Local Music

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

Local Music

#1 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:33 am

I know a thread on local music exists, but how often do you incorporate local talent into your sets? Is it even a priority for you?

Personally, I'm playing some select James Gilyard and Big Al Dupree pieces locally (and not locally). Hell, I broke out Johnny Reno two weeks ago.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

BryanC

#2 Post by BryanC » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:31 am

If I'm away in another scene, it's ultra important to me to incorporate local talent into my sets. In my own scene, not quite as much, since we go out all the time to dance to them live. Not much point in playing the band you just heard two weekends ago.

Jake

#3 Post by Jake » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:17 pm

I will DJ local bands in local venues for two reasons: (1) they just released a new album and I want to give it some exposure, or (2) they are playing an upcoming gig and there's people in the room who might be enticed to go if they hear a track.

Out of town, I always try to play them, but only the bands I think deserve it. There's a number of bands in Pgh which don't even warrant a space in my binder.

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:39 pm

I love to incorporate locals in my sets. Unfortunately though, either we don't have enough musicisians who play music we like or I'm not looking (and we're not supporting) in the right places. There just never seems to be enough good jazz in South Florida.

But I digress...

I play my friend Abbe Samuels (www.abbesamuels.com) all the time... unfortunately she's getting out of the jazz game. Bummer.

My friend Karen performs live at the Fountainebleau every week; I try to see her every chance I get and encourage others to do so. The one CD she has isn't really danceable, but she's recording another one in the next few weeks. She promises to have some gems for me and is asking me to talk it up when it's done. :)

Karen also turned me onto a local singer named Nicole Henry (www.nicolehenry.com). I got her latest CD a couple of weeks ago and really loved and have been playing a couple of track off of it.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Jerry_Jelinek

#5 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:55 pm

The northern Ohio area is full of locals who play jazz.

I have an annual 3 hour show (usually in the summer) that features nothing but locals.

It is also EXTREMELY important to support them at clubs, bars, and other live events. That way the proprietor/organizer understand that the live music is important.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it is very important to me to support the artists who I enjoy being with.

I'll get off the soap box now.

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:21 pm

Jake wrote:I will DJ local bands in local venues for two reasons: (1) they just released a new album and I want to give it some exposure, or (2) they are playing an upcoming gig and there's people in the room who might be enticed to go if they hear a track.
ditto the above.

I will also play good local stuff when dj'ing out of town.

julius

#7 Post by julius » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:48 pm

Mora's, Eddie Reed, Bill Elliott, Dream Team at the Binge, Chicago 6, all these I would (and have, except for Mora) played. It's pretty cool that our "local" bands are basically national big names. hehe.