food songs?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#46 Post by mousethief » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:53 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
djstarr wrote: It also must be more suitable for lindy hop than ECS, so "Banana Split for my Baby" and "Potato Chips" are out.
You can't lindy hop to those songs?
After my latest musicality class, I would say "not really." You can jackhammer a lindy pattern over it, but it doesn't scream swingout to me.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't play it at a dance.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

CafeSavoy

#47 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:32 am

mousethief wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:
djstarr wrote: It also must be more suitable for lindy hop than ECS, so "Banana Split for my Baby" and "Potato Chips" are out.
You can't lindy hop to those songs?
After my latest musicality class, I would say "not really." You can jackhammer a lindy pattern over it, but it doesn't scream swingout to me.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't play it at a dance.

Kalman
More details please.

GemZombie

#48 Post by GemZombie » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:12 am

I realize this thread is months old, but I'm bored.

I did an hour radio show on food songs once. It was cheezy, but fun. I won'l make a lindy hop distinction (as was the intent of the original request) for you here because many of the songs are in the 40's R&B vein. Some of these I wouldn't play at a dance either :P And finally, I'm sure I missed a ton, but this was just from skimming through my collection.

Cab Calloway (or any neo swing band.. ha!): Everybody Eats when they Come to My House
Cab Calloway: Pickin' Up The Cabbage
Benny Goodman/Charlie Christian: Breakfast Feud
Dinah Shore: Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy
Eddie Condon: Home Cooking
Benny Carter: Fish Fry
Erskine Hawkins: Corn Bread
Fats Waller: Eep, Ipe, Wanna Piece Of Pie
Fats Waller: Shortin' Bread
Fats Waller: All the Meat And No Potatoes
Jay McShann: Hot Biscuits
Jonah Jones: Struttin' With Some Barbecue
Les Brown: Tangerine
Louis Armstrong: Cornet Chop Suey
Louis Armstrong: Big Butter and Egg Man From the West
Roy Eldridge: Fish Market
Sidney Bechet: Hold Tight(Want Some Seafood Mama)
Will Bradley: Celery Stalks At Midnight
Will Bradley: All THe Meat and No Potatoes
Will Bradley: Fry Me Cookie, WIth a Can Of Lard
Will Bradley: Chicken Gumboogie
Muggsy Spanier's Ragtimers: Big Butter And Egg Man [this is a better version]
Rudy Greene & His Orch: Buzzard Pie
Lous Jordan (or any neo...): Saturday Night Fish Fry
Jesse Stone (or Louis Jordan): Cole Slaw (Same song as instrumental Sorghum Switch by Jimmie Dorsey)
John Brim - Ice Cream Man (blues)
Price, Sam & His Texas Bluesicians - Rib Joint
Hal Singer - Beefstew
Tiny Grimes Orch. - Boogie Woogie Barbecue
Joe Houston: Cornbread and Cabbage Greens
Louis Jordan: Beans And Cornbread
Louis Jordan: Onion
Louis Jordan: Hungry Man
Louis Jordan/Ella Fitzgerald: Patootie Pie

mousethief

#49 Post by mousethief » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:35 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
More details please.
I don't feel the swingout in there. I can do a swingout, do lindy patterns but it doesn't feel right to me. Not in the same way it doesn't feel right for me to do a swingout to the Spinners but close. It feel more appropriate to use blues patterns for most of the song.

Which is not to be that I would get on here and post about so and so doing it a competition routine but it just doesn't make me want to swingout. I'd still dance to it, just use different patterns.

Detailed enough, chocolate soldier?

Paz...

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

CafeSavoy

#50 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:00 pm

mousethief wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:
More details please.
I don't feel the swingout in there. I can do a swingout, do lindy patterns but it doesn't feel right to me. Not in the same way it doesn't feel right for me to do a swingout to the Spinners but close. It feel more appropriate to use blues patterns for most of the song.

Which is not to be that I would get on here and post about so and so doing it a competition routine but it just doesn't make me want to swingout. I'd still dance to it, just use different patterns.

Detailed enough, chocolate soldier?

Paz...

Kalman
Just curious. Wondered if there were specific elements mentioned in class that lead you to that decision. But you seem to be relating it to personal preference. Which is cool although I don't see how Potato Chips could be considered as a blues. For that I don't see how it can be considered ECS either.

Mr Awesomer

#51 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:12 pm

My only copy of "Potato Chips" is on a CD called "Barbeque Blues."
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#52 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:26 pm

GuruReuben wrote:My only copy of "Potato Chips" is on a CD called "Barbeque Blues."
Hope you got some "Solid Potato Salad" with that barbeque.

mousethief

#53 Post by mousethief » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:36 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
Just curious. Wondered if there were specific elements mentioned in class that lead you to that decision. But you seem to be relating it to personal preference.
Yes and no. A lot of it is personal preference but it is encouraged by my latest musicality class with Paul and Sharon. Paul did an example of walking bass in a mini-history lesson using "Jump Session." The half time bass - I'm out of my element here - is great but doesn't swing anything like the walking parts. The song seems to plod, bust loose, plod, hold time, bust loose, etc.

So now I pay even more attention to the rhythm section when I am dancing. I lead almost no swingouts if the rhythm section isn't calling for it. So it's about 20% revelation and 80% inspiration.

Kalman

mousethief

#54 Post by mousethief » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:37 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:My only copy of "Potato Chips" is on a CD called "Barbeque Blues."
Or "Porkchops and Mustard Greens."

Kalman

Lawrence

#55 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:51 pm

mousethief wrote:walking bass in a mini-history lesson using "Jump Session." The half time bass - I'm out of my element here - is great but doesn't swing anything like the walking parts. The song seems to plod, bust loose, plod, hold time, bust loose, etc.
I wasn't following you until you said that. That actually makes quite a bit of sense.

Mostly, people "fill" the missing walking line when they dance to these songs. It also depends upon how strongly the half time beat is played out: whether it is soft so as to suggest an underlying walking line, or harder so as to chop that walking line up too much.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#56 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:54 pm

mousethief wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:
Or "Porkchops and Mustard Greens."
or some Shiner Bock beer....

.... oh, sorry, it's supposed to be food-related song titles. :shock: I get it now. :?

Hey, we should name a thread after that.... :o

.... oh, wait .... :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mousethief

#57 Post by mousethief » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:08 am

Lawrence wrote:I wasn't following you until you said that. That actually makes quite a bit of sense.
I try not to paraphrase concepts I don't fully understand; I just end up bastardizing them. After the class, I went back and poured over parts of my collection and found, yeah, this part doesn't swing, this part does. Not that I took it for granted before but I don't think I knew what I was doing by not swinging out to them.

Bleagh.

Kalman

djstarr

#58 Post by djstarr » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:32 pm

GemZombie wrote: And finally, I'm sure I missed a ton, but this was just from skimming through my collection.
Nice list Jesse! I like the Tangerine suggestion - that makes for a nice change of pace.

Another song that could work is "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" - although dining on my fine finnan haddie might not really refer to food either ;-)

GemZombie

#59 Post by GemZombie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:27 pm

There are a ton of songs that probably refer to food/cooking, but my memory isn't that good. I was pretty much just using titles. I found another one today, a count basie tune... "Mama don't want no peas 'n' rice 'n' coconut oil" (Vocals: Rushing)

Found it on the "Complete Decca recordings".

Jerry_Jelinek

#60 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:47 am

Hi,

Been a long time since I've posted on the site.

I've been thinking of featuring a food related show and came across one that surprising I don't think has been listed in this thread

Louis Jordon - Boogie Woogie Blue Plate