Charlie Barnet

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

Charlie Barnet

#1 Post by Yakov » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:20 pm

I picked up the Charlie Barnet CD from the supercheap Past Perfect series -- hoo boy, nice stuff. Very crisp & swingin'. Includes the original version of "Charleston Alley" which LHR vocalized.

Any Barnet fans in the hiz house?

(online source: http://copcomco.com , click jazzmania, it may not be listed because he just got it in, also avail. from half price books)

Soma-Guy

#2 Post by Soma-Guy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:35 pm

I cannot begin to describe the awesome-ness of Charlie Barnet. His music's through the roof.

If you want an amazing read try:

Those Swinging Years: The Autobiography of Charlie Barnet
Author: Charlie Barnet, Stanley Dance

I've read many dozens of autobiographies on Big Band Leaders and this one is the bomb. The problem I have of with most autobiographies of big band leaders, is you know they're leaving lot's of the cool partying moments they had out of the book. What makes this book cool is the majority of the book is about the fun partying moments. It's got great stories of smoking sack-loads of refer, blow-jobs in elevators, drunken escapades and practical jokes. My favorite part of the book? Every time they get on a boat they manage to get totally stoned and throw all the furniture off the deck. And, while doing this, they claim to be band members of the Tommy Dorsey orchestra.

Joel

kitkat

#3 Post by kitkat » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:46 am

Oh, I so already started this artist thread last summer! But we can talk about him anyway. The man deserves two threads. :-Þ

He's at the head of my favorite band; I guess my love of Bechet as a musician ties that, so I'm not sure if one is better than the other, but nevertheless--he rocks! I'm enjoying my new Decca CD "Drop Me Off in Harlem."

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:24 am

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=290, in case anybody wants to crossreference.

It was the fifth thread on Yakov's SwingDJ Index

What is odd is that both thread's have the same name, I did not know that was possible.

Nathan

Yakov

#5 Post by Yakov » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:26 am

oops :oops: :lol: