Too much groove for me, lately

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Too much groove for me, lately

#1 Post by Matthew » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:49 pm

[Disclaimer: This is a bit of a rant about something that's been bothering me lately. Contained herein is personal opinion. Also, sorry to bring this topic up again, but it's really been frustrating me.]

I'm sick of groove. Really, really sick of it. I've heard only a handful of classic songs played at dances lately. In fact, there's been so much groove, especially really slow stuff, it's begun to feel like dancing in mud. Then, when a mid-tempo, classic song comes along it feels fast and challenging.

We have many ECS and WCS dancers here. I understand that they may want groovier music. I want (at least a significant amount of) the stuff that originally influenced the dance and that the dance influenced. I'm feeling dissociated from the music, and it makes it hard to dance.

I'm not anti-groove. I've just had too much of it lately. I feel like I need some crisp, classic swing to help me enjoy dances. The last time I had a healthy, unmitigated dose of it was about two months ago, at SoFLeX. Perhaps after a large dose of the classic stuff I'd be able to appreciate the groove songs. The preponderance of the one, though, certainly has let me appreciate the other (kind of like in a set, when you get people to want a certain sound, then give it to them).

Ever feel this way or the opposite way? If so, what did you as a DJ do? Do the ECS and WCS dancers in your scene affect the music that's played?

I've been thinking about finding a dance partner and spending hours just dancing with classic swing. Perhaps also attending a lindy exchange.

Shorty Dave

Re: Too much groove for me, lately

#2 Post by Shorty Dave » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:53 pm

Matthew wrote:The last time I had a healthy, unmitigated dose of it was about two months ago, at SoFLeX.
LOL. SoFleX was an unmitigated dose of classic swing in comparison to what you currently hear?! Wow!!!

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:59 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:
Matthew wrote:The last time I had a healthy, unmitigated dose of it was about two months ago, at SoFLeX.
LOL. SoFleX was an unmitigated dose of classic swing in comparison to what you currently hear?! Wow!!!
Dave, you beat me to it! :)

Not that I had a problem with the music at our lovely exchange, but I wouldn't say there was a preponderance of classic swing at SoFlex. But I guess it's all in the beholder.

Matthew... I know that Brendan likes to play/dance to more classic swing... have you thought of talking to him and the PSG?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:20 pm

Matthew wrote:I've been thinking about finding a dance partner and spending hours just dancing with classic swing. Perhaps also attending a lindy exchange.
Come to Seattle! Either Camp Jitterbug (Memorial day weekend) or Seattle Lindy Exchange (Aug 6 - Aug 8th). We have tons of classic swing here, and we have been getting into hot jazz so much that we have a roaring debate on our local forum about how we just have too much Charleston music being played.

I think DCLX will have tons of classic music also, that's a little bit closer for you.

(And for those of you who like groove and/or slower music, we will have plenty of that for you at the Seattle Exchange - we are aiming this year to represent our entire scene at the Exchange; a significant portion is blues/groove/slower tempos).

We had a group of dancers in Seattle who felt the same way a couple of years ago, they started their own venue so they could work on dancing to classic swing and hot jazz --- if you have the resources to do this, this seems like a good way to build a classic swing scene.

Matthew

#5 Post by Matthew » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:45 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:
Compared with what we normally have, yes, it was a real treat. What's worse is that we don't even have much variety among the groove songs, and keep hearing the same ones over and over.

gatorgal

#6 Post by gatorgal » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:17 am

Matthew wrote:
Shorty Dave wrote:
Compared with what we normally have, yes, it was a real treat. What's worse is that we don't even have much variety among the groove songs, and keep hearing the same ones over and over.
Have you tried working within the "system" as it were? Maybe you're part of a silent majority that needs to vocalize your concerns.

Tina 8)

Soupbone

#7 Post by Soupbone » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:22 am

Being sick of "groove music" is sooooooooo fall 2002. :wink:
Gary

mousethief

#8 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:40 am

Soupbone wrote:Being sick of "groove music" is sooooooooo fall 2002. :wink:
Yeah, now you can be sick of "soul" and "soul jazz" instead.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

sonofvu

#9 Post by sonofvu » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:59 am

I can't wait to be sick of Lite Jazz. Come to the GSWLF next year. And go to Seattle. And LA. And Ultimate.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

yedancer

#10 Post by yedancer » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:49 am

Actually, the most trendy thing now is to be sick of people who are sick of any sort of music.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Greg Avakian

#11 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:09 am

yedancer wrote:Actually, the most trendy thing now is to be sick of people who are sick of any sort of music.
LOL! Thank you for that insightful post.

Lawrence

#12 Post by Lawrence » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:40 pm

As I read this thread, I'm listening to Clark Terry's "Mumbles" on an Oscar Peterson tribute album.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Roy

#13 Post by Roy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:00 am

Matthew be happy your not trying to Lindy Hop in Tampa in 1999. Every event was neo swing or Rock a billy.

I'm curious what events now play groove that formally did not?

Nando

#14 Post by Nando » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:23 pm

I was at Z Grotto last month, and there was a lot of rockabilly - especially during the last hour. I didn't think there was much groove there at all.

I'd say SoFlex had a decent mix, but a lot more groovier music than I heard in Tampa.

gatorgal

#15 Post by gatorgal » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:51 pm

Nando wrote:I was at Z Grotto last month, and there was a lot of rockabilly - especially during the last hour. I didn't think there was much groove there at all.
The Grotto is one of the only places I know in the state that still gets a rockabilly crowd. Especially when Paul DJs. I'm sure the atmosphere is different when Abdel DJs, but through a quirk of fate, I've never been there when Abdel spins.

I personally don't mind the rockabilly folks at the music. It's so different than the norm that I appreciate the change. Especially since the dancers are super friendly.
Nando wrote: I'd say SoFlex had a decent mix, but a lot more groovier music than I heard in Tampa.
It's funny that you and others have mentioned this since the one knock I heard as that all the DJs that weekend (myself included) sounded alike.

I didn't think so, but I'm too biased to make an opinion.

Tina 8)