pulling out of fingernails, it's against the geneva convetion.

djstarr

#10 Post by djstarr » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:00 am

KevinSchaper wrote:
Ron wrote:Oh no, the dreaded "chicken" set. Every new swing DJ is tempted by it...
I used to torture people with poultry music on thanksgiving.. then I found out that along with the pulling out of fingernails, it's against the geneva convetion.
LOL..... ok, I don't think two songs about chickens in a row constitute a "set" - more like a song association game......

It seems that people don't really notice anyhow, though maybe a whole night of poultry music would raise some heads - ha!

I sometimes play a Jimmy Rushing song then play Mr. Five by Five --- to me that's damn funny, but no one else get it. I also like the jokes on Laffy Taffy :lol:

SirScratchAlot

Re: Cab Calloway

#11 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 am

Kyle wrote:any have this album? do you like it?

im interested in King Porter Stomp, good arrangment? how's the quality
I would be very interested in that CD as well, being that on the 45 broadcast he apparantly on sings one out of 6 or something like that. I wish he would of recorded more non-vocals, as his band was top notch and swing against anyone....let me know if you get this CD!
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Swifty

#12 Post by Swifty » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:55 am

I think I saw a local record shop selling this CD for $5. There were more than one copy. I'll double check today, if you're interested in getting it cheap I'd be willing to drop it off at the post office.

funkyfreak

Re: Cab Calloway

#13 Post by funkyfreak » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:46 am

SirScratchAlot wrote:I wish he would of recorded more non-vocals, as his band was top notch and swing against anyone....
That's because he was one of the hardest asses in the business, and he got what he demanded :twisted: Top notch.

-FF

yedancer

#14 Post by yedancer » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:12 pm

I just bought this today at a store in town that was going out of business. It was $9.00 and I got it for 30% off :D. Anyway, I haven't listened to all of it, but so far the sound quality isn't amazing, but not horrible. I'll post again when I've had a chance to listen to the whole thing.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

SirScratchAlot

#15 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:20 am

Swifty wrote:I think I saw a local record shop selling this CD for $5. There were more than one copy. I'll double check today, if you're interested in getting it cheap I'd be willing to drop it off at the post office.
Yea, totally, if you have the time, I'd dig a copy....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet