Nando

#31 Post by Nando » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:31 am

Don't forget "Knock me a Kiss"

gatorgal

Re: food songs?

#32 Post by gatorgal » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:49 am

sonofvu wrote:
kbuxton wrote:
gatorgal wrote:Just curious... why the exclusion on drinking songs?
Not sure, but those were the parameters I was given. I'm not done yet, but everyone's suggestions have helped a lot. Thanks!
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the spirits are not technically food.
Yeah, but I like drinking songs! I mean songs about drinking... I mean... oh whatever. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

kbuxton

#33 Post by kbuxton » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:31 pm

I just found another list of food songs though I don't have as many of these.

Jerry_Jelinek

#34 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:35 am

Another food related song:

Andrews Sisters with Billy May Orch - 'Don't Bring Lulu'.

This has a lot of food references. Not a swing chart. More of a novelty, fun song.

I always like playing this right after a version of Lulu's Back in Town. They fit very well together.

Jerry

Nate Dogg

#35 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:30 am

You can also find some of the food songs mentioned in this thread on this compilation. It is also pretty cheap at some used stores.

House of Blues Barbeque Blues

Jerry_Jelinek

#36 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:35 am

Another one that popped into my head while shopping for lunch. Please don't ask why I'm thinking about this song while shopping because I have no idea:

"Daddy" - The version I was thinking of is Julie London.

Also appropriate for a wedding ceremony, especially the older generation will get all of the references.

Jerry

Nate Dogg

#37 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:57 am

Nate Dogg wrote:I did some research,

Spinach song is on a lot of the drug lyric websites.

But, I first heard the song via the Risque Rhythm soundtrack. That CD is filled with songs about sex. Thus, I just assumed that it was another sex song. Made sense.

I guess the song can mean what you want it to, it can be about spinach, weed, or young girls who recently lost their virginity.

Also, there is a local dancer who is pretty religous, he always wears christian t-shirts to every dance. He kept requesting the song, I think I disappointed him when I told him the song was not really about spinach. Maybe he will feel better to know that it is probably about weed.
Continuing my ongoing fixation on this Spinach song issue.

I conducted a quick survey Tuesday night of four or five die hard dancers/die DJs around Austin, I asked them.

"Spinach Song - Is it about Dope or sex"

All of them said sex. But, what do they/we know.

Most of the internet hits for the songs deal with the weed angle. However, it is featured on both sex related and drug related compilations. Julia Lee has plenty of sex songs on her records.

However, the dope crowd claims the song. They are probably right. However, they also subscribe to the "Popeye was on weed" point of view. So, you never know. The weed sites have a bit of a bias. They look for drug references, sometimes where they don't really exist. See the link below for some interesting commentary.

http://www.hempbc.com/articles/2012.html

Somewhere the truth exists, the songwriter (I think Julia Lee wrote it, I need to check the CD at the house) must have stated what the song was about in his or her own words. Was it an intentional triple entendre (spinach, sex, and pot), or just simple double-entendre.

In any case, it is cool song and I play it all the time.

Nathan

gatorgal

#38 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:44 pm

Nate, do we need to get you in a 12 step program or something? :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

djstarr

#39 Post by djstarr » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:54 am

We had a nice time at the dance tonight debating whether you could put together a "good" set of food songs. I think the format we agreed to would be 50% food songs scattered over a two or three hour set (so at least an hour of material).

I contended it was possible. And I seemed to remember the hive mind had discussed this already. We will probably do it around Thanksgiving - ha!

Songs must be about food - *not* sex, drugs, alcohol or beverages - so "Handyman", "Viper Mad", "Java Jive", "Rum and Coca Cola" are all out.

It also must be more suitable for lindy hop than ECS, so "Banana Split for my Baby" and "Potato Chips" are out.

Feel free to add any additional songs you can think of - thanks!

TacomaTony

#40 Post by TacomaTony » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:15 am

Turk Murphy- Auntie Skinners Chicken Dinner

CafeSavoy

#41 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:04 am

djstarr wrote: It also must be more suitable for lindy hop than ECS, so "Banana Split for my Baby" and "Potato Chips" are out.
You can't lindy hop to those songs?

mousethief

#42 Post by mousethief » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:06 am

Nate Dogg wrote: I conducted a quick survey Tuesday night of four or five die hard dancers/die DJs around Austin, I asked them.

"Spinach Song - Is it about Dope or sex"

All of them said sex. But, what do they/we know.
You could have just asked Party Matt.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

djstarr

#43 Post by djstarr » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:12 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
djstarr wrote: It also must be more suitable for lindy hop than ECS, so "Banana Split for my Baby" and "Potato Chips" are out.
You can't lindy hop to those songs?
Not in Seattle ;-) Well I take that back -- no one here is really fond of Louis Prima (I'm probably his biggest fan), and Potato Chips got so overplayed here that it's not considered a "good" song anymore.

Last night I was struggling with how to describe the qualification for a "good" song without making it sound like we were snobby - but I think it comes down to regional preferences and what people here think swings hard - these two songs don't make the "good" list.

Lawrence

#44 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:25 pm

djstarr wrote:Last night I was struggling with how to describe the qualification for a "good" song without making it sound like we were snobby - but I think it comes down to regional preferences and what people here think swings hard - these two songs don't make the "good" list.
With respect, the term "swings hard" brings to mind a song that doesn't really swing, at all.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

#45 Post by djstarr » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:36 pm

Lawrence wrote:
djstarr wrote:Last night I was struggling with how to describe the qualification for a "good" song without making it sound like we were snobby - but I think it comes down to regional preferences and what people here think swings hard - these two songs don't make the "good" list.
With respect, the term "swings hard" brings to mind a song that doesn't really swing, at all.
It's not Caledonia is it? ;-0 btw, just got a really nice version of that song on a Woody Herman CD.