Too much groove for me, lately

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#136 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:02 pm

Lawrence wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:Your over use of sarcastic remarks and your inability to answer my simple questions with direct responses speaks volumes. Thanks.
And your abuse of your moderator status to remove ineffective posts you made and then took back later speaks volumes, too.

What happened to the simple "'Nough said" post that followed my most recent post and that was on this thread for ten minutes but is now missing? :lol:
I think anybody can edit their posts. They can delete them if nobody has replied, I think that is how it works. So, I don't think he abused his moderator privledges. At least not in that way.

However, I was surprised by his "Nough said" response, it read like he admitted that you had set him straight, that you had out talked him. Which would have been odd.

Mr Awesomer

#137 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:43 pm

Lawrence wrote: And your abuse of your moderator status to remove ineffective posts you made and then took back later speaks volumes, too.

What happened to the simple (and somewhat conciliatory) "'Nough said" post that followed my most recent post and that was on this thread for ten minutes but is now missing? :lol:
I simply editted my post to further explain the "'Nough said." Basicly that your comments we're "'Nough said" to show you had nothing to add. You're really reaching aren't you.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#138 Post by Lawrence » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:48 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:Your over use of sarcastic remarks and your inability to answer my simple questions with direct responses speaks volumes. Thanks.
And your abuse of your moderator status to remove ineffective posts you made and then took back later speaks volumes, too.

What happened to the simple "'Nough said" post that followed my most recent post and that was on this thread for ten minutes but is now missing? :lol:
I think anybody can edit their posts. They can delete them if nobody has replied, I think that is how it works. So, I don't think he abused his moderator privledges. At least not in that way.

However, I was surprised by his "Nough said" response, it read like he admitted that you had set him straight, that you had out talked him. Which would have been odd.
Yes. But there were responses after he posted it, so he shouldn't have been able to delete it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

gatorgal

#139 Post by gatorgal » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:28 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
gatorgal wrote:Can someone moderate the moderator?
Did I "attack" anyone?
That's how I read it from this side of the planet.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Mr Awesomer

#140 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:47 pm

gatorgal wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:
gatorgal wrote:Can someone moderate the moderator?
Did I "attack" anyone?
That's how I read it from this side of the planet.
I'm finding it interesting that people who don't dance "the groove" will still attempt to teach dancing "the groove" to others. Perhaps it would be of better service to the students to refer them to someone more qualified in said skill.

How do you read that statement? Is it still an attack? And if so, how?

If I wanted learn how to efficiently Lindy to up-tempo music, I certainly wouldn't approach Greg for lessons.

If I wanted to learn how to do "the groove" as it were, I certainly wouldn't approach Peter Loggins for lessons.

Hence, I find it very interesting if/when such people with certain skills in certain areas cross over into areas they are not as strong in… and I don’t see how this benefits the ones trying to learn. Is it the saying that someone isn't strong in an area what you feel is an attack? I don't think Lawrence or Greg would argue that "fast" Lindy isn't a weak point in their bag of dancing tricks.

Now, if I wanted to learn how to do both, I'd go to someone like Andy or Skye... or if I were a girl going to someone like Giselle or Ramona... but that's whole nother 10 page thread in the making.

To take this back to a DJing topic (hahaha) you can take out the word "lessons" above and replace it with the word "music."
Last edited by Mr Awesomer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

paul13

#141 Post by paul13 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:48 pm

man, i thought lindy hoppers didn't like the rockabilly crowd or the music. now i see that you don't even like each other.

keep talking though. get it all out and eventually you'll come to some sort of agreement. i hope.

i can tell you something though. there's none of this bullsh!t in the rockabilly "scene" regarding rockabilly music being too fast or too slow. they just want to dance. we might not know as many moves and study the "dance" like the lindy hoppers do, but at least we don't have to deal with silly nonsense like BPM's or hollywood vs. savoy.

any thoughts????.......

Mr Awesomer

#142 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:50 pm

paul13 wrote:man, i thought lindy hoppers didn't like the rockabilly crowd or the music. now i see that you don't even like each other.
We'd have to be all in the same group to not like "each other" ... if you know what I mean.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

paul13

#143 Post by paul13 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:25 pm

so you're all fine when you're apart, but when you're together in a group.....look out !!!!

i'm not sure i understand totally.

yedancer

#144 Post by yedancer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:57 pm

There is no hollywood v. savoy anymore, for one thing.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

paul13

#145 Post by paul13 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:04 pm

no hollywood vs. savoy anymore??

good!!!

i'm glad you guys finally sorted that out.

GemZombie

#146 Post by GemZombie » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:57 am

yedancer wrote:There is no hollywood v. savoy anymore, for one thing.
Tell that to the people in my scene... *sigh* they still try to make up style issues where they don't exist.

I even hear "that's a hollywood song" from time to time. UGH!@#$

"uh, no... it's Swing".

Abdel

#147 Post by Abdel » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:12 pm

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of selecting most of the music at ALHC for the American Semi fast division round. Afterwards, I remember Rueben commenting on yehoodi on how playing fast music was not necessary my confort zone. He also did say that he didn't think any of the music I selected was particularly bad. Now, I did not take offense to it because he was just making an obsevertion from our past encounters, judging from the music he heard me played. But that was two years and a lot has changed since that time.

I don't know Laurence and I have not seen Greg dance in a long time. I can't really comment on their fast lindy. But, I can say one thing for sure. I may not know how to follow, but I know what I expect my follows to do while they dance with me. Just because you have the skills to dance fast doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to execute those skills on the dance floor. However, you might be able to teach others what you think they ought to do. Of course, ideally it would help if you can actually demonstrate to your students what you expect them to be do, because sometimes words aren't enough to illustrate your point.
Last edited by Abdel on Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drew

#148 Post by Drew » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:38 pm

GemZombie wrote:
Tell that to the people in my scene... *sigh* they still try to make up style issues where they don't exist.

"uh, no... it's Swing".
ehh...the white bread 40s pop stuff that made it to a lot of movies is what I'd think they are talking about. Specifically "Watch the Birdie" and other things of that ilk.

GemZombie

#149 Post by GemZombie » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:03 am

Drew wrote:
GemZombie wrote:

"uh, no... it's Swing".
ehh...the white bread 40s pop stuff that made it to a lot of movies is what I'd think they are talking about. Specifically "Watch the Birdie" and other things of that ilk.
You'd think so...

No, they treat anything over 160bpm as "Hollywood". Actually, it's only a few people I'm talking about, and they *are* getting better about it... If I only could convince them to just listen and dance rather than over label everything.

You know, I don't hate all of the "white bread 40's pop" myself. Some of it isn't so bad to listen to or even dance to. But like everything, it's gotta be in moderation.

Drew

#150 Post by Drew » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:12 am

Heh. I guess that makes sense, because people in LA only dance to fast big band music.