Cab Calloway

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

Re: Cab Calloway

#16 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:22 am

funkyfreak wrote:
SirScratchAlot wrote:I wish he would of recorded more non-vocals, as his band was top notch and swing against anyone....
That's because he was one of the hardest asses in the business, and he got what he demanded :twisted: Top notch.

-FF
Well look at who was in his band! nothing but the best...

it's a shame he had to sing on top of them so much....

I keep waiting for a huge mother load of stuff to come out where he had to give his voice a rest...and cut the band loose for instramentals...yea, I'm dreaming...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

main_stem

#17 Post by main_stem » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:14 am

Well look at who was in his band! nothing but the best...

it's a shame he had to sing on top of them so much....

I keep waiting for a huge mother load of stuff to come out where he had to give his voice a rest...and cut the band loose for instramentals...yea, I'm dreaming...[/quote]

Oh man I picked up this Jazz Archive CD in Boise that is mostly instrumentals of the Calloway band featuring Chu Berry. Smoking stuff. This band swung and swung hard. It really is a shame that all the stuff put out features his vocals.

Hep Jazz also has a disc featuring Chu and Dizzy but I haven't been able to find any info on it since they stopped distributing in the US.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

SirScratchAlot

#18 Post by SirScratchAlot » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:49 am

main_stem wrote:
Oh man I picked up this Jazz Archive CD in Boise that is mostly instrumentals of the Calloway band featuring Chu Berry. Smoking stuff. This band swung and swung hard. It really is a shame that all the stuff put out features his vocals.

Hep Jazz also has a disc featuring Chu and Dizzy but I haven't been able to find any info on it since they stopped distributing in the US.
serious stuff man...I'd like to hear some of that stuff. Ya know, I have some stuff as well I'll break it out so we can compare what we have....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Serg

#19 Post by Serg » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:23 am

Kyle wrote:any have this album? do you like it?

im interested in King Porter Stomp, good arrangment? how's the quality
Tipping in a little late on this thread.I do have this CD. I picked up an used copy for $7.00. The quality is decent and there are many danceable songs. I particularly like "Hard Times" and "15 Minute Intermission".

Serg

Swifty

#20 Post by Swifty » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:22 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:Yea, totally, if you have the time, I'd dig a copy....
I checked the other day, it wasn't there, sorry...

CafeSavoy

#21 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:11 pm

Serg wrote: I particularly like [...] "15 Minute Intermission".

Serg
i have that song from this Apollo Theatre boxset, cool song.

djstarr

#22 Post by djstarr » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:01 pm

So I played my Dad, who will be 70 this year, "Oh Grandpa", from "Are you hep to the Jive"..... he says "Oh, that guy wasn't nearly as popular as other swing bands" ---- "in fact, he was the Sonny Bono of swing"....

Basically Cab was considered more of a hoofer and a show man than a band leader...which seems to back up some of the sentiment on this thread of wishing he wouldn't sing so much.....

kitkat

#23 Post by kitkat » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:30 pm

I was going through some downloaded Natch videos I hadn't seen, and there was this one with Cab Calloway as bandleader, and a bunch of men in zoot suits, and women with pinstripe skirt-suits (white on top, black on bottom) all dancing. It was an instrumental piece. Anybody know offhand what song I'm talking about?

CafeSavoy

#24 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:43 pm

I got this live Cab Calloway recording, Get With Cab, at Amoeba that's pretty sweet. It's live recordings from 1944 - 1950. Maybe 1/3 of the songs are instrumentals.

Followiing up on Main_Stem's post, Columbia has a Cab Calloway cd featuring Chu Berry; it's part of their Best of Big Bands series. It's all material recorded between 1937 and 1939 in chronological order.

CafeSavoy

#25 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:46 pm

kitkat wrote:I was going through some downloaded Natch videos I hadn't seen, and there was this one with Cab Calloway as bandleader, and a bunch of men in zoot suits, and women with pinstripe skirt-suits (white on top, black on bottom) all dancing. It was an instrumental piece. Anybody know offhand what song I'm talking about?
what's the file name?

kitkat

#26 Post by kitkat » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:09 pm

ats01.avi

Platypus

#27 Post by Platypus » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:18 pm

Sounds like the finale from the movie musical, "Stormy Weather.".....Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, Lena Horne, and a heck of a lot more "greats" stuffed into one little film....a definate must-see if you can find a copy of the video.

CafeSavoy

#28 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:30 pm

And the song seems to be "my, my, ain't that something" which is listed on the movie soundtrack. now for it to come out on dvd.