vinyl (not CDs)

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mike

#16 Post by Mike » Thu May 29, 2003 7:42 am

I don't mean to nitpick, but 78's were made of shellac or synthetic shellac, not vinyl. Here's an interesting History of Vinyl and other recording media, which includes exactly what is in each media type. Maybe we need to start a Shellac (not Vinyl) thread ;)

KevinSchaper

#17 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu May 29, 2003 10:34 am

Somehow, I feel like less of a geek because somebody posted the same thing before me..

I've looked through bins of 78's a few times, but I've never seen anything even halfway decent..

I did pick up a nice sounding Isham Jones reissue on vinyl yesterday, and some blues oriented Budd Johnson..

Yakov

#18 Post by Yakov » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:29 pm

anybody know a good web site to find old jazz LPs for a decent price? or is it just always have to be luck-o-the-bin? i'm itching for some international sweethearts of rhythm...

CafeSavoy

#19 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:31 pm

Yakov wrote: i'm itching for some international sweethearts of rhythm...
this isn't that kind of swing site. and i don't think you want to itch.

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#20 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:30 pm

main_stem wrote:Oh that's easy, and I just got it last week. International Sweethearts of Rhythm. It's 16 cuts of the Sweethearts from live broadcast for the Jubilee Radio Show and the only four studio sides they ever recorded. These women were bad ass.

My other favorite is a Count Basie and Joe Williams LP of nothing but blues.

-Kevin
Seattle
Wow so far as I know only four ISR tracks are available on CD, also from a Jubilee sessions sampler...I would actually pay to get a ripped copy of that...

Pass the history around! : )

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#21 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:33 pm

Also speaking of all girl jazz bands...anyone ever hear anything from these three?

Babe Egan’s Hollywood Redheads

The Twelve Vampires

Parisian Redheads

I've had no luck in finding anything from them...

I have some Nat King Cole and Tommy Dorsey on vinyl that for the life of me I can't find on CD...I always find stuff like that surprising because I always think that just about everything is on CD now...

BryanC

#22 Post by BryanC » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:28 am

I managed to buy a VHS copy of the documentary "The International Sweethearts of Rhythm" as well as "Tiny and Ruby: Hell Divin' Women". Both are excellent if you get a chance to see them. I don't have a turntable yet, so buying the ISR album seems a bit silly (still trying to save for a good turntable).

On that note, does anyone know if recordings of Tiny Davis' stuff were ever made post ISR? The story goes that she was considered the "Queen of the horn" next to Louis Armstrong (as King); and that Louis offered her some very large salary (maybe up to 10 times) to leave the Sweethearts and join his band.

funkyfreak

#23 Post by funkyfreak » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:35 pm

Jazz vinyl auction, this month they have 1,292 Artists: http://alljazz.com

From the Chocolate Dandies to Oscar Peterson, 20,000 records a year (with occasional other items and styles of music). Check out their Typical Record Examples.

-FF