food songs?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#61 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:25 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:Hi,

Been a long time since I've posted on the site.

I've been thinking of featuring a food related show and came across one that surprising I don't think has been listed in this thread

Louis Jordon - Boogie Woogie Blue Plate
Not great to dance to, but one I came across a while back that cracked me up:

Doris Day - "Tacos, Enchilada and Beans".

CafeSavoy

#62 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 pm

djstarr wrote: Not great to dance to, but one I came across a while back that cracked me up:

Doris Day - "Tacos, Enchilada and Beans".
Ray McKinley also does a version.

hepcat72

#63 Post by hepcat72 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:19 am

djstarr wrote:Peas and Cornbread
Isn't it Beans and Cornbread? Unless you're refferring to a different song... I'm listening to it now. Definitely beans. Louis Jordan.

-Hepcat72

djstarr

#64 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:01 pm

hepcat72 wrote:
Isn't it Beans and Cornbread? Unless you're refferring to a different song... I'm listening to it now. Definitely beans. Louis Jordan.

-Hepcat72
huh. Never said I always got the lyrics right lol. Beans probably taste better with cornbread than peas. ha ha ha ha.

Allen

#65 Post by Allen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:27 pm

djstarr wrote:
hepcat72 wrote:

-Hepcat72
huh. Never said I always got the lyrics right lol. Beans probably taste better with cornbread than peas. ha ha ha ha.
I can see Peas and Cornbread getting into a fight. Beans was helping out cornbread since they go hand in hand.

uniquegeek

#66 Post by uniquegeek » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 am

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring... Bananaphone!

//please don't beat me :twisted:

Cyrano de Maniac

#67 Post by Cyrano de Maniac » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:48 pm

"Bernaise" - Rebecca Kyler Downs from the album Love Me Like Candy. And, well, "Love Me Like Candy", off the same album. And "My Sugar Is So Refined" from the same album.

"How Do You Like Your Eggs In The Morning "- Arne Fogel & Maude Hixson from their album "Let's Not Be Sensible". And "When I Take My Sugar To Tea" from the same album.

"I'm Putting All My Eggs In One Basket" - The Boilermaker Jazz Band from the album "Give Me Your Telephone Number". Of course, eggs aren't referred to in the context of eating in this song. Fred Astaire also did this song, included on the album "The Essential Fred Astaire" (which frankly isn't all that great).

"Hey, Good Lookin'" - The Boilermaker Jazz Band from the album "Linger Awhile". The second isn't strictly about food, but the "Whatcha got cookin'?" might be close enough. Oh yeah, and this particular version of the song is instrumental.

"Life Is So Peculiar" - Louis Jordan & Louis Armstrong from the soundtrack to the movie "Love Affair". The reference is to food in general -- "And when I get hungry, there ain't nothin' to eat but food..."

"Candy" - BellCats, from their self-titled album. (Minneapolis group [defunct?] headed up by Robert Bell of Twin Cities Hot Club fame). On the same album you'll also find "Minnie The Moocher" and "Peaches 'n' Swing". Though "Peaches 'n' Swing" has more of a latin groove going.

Also instrumental, "Herbs and Spice" by Reynold D. Philipsek, also of TC Hot Club fame, from his album "Grey Chalet". Though gypsy jazz isn't to everyone's liking.

"Princess Poo-poo-ly Has Plenty Papaya" - Big Kahuna & The Copa Cat Pack from their album "Shake Those Hula Hips". Awesome blow-out-the-stops big band sound on this track, though I think the song may actually be about sex.

There's also a few songs that make reference to particular restaurants, or to eating in general, that could be appropriate to a "food set".