What are your favorite songs right now?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

JohnDyer

#106 Post by JohnDyer » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:47 pm

Swifty wrote: I just bought an Orphan News Boys disc from Peter last time he was in Rochester, I will have to check on the title. It's not listed on Amazon but it's good.
Good to listen to or good to spin from or both? With your DJ hat on, would your recommend this album? If so, where can I find it?! :)
John Dyer, Denver CO

Swifty

#107 Post by Swifty » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:27 pm

I will have to give it another listen to give you an answer. I'll bring it to work tomorrow for some number-crunching theme music and get back to you. :)

Matthew

#108 Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:44 am

"Grand Terrace Shuffle" - Earl Hines, from CC 1937-1939. What a song!

Matthew

#109 Post by Matthew » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:39 pm

"Darktown Strutters' Ball" - Chick Webb

This side up

#110 Post by This side up » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:29 am

This is my second post so once again forgive me.

My favorite song today is "Don't You Miss Your Baby" from vinyl ,yes remember vinyl ? a record , an lp? It's from " Buck Clayton Jam Sessions from the vault " 1988, a redo of a prevous record " All The Cats Join In , 25 star jazzmen in a Buck Clayton Jam Session" on Columbia records # cl882 recorded in 1956 with such musicians as Buck Clayton ,Billy Butterfield, Ruby Braff ,JC Higgenbottom,Coleman Hawkins ,Julian Dash ,Budy Tate,Kenny Kersey , Sir Charles Thompson ,Steve Jordan, Freddy Green, and Walter Page,Bobby Donaldson, and Jimmy Rushing .

I don't know if this version is available on cd .. It has music written by Eddie Sauter and Alec Wilder for Benny Goodman and a Walt Disney movie " Make Mine Music" 1946 .I haven't heard the Benny Goodman version. I know the Benny Goodman version is avalable but I don't know if this version is available on cd.

Anyway this record is great. It has got that big band sound of tight ,driving rhythm , and a superb vocal by Rushing and backed by some of the best musicians alive at the time,much better than Benny Goodman anyday. Great medium tempo lindy. All the songs on this record are phenomenal .This record in my opinion is one of the best I've heard ,ever.

Once again this is only my second post so please excuse

djstarr

#111 Post by djstarr » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:00 am

I cannot get enough of the George French CD I bought in New Orleans. Favorite tracks from the CD are: "You are the sunshine of my life" as well as "I'm Walking" and "Our Love is Here to Stay".

I played "I'm Walking" the other night at the Century and got a good response.

Matthew

#112 Post by Matthew » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:10 pm

"Swing Shift" - Basie. Massive, massive energy!

CafeSavoy

#113 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:57 am

This side up wrote:This is my second post so once again forgive me.

My favorite song today is "Don't You Miss Your Baby" from vinyl ,yes remember vinyl ? a record , an lp? It's from " Buck Clayton Jam Sessions from the vault " 1988, a redo of a prevous record " All The Cats Join In , 25 star jazzmen in a Buck Clayton Jam Session" on Columbia records # cl882 recorded in 1956 with such musicians as Buck Clayton ,Billy Butterfield, Ruby Braff ,JC Higgenbottom,Coleman Hawkins ,Julian Dash ,Budy Tate,Kenny Kersey , Sir Charles Thompson ,Steve Jordan, Freddy Green, and Walter Page,Bobby Donaldson, and Jimmy Rushing .

I don't know if this version is available on cd .. It has music written by Eddie Sauter and Alec Wilder for Benny Goodman and a Walt Disney movie " Make Mine Music" 1946 .I haven't heard the Benny Goodman version. I know the Benny Goodman version is avalable but I don't know if this version is available on cd.

Anyway this record is great. It has got that big band sound of tight ,driving rhythm , and a superb vocal by Rushing and backed by some of the best musicians alive at the time,much better than Benny Goodman anyday. Great medium tempo lindy. All the songs on this record are phenomenal .This record in my opinion is one of the best I've heard ,ever.
If it's the recording with the almost 10 minutes "All The Cats Join In" then it is available on cd. Great sessions although the songs tend to be long. I really like the "All the Cats Join In", it's really sweet.

GemZombie

#114 Post by GemZombie » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:38 am

CafeSavoy wrote: If it's the recording with the almost 10 minutes "All The Cats Join In" then it is available on cd. Great sessions although the songs tend to be long. I really like the "All the Cats Join In", it's really sweet.
That version of All the cats is great. Rarely played it for dancers because of the length, but it's a good "sit down and listen" tune.

CafeSavoy

#115 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:10 pm

GemZombie wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote: If it's the recording with the almost 10 minutes "All The Cats Join In" then it is available on cd. Great sessions although the songs tend to be long. I really like the "All the Cats Join In", it's really sweet.
That version of All the cats is great. Rarely played it for dancers because of the length, but it's a good "sit down and listen" tune.
I know, i think i've only played it once or twice. A great theme for a night would be "Great Songs You Never Hear Because They Are Long" and everyone gets a free pass to not feel obligated to dance to the whole song.

GemZombie

#116 Post by GemZombie » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:37 pm

GemZombie wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:That version of All the cats is great. Rarely played it for dancers because of the length, but it's a good "sit down and listen" tune.
I know, i think i've only played it once or twice. A great theme for a night would be "Great Songs You Never Hear Because They Are Long" and everyone gets a free pass to not feel obligated to dance to the whole song.
Hahaha, since our regular swing night is always free, i guess i shouldn't feel guilty about playing it ;)

zzzzoom

#117 Post by zzzzoom » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:55 am

"Midight in a Madhouse" - Chick Webb

"Troubled" - Frankie Trumbauer

trev

#118 Post by trev » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:44 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:A great theme for a night would be "Great Songs You Never Hear Because They Are Long" and everyone gets a free pass to not feel obligated to dance to the whole song.
Great! I vote for Ellington's Diminuendo In Blue And Crescendo In Blue [live] at 14:20

lindyholic

#119 Post by lindyholic » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:55 pm

Totally digging "Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me" by Sidney Bechet. I just got The Fabulous Sidney Bechet in the mail today and can't stop listening to this song.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Yakov

#120 Post by Yakov » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:23 pm

This side up wrote:This is my second post so once again forgive me.

My favorite song today is "Don't You Miss Your Baby" from vinyl
Mosaic did a CD reissue of the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions