Boilermaker JAzz Band NEW CD available NOW!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Albert System

Boilermaker JAzz Band NEW CD available NOW!

#1 Post by Albert System » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:17 am

Hi Everyone:

We here at Boilermaker Jazz Band HQ expect all of you to be there at the CD Release Party. BUT if for some crazy, unforseen reason you can't make it, you can now order our new CD "Give Me Your Telephone Number" (plus previous recordings) on www.boilermakerjazzband.com:

The music was recorded at Heid Audio here in Pittsburgh with grammy winning sound engineer Dino Distefano. It features a wonderful mix of hot and swinging tunes, so be ready to roll back the rug and DANCE! Every tune is totally danceable in terms of length and tempos. Tunes for: Lindy, Jitterbug, Charelston, Balboa, Fox Trot, it's all here!

The CD features Paul Cosentino leading the way on clarinet, as well as the sultry vocals of Jennie Luvv. Rounding out the Band are: Ernest McCarty- Bass, Gerry Gagnon- Trombone, Dan Davisson- Banjo, Mark Kotishion- Piano, Rich Strong- Drums, Eric Emmons- Guitar.

The tunes are:
1. I'll Always Be In Love With You
2. I Can't Believe You're In Love With Me
3. Until the Real Thing Comes Along
4. It's De- Lovely
5. Give Me Your Telephone Number
6. How About You?
7. Minor Swing
8. For All We KNow
9. The Song Is Ended
10. I Never KNew
11. Out of Nowhere
12. I'm Gonna Lock My Heart
13. Sunday
14. Don't Go 'Way Nobody
15. I'm Putting All My Eggs In One Basket
16. Who's Sorry Now?
17. I'm Making Believe.
Time: 64:18

CD RELEASE PARTY! April 16th, James Street Tavern, Pittsburgh
8pm- 12am
(412) 323- 2222 for reservations if you would like dinner.

We hope you enjoy the music!!!

Paul Cosentino
Boilermaker Jazz Band
(412) 361-6610
bmjazzband@aol.com
www.boilermakerjazzband.com

Jake

#2 Post by Jake » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:54 pm

Picked up my copy on Saturday. Lovin' it. So far my two favorite tracks are "Minor Swing" and "Don't Go Away Nobody."

With Paul's permission, I've put clips online:
http://gs294.sp.cs.cmu.edu/~jake/bmjb/.

Try it, you'll like it!!!!

Swifty

#3 Post by Swifty » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:31 am

I really dug these guys at DCLX - I picked up a copy of the CD but haven't given it a listen yet. I'd recommend it based on them live though.

SpuzBal

#4 Post by SpuzBal » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:16 pm

Those clips sound really good. I'll have to keep this album in mind when I have some more money.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

djstarr

#5 Post by djstarr » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:45 am

I've listened to the first 5 tracks; quite enjoyable - I also really liked what they played at DCLX and had a great time DJ'ing the band breaks for them.

I was really impressed that they listened to the DJ'ed music enough to come in on "Big Butter and Egg Man" and finish up the song live --- that's what I call flow ;-)

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:29 pm

Just finished cataloging the new CD - I'm going to play it tonight at the Century. My favorite song is the title one - "Give me your telephone number" - nice high energy that you can charleston/bal/lindy to.

I also like the version of Minor Swing.

And I was really impressed by the bass player on Friday - I have never seen a bass slapped quite that hard.

Albert System

#7 Post by Albert System » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:08 pm

I hope those of you who have received a copy are enjoying them. PLease let me know what you think....

Albert System

#8 Post by Albert System » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:46 am

I hope everyone who asked for a CD has now received one. Please do not hesitate to ask for a copy if you are willing to play it when you DJ.

Also- if anyone is interested in reviewing it- please do! Don't feel obligated to be nice either- we'd love to know what you honestly think.

Paul Cosentino
Boilermaker Jazz Band

Albert System

#9 Post by Albert System » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:48 am

From www.jazzreview.com

Featured Artist: Boilermaker Jazz Band

CD Title: Give Me Your Telephone Number
Year: 2004
Record Label: Boilermaker Jazz
Style: Traditional Jazz
Musicians: Paul Cosentino (clarinet,vocals), Jennie Luvv (vocals), Mark Kotishion (piano,vocal), Ernest McCarty (bass), Rich Strong (drums), Gerry Gagnon (trombone), Dan Davisson (banjo), Jay Cosentino (trombone), Eric Emmons (guitar), plus special guest Eric Suseoff (guitar).

Review: The Boilermaker Jazz Band describes themselves as "an ecstatically fun band performing authentic hot jazz, ragtime, and swing." They're not kidding. Their music is energetic and well-played, and just has to be fun for both players and audience.

Clarinetist Paul Cosentino founded the group in 1988 while at Carnegie Mellon University. The Boilermakers play everywhere from radio to concerts to swing dances. They've recorded six CDs, including an award-winning CD for children. (If only more bands would attempt to pass jazz on to future generations!)

"Give Me Your Telephone Number" was recorded in Pittsburgh in January 2004. The session blends a lively mix of mid-tempo standards and up-tempo swingers and the flavor is definitely New Orleans and Chicago. Cosentino's mellow sound on his antique Albert system clarinet and Jennie Luvv's period vocals will transport you to the twenties and thirties when most of the tunes were introduced. Cosentino and pianist Mark Kotishion also show they can sing as well as play!

There's a whole lot of good listening here! The title tune was composed by trombone master J.C. Higginbottom. The interesting chart salutes J.C. appropriately by using twin trombones. On "Minor Swing" by Django Reinhardt, the band really cuts loose. The tom-tom/clarinet sequences wlll take you back to "Sing, Sing, Sing" while Django would have appreciated the guitar solo by Eric Emmons. Cole Porter's "De-Lovely," perhaps anticipating this summer's film, showcases Paul, Jennie and more fine guitar. Gerry Gagnon's gutbucket trombone and sparkling piano by Kotishion are put to good use on "I'm Gonna Lock My Heart"while the Boilermakers prove there's a lot of life left in "Don't Go Away Nobody" from 1900. The session ends with a romantic trip to 1944 and "I'm Making Believe,"the most recent song on this CD.

Mariss Jansons, maestro of the Pittsburgh Symphony, summed it up. BRAVO!

Tracks: I Will Always Be in Love With You, I Can't Believe You're in Love With Me, Until the Real Thing Comes Along, It's De-lovely ,Give Me Your Telephone Number, How About You?, Minor Swing,For All We Know, The Song is Ended, I Never Knew, Out of Nowhere, I'm Gonna Lock My Heart, Sunday. Don't Go Away Nobody, I'm Putting All My Eggs in One Basket, Who's Sorry Now? I'm Making Believe.

Artist's Website: http://www.boilermakerjazzband.com

Reviewed by: Bill Falconer

Albert System

#10 Post by Albert System » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:07 am

Hey there gang- just wanted to pass along some reviews of the Boilermaker Jazz Band's latest CD: "Give Me Your Telephone Number".

Please let me know if you would like a copy for review, radio or DJ play.

You can purchase one securely on-line at our website www.boilermakerjazzband.com, and soon on www.cdbaby.com, and of course at any of our shows.

THANKS!

Paul Cosentino
Boilermaker Jazz Band

Review: The Boilermaker Jazz Band describes themselves as "an ecstatically fun band performing authentic hot jazz, ragtime, and swing." They're not kidding. Their music is energetic and well-played, and just has to be fun for both players and audience.

Clarinetist Paul Cosentino founded the group in 1988 while at Carnegie Mellon University. The Boilermakers play everywhere from radio to concerts to swing dances. They've recorded six CDs, including an award-winning CD for children. (If only more bands would attempt to pass jazz on to future generations!)

"Give Me Your Telephone Number" was recorded in Pittsburgh in January 2004. The session blends a lively mix of mid-tempo standards and up-tempo swingers and the flavor is definitely New Orleans and Chicago. Cosentino's mellow sound on his antique Albert system clarinet and Jennie Luvv's period vocals will transport you to the twenties and thirties when most of the tunes were introduced. Cosentino and pianist Mark Kotishion also show they can sing as well as play!

There's a whole lot of good listening here! The title tune was composed by trombone master J.C. Higginbottom. The interesting chart salutes J.C. appropriately by using twin trombones. On "Minor Swing" by Django Reinhardt, the band really cuts loose. The tom-tom/clarinet sequences wlll take you back to "Sing, Sing, Sing" while Django would have appreciated the guitar solo by Eric Emmons. Cole Porter's "De-Lovely," perhaps anticipating this summer's film, showcases Paul, Jennie and more fine guitar. Gerry Gagnon's gutbucket trombone and sparkling piano by Kotishion are put to good use on "I'm Gonna Lock My Heart"while the Boilermakers prove there's a lot of life left in "Don't Go Away Nobody" from 1900. The session ends with a romantic trip to 1944 and "I'm Making Believe,"the most recent song on this CD.

Mariss Jansons, maestro of the Pittsburgh Symphony, summed it up. BRAVO!

Reviewed by: Bill Falconer www.jazzreview.com

Review: This is a great album. All 17 tracks are totally danceable. It's got a very hot- jazz/ dixieland feel to it. Itf you like Balboa this is an awesome album to have. They play a wide range of tempos, and I believe I heard they cut this album specifically for dancers. A hot new mix of vocals and instrumental numbers... plan on dancing!

(Out of a possible 10) Listenability: 10, Danceability: 10 Sound Quality: 10

Reviewed by: Brent Keane www.jivejunction.com

Review: The Boilermaker Jazz Band plays music that might have been performed best in the 1920's and 30's, but they ensure that the tradition continues.

"Minor Swing" and "Out of Nowhere" swing with ease and grace and feature some sparkling guitar licks. Cosentino takes the music to a crescendo before being joined by Gagnon's tailgate- style trombone.

Jennie Luvv is quickly developing the nuance necessary to interpret the music of the 1920's. She delightfully delivers Cole Porter's "It's De-Lovely" and Irving Berlin's "I'm Putting All My Eggs in One Basket" and floats just above the rhythm on "I'm gonna Lock My Heart"

The Boilermakers play rhythms that are regular and driving making it enjoyable for dancing.

Reviewed By: Nate Guidry, Pittsburgh Post- Gazette