What are your favorite songs right now?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#76 Post by djstarr » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:57 pm

anything by George Wettling's Jazz Band on the Classic Columbia Condon Mob Sessions -- my friend and I just split the cost of this Mosaic set and it was worth it.

Two cuts that were released as side A/B are Collier's Clambake and Collier's Climb - I heard them on Ken Wiley's KPLU jazz radio show and the only CD release of them I could find was on this set; I was really happy when my friend said he also wanted to get it since it costs $128 for 8 CDs.

Jerry_Jelinek

#77 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:08 pm

(geek) wrote:Johnny Hodges - The Complete 1941-1954 Small Group Sessions

Castel Rock, Hodge Podge, Latino
I love Johnny Hodges and I'm finishing up preparing for a tribute this upcoming week.

Jeeps Blues is the closest thing Johnny had as a theme song. I have yet to hear a bad version of Johnny playing Jeeps Blues.

But really everytime I revist Johnny Hodges, I just go into a state of pure joy.

main_stem

#78 Post by main_stem » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:40 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:
(geek) wrote:Johnny Hodges - The Complete 1941-1954 Small Group Sessions

Castel Rock, Hodge Podge, Latino
I love Johnny Hodges and I'm finishing up preparing for a tribute this upcoming week.

Jeeps Blues is the closest thing Johnny had as a theme song. I have yet to hear a bad version of Johnny playing Jeeps Blues.

But really everytime I revist Johnny Hodges, I just go into a state of pure joy.

You should check out Gerry Mulligan meets Johnny Hodges. It was rereleased last year under Verve's LP Reproduction line. It's just amazing.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Jerry_Jelinek

#79 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:51 pm

main_stem wrote:You should check out Gerry Mulligan meets Johnny Hodges. It was rereleased last year under Verve's LP Reproduction line. It's just amazing.

-Kevin
Kevin, great minds think a like. I just bought that yesterday in fact. I didn't think much of it was swing danceable, but for listening it is marvelous.

Albert System

#80 Post by Albert System » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:02 am

I love the 1941 Ellington band bersion of "I got it Bad and that Ain't good" with Hodges bending the hell out of the high note on the melody line. Ooooooooooo.....

Jerry_Jelinek

#81 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:07 am

Hi Paul,

Have you heard Hodges playing Benny Goodman's ending theme 'Goodbye'. It is on the Ellington Reprise Mosaic set.

If you love the '41 Ellington band on I Got it Bad.... wait till you check out the version of Goodbye. That just melts me to listen to Johnny play that.

Matthew

#82 Post by Matthew » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:16 pm

"Coquette" - Eddie Heywood (Jr.), from Jazz at the Cafe Society. Very sweet and mellow, though perhaps a bit sleepy.

main_stem

#83 Post by main_stem » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:46 am

Jerry_Jelinek wrote: I didn't think much of it was swing danceable, but for listening it is marvelous.
Ha ha! You're funny.

You should also terack down the couple of recordings he did with Eddie Heywood Jr for your show as well.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

julius

#84 Post by julius » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:17 am

Flash, Harry James

ckn

#85 Post by ckn » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:17 am

"Too Darn Hot" Stacy Kent
"Muddy Water" Aretha Franklin
"Rhythm" Casey MacGill
"That Night" The Swing Session

kitkat

#86 Post by kitkat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:37 am

I just wanted to reiterate how much I love Count Basie's "Shorty George." Especially the version I got on MP3 from a friend before I was a DJ (not the Decca set version, but very hard to distinguish from it other than slightly more mellow & hot at the same time).

This song is so graceful, so smooth--and so spasmic. It's not even the staccatos punctuating the song that reveal its barely-controlled exuberance. You can hear when several sections play three or four long notes together that one of those sections is holding it back just a little longer, which gives a punch during the note. You think you know that note when the chord starts up, and then it punches you in the gut.

It reminds me of really good snake hips. The motion is so smooth, but it's like there's something extraordinarily violent going on inside that's trying to kick its way out the person's body.

The song isn't lulling but interrupted by sharp surprises. It's not passionately energetic "despite" being smooth. We don't have a word for the quality of this song--"smooth" or "mellow" or "graceful" might be close English words, but none of them describe something mad to the core with only a smooth exterior.

Have a good day. Me, I'm gonna go find my Earl Tucker clip, listen to my favorite song, perhaps watch more video clips... :-)

Shanabanana

#87 Post by Shanabanana » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:21 pm

kitkat wrote:I just wanted to reiterate how much I love Count Basie's "Shorty George."
Today's voodoo moment: I started reading this post just as my iPod started playing this song...on random out of about 6,000 songs. I love it too. :)

Matthew

#88 Post by Matthew » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:49 am

"Tidal Wave" - Fletcher Henderson

It's so orchestral, yet so bad.

trev

#89 Post by trev » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:39 pm

Matthew wrote:"Tidal Wave" - Fletcher Henderson

It's so orchestral, yet so bad.
It's great in a Raymond Scott, Looney Tunes kinda way :P

Matthew

#90 Post by Matthew » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:05 pm

"Ten-Hole Blues" - Martin Lang. Gotta love the harp.