Jim Cullum Jazz Band

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

wheresmygravy

Jim Cullum Jazz Band

#1 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:35 am

I have been catching pieces of "Riverwalk, Live from the Landing" on Univ of North Texas' Jazz Stations http://www.kntu.com and it features the Jim Cullum Jazz Band from San Antonio.

They have a nice New Orleans sound. But the thing that strikes me most is the vocalist they feature a lot, Nina Ferro. She apparently is from Austrailia and has a great voice.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two artists?

The only place I have Jim Cullum's CDs is at http://www.jazzbymail.com/albums_rw/rwvjc.html.

One CD that caught my attention was "American Love Songs" which has a cut with Joe Williams singing an uptempo "Singing in the Rain". As well as several selections with Nina Ferro.

It's like I want to buy the whole catalog, each CD has some great cuts on them.....Someone talk some sense into me..... :shock:

Soupbone

#2 Post by Soupbone » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:58 am

I don't have any of their recordings. But, I stood outside of their main venue at the Riverwalk in San Antonio and listened to them perform. It seemed entertaining.
Gary

KevinSchaper

#3 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:24 pm

I have American Love Songs & Fireworks! - both have a few good tracks.. the two best are Devil and the Deep Blue See on Love Songs and Doctor Jazz on Fireworks..

ohh, and St. Louis Blues on Firworks.. Linda Hopkins is amazing.. I used to love this song and I haven't listened to it for years.. damn..

here's an easy link for all their stuff:

http://www.jazzbymail.com/albums_rw/rwvjc.html

flyingcamel

#4 Post by flyingcamel » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:29 pm

Don't have too much to add, except that I have American Love Songs. My favorite track, though too fast (260) to play often around here, is "What A Little Moonlight Can Do". "Singin' in the Rain" didn't go over with newer dancers, but I intend to try it again soon with experienced dancers. In all, there are 5 tracks which I could envision playing at some point. Definite buy in my book.

Mr Awesomer

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:33 pm

flyingcamel wrote:My favorite track, though too fast (260) to play often around here, is "What A Little Moonlight Can Do".
If you're in the Twin Citites, there are definately some dancers who wouldn't mind some more 260 neighborhood material.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

flyingcamel

#6 Post by flyingcamel » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:03 pm

Agreed. But it will clear the floor of all but about 4 couples max .... :D
We need more depth.

Mr Awesomer

#7 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:08 pm

flyingcamel wrote:Agreed. But it will clear the floor of all but about 4 couples max .... :D
Ain't nothing wrong with that a couple times a night.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

KevinSchaper

#8 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:54 pm

as long as it's not more than a few times in a night, most everyone else will enjoy the rest/show..

(ditto for blues stuff, even if it's not necessarily as much of a "show")

Lawrence

#9 Post by Lawrence » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:00 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
flyingcamel wrote:Agreed. But it will clear the floor of all but about 4 couples max .... :D
Ain't nothing wrong with that a couple times a night.
Yes, there can be....
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com