Music buying in New Orleans

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

julius

Music buying in New Orleans

#1 Post by julius » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:40 pm

The live music here at Lindy Gras (New Orleans Lindy Exchange) is amazing. Fast, slow, classic, groovy, bluesy, two-beat, it's all represented here.

I went shopping at Louisiana Music Factory. Dudes, if you're ever in New Orleans, stop by. I scored Evan Christopher jam sessions, Duke Heitger albums, Topsy Chapman doing that "You Can't Tell the Difference After Dark", and all sorts of other incredible stuff. I wish I could have blown as much as I did at Amoeba. They have a website too which I believe is "louisianamusicfactory.com". Did I mention the music in New Orleans is AMAZING?

mark0tz

#2 Post by mark0tz » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:25 pm

ditto ditto ditto. I got some Harlam Hamfats, Georgia Wasboard Stompers - (omg the Tiger Rag!), Henry "Red" Allen, amonsgt several others that I'll post after I get some sleep.
Mike Marcotte

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:03 am

Yeah, I had a lot of luck at the Magic Bus and the Louisana Music Factory.

Even though the official shopping trip was never organized, it seems like everybody hit the right spots. When I went Magic Bus, Sergio was there, buying the store up.

After I finished there, I went over to Louisana Music Factory where I found Matt Jones and several other DJs.

Aside from what I bought, I added a number of items to my wish list.

Nathan

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:38 am

You all suck. Hopefully I'll be able to do LindyGras next year.

Tina 8)

mousethief

#5 Post by mousethief » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:52 am

Bought a few things, researching a bunch of artists.

Nothing tops Louisiana Music Factory - nothing.

Kalman

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:53 am

http://www.louisianamusicfactory.com

One could cheat and go here.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mark0tz

#7 Post by mark0tz » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:02 am

yea i could if i had any money left.
Mike Marcotte

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:56 am

GuruReuben wrote:http://www.louisianamusicfactory.com

One could cheat and go here.
Yeah, but you miss out on the ability to preview and listen before you buy :D

I ended up taking a lot of notes. In a lot of cases, if I knew that I could get a specific CD later, I held off buying during the Exchange. Just about every band we saw (Both officially at the Exchange and club hopping, had some sort of CD for sale).

Nathan

Ron

#9 Post by Ron » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:58 pm

When I was in New Orleans a couple months back I wandered into a place where I found the local Lindyhoppers (all 3 of em!), that came mostly to listen to this band whose name I forget. But it was awesome. An older black guy, playing drums. Kick ass jazz, amazing vocalists, funny stage patter. But when I checked Amazon, the only CD from him was him in a dixieland group. Anyway, they said he was playing the exchange and I'm sure he was great.

Serg

#10 Post by Serg » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:11 am

I had better luck at Magic Bus. Lots of used CDs and great variety. I also scored some good new albums at Tower Records. Didn't purchase anything from LA Music Factory. By the time I got there I had already blown over $100.00 in CDs :wink:

Serg

Nate Dogg

#11 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:56 am

Serg wrote:I had better luck at Magic Bus. Lots of used CDs and great variety. I also scored some good new albums at Tower Records. Didn't purchase anything from LA Music Factory. By the time I got there I had already blown over $100.00 in CDs :wink:

Serg
Yeah, the $5 bin had some good finds. Some of the gambles paid off. The person in an earlier thread who recommended that we start in the $5 bin provided good advice.

I did make two purchases at LA Music Factory, one used and one new, I picked up the second Chuck Carbo CD, The Barber's Blues, as well as the new Duke Heitger.

julius

#12 Post by julius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:22 am

Ron wrote:An older black guy, playing drums. Kick ass jazz, amazing vocalists, funny stage patter. But when I checked Amazon, the only CD from him was him in a dixieland group. Anyway, they said he was playing the exchange and I'm sure he was great.
bob french. he is primarily known for the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band, but he plays all styles. i heard new orleans funk, blues, swing, and bop from him this weekend. amazing. i bought two CDs of his bands this weekend.

Nate Dogg

#13 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:36 am

julius wrote:
Ron wrote:An older black guy, playing drums. Kick ass jazz, amazing vocalists, funny stage patter. But when I checked Amazon, the only CD from him was him in a dixieland group. Anyway, they said he was playing the exchange and I'm sure he was great.
bob french. he is primarily known for the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band, but he plays all styles. i heard new orleans funk, blues, swing, and bop from him this weekend. amazing. i bought two CDs of his bands this weekend.
Did he have two CDs for sale on Saturday or did you get it at one of the stores? I imagine you bought it elsewhere.

Anyway, I got the one they had for $5, let me know how the other one sounds.

julius

#14 Post by julius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:47 am

bought one at the saturday dance, got the second, newer one when i went to donna's monday night. it (along with a buffet of bbq chicken and red beans and rice) was included along with the admission.

took a listen to the newer one last night; very bizarre bad vocals in places but i wasn't paying full attention to it.

Ron

#15 Post by Ron » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:58 am

Bob French, yeah that's the guy. The stuff I heard him and his band play was awesome jazz.