Swing for Toddlers

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#16 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:29 am

The Tony Bennett playground CD is great - good call!

Also, "Barnyard Boogie" by Louis Jordan. I might recommend the cartoon version for "All The Cats Join In" as well.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Matthew

#17 Post by Matthew » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:09 pm

mousethief wrote:I might recommend the cartoon version for "All The Cats Join In" as well.
I was thinking about listing that song, but by Benny Goodman. Is the cartoon version a different one?

mousethief

#18 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:26 pm

Yeah, pretty much. More importantly, it's a cartoon and cartoons are easy fare for kids.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Swifty

#19 Post by Swifty » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:11 am

I came across this album in my shopping travels:

Jazz for Kids: Sing, Clap, Wiggle and Shake

1 Old MacDonald Ella Fitzgerald 2:15
2 Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five 3:04
3 Yes! We Have No Bananas Louis Prima 3:03
4 Chicken Rhythm Slim Gaillard 2:33
5 Mumbles Oscar Peterson, Clark Terry 2:02
6 Rag Mop Lionel Hampton 2:50
7 The Muffin Man Ella Fitzgerald 2:24
8 When the Red, Red, Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along Carmen McRae 2:27
9 Potato Chips Gaillard, Slim & His Baker's Dozen 3:05
10 Doop-Doo-De-Doop (A Doodlin' Song) Blossom Dearie 2:16
11 What a Wonderful World Louis Armstrong 2:16

JesseMiner

#20 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:42 am

Sweet! That looks like a great compilation.

An album that I really want to pick up is Dan Barrett's "Being a Bear": Jazz for the Whole Family.

Here's what allmusic has to say about it:
There have been many attempts through the years to record a jazz set for children, but usually the music is either too complex or too childish, not achieving its purpose. The music on this particular CD was written to be used for a full-length animated film called The Jazz Bears. Most of the melodies (except for five originals) are pretty familiar and simple, but the solos are topnotch and colorful. The vocals (particularly those of the great Rebecca Kilgore) are swinging and charming. Although the opening, "Being a Bear," may make one think that this CD is only for children, it will be easy for adults who are fans of mainstream swing to enjoy this project. Dan Barrett (who arranged many of the pieces) is a versatile trombonist, and his vocal on "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby" is surprisingly effective. Trumpeter Spanky Davis (who has long been underrated) has quite a few hot solos, Scott Robinson (best on baritone and bass sax) is always impressive, and Jim Galloway's soprano is another asset. Recommended, for children and their jazz-loving parents alike.
Jesse

yedancer

#21 Post by yedancer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:15 pm

My friends' kid is like a year and half old was messing around with my mp3 player and was totally grooving to Oscar Peterson (Night Train). He was mesmerized by it.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Doug

#22 Post by Doug » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:05 am

Hadda Brooks - Tootsie Timesie
Frankie Trumbauer - Borneo
Frankie Trumbauer - I'm an Old Cowhand

Ron

#23 Post by Ron » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:37 am

Ryan, that looks like a good compilation. There's a few songs I don't have, so now I'm intrigued.

I bought the Dan Barrett Being a Bear and it was all right, but it didn't really seem that ideal for kids.

Lawrence

#24 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:04 pm

Funny, I just mentioned this song in another thread: "This Little Light of Mine" -Kermit Ruffins (A christian song, but not obviously so (doesn't ruin it)--sung by kids)

The following few swing-era Ella songs come to mind, too, which a friend's kid enjoys. They are all on the set "The Early Years" (part one and part two).

"Chew, Chew, Chew (Your Bubblegum)"
"Deedle-De-Dum"
"I'm Just a Jitterbug"
"The Dipsy Doodle"
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

JesseMiner

#25 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:19 pm

Kermit Ruffin's "Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner" also on Big Easy is another cute swinging one sung by kids (his I think).

Jesse