Ray Charles

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

morte100

#31 Post by morte100 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:47 pm

"Ain't That Fine" off of his Essential Collection was the first song I regularly played at swing dances.

I played "Let's Go Get Stoned" off of Crying time at Seattle Lindy Exchange after a 20 minute tech problem interrupted my set.

"Going Down Slow" off that same album is a fave blues number of mine.

I can't get enough of "The Ray" off of The Great Ray Charles (1958) and hearing Ray on alto on "How Long Blues" on Atlantic's Best of Ray Charles (all instrumentals - hmmm) is my idea of heaven.

Nate Dogg

#32 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:54 pm

I was digging through my Ray Charles music and came across a song that sounds like it was recently used as the base of an Outkast song from Speakerboxx/The Love Below. The Outkast song is called "Spread" and the Ray Charles inspiration is "Yes, Indeed" from Birth of Soul, Disc 3.

I am not sure if it was sampled or recreated, since they sould slightly different. But, the same organ riff opens both songs.

Perhaps the little organ part is from another classic song that I don't know. Anyway, thought it was interesting.

Nathan

* The Outkast song is pretty dirty and does not have a dance beat that is condusive to partner dancing (unlike "Roses" or "The Way That You Move" which you can play as goof off music sometimes).

Yakov

#33 Post by Yakov » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:26 pm

VERY interesting!

"Yes Indeed" is an old tune by Sy Oliver, which was performed by the Tommy Dorsey Orch. and again later in a dancealicious version by S.O. himself on Black & Blue records. Ray Charles' version is a bit different, and the organ riff is original to his version.

The context on Ray's version makes me think it's from an old church song or something -- it feels like a "sample" on "Yes Indeed." But perhaps A3000 was inspired by this recording..

(Either way, it's not a direct sample, because the playing style on each recording differs slightly.)

-yakov.

Nate Dogg

#34 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:44 am

The original CD that Fathead Newman's Hard Times came from has just been re-issued on CD.

From AMG

Review by Scott Yanow
The talented David Newman, who alternates on this album between tenor and alto, made his debut as a leader at this session. Since he was in Ray Charles' band at the time, Newman was able to use Charles on piano along with Hank Crawford (here called "Bennie Crawford") on baritone, trumpeter Marcus Belgrave, bassist Edgar Willis, and drummer Milt Turner. The music is essentially soulful bebop, with the highlights including "Hard Times," "Fathead," "Mean to Me," and "Tin Tin Deo." Everyone plays well and this was a fine start to David "Fathead" Newman's career. This historic set was issued on CD by Collectables in 2005.

Original release date: Nov 5, 1958

1 Hard Times Mitchell 4:43
2 Weird Beard Crawford 4:49
3 Willow Weep for Me Ronell 4:59
4 Bill for Bennie Crawford 4:17
5 Sweet Eyes Crawford 3:45
6 Fathead Newman 5:23
7 Mean to Me Ahlert, Turk 4:16
8 Tin Tin Deo Pozo 5:20

This side up

Ray Charles on the "Classics" Blues and Rhythm ser

#35 Post by This side up » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 pm

This is one of my favorite Ray Charles albums Made in France 2001. A redo of older songs recorded in 1949 and 1050 with his Maxin(m) trio. Very tasty stuff. How many know that his real last name is Robinson that he droped because he thought he might be confused with the famous boxer "Sugar Ray Robinson" His real name is Ray Charles Robinson.

The danceable songs that I like on this album are :

I Love You, I LoveYou
Ain't That Fine
Rockin Chair
I've Had my Fun
Honey Honey (maybe too slow for some of you)
She's on The Ball

Nate Dogg

Re: Ray Charles on the "Classics" Blues and Rhythm

#36 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:28 pm

This side up wrote: How many know that his real last name is Robinson that he droped because he thought he might be confused with the famous boxer "Sugar Ray Robinson" His real name is Ray Charles Robinson.

The danceable songs that I like on this album are :

I Love You, I LoveYou
Ain't That Fine
Rockin Chair
I've Had my Fun
Honey Honey (maybe too slow for some of you)
She's on The Ball
Being that Ray did well at the Box Office, is doing great in video sales/rentals, and is up for all kinds of awards. I think a lot of people know the story about his name, since it was covered in the film.

Nate Dogg

#37 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:56 am

New Ray Charles box set. No doubt, many of us have a lot of these tracks. But, there are some new versions, unreleased tracks included.

If somebody comes across the full track listing, feel free to post it.

Nathan

Edited By Barry A. Jeckell. August 12, 2005, 10:35 AM ET

Box Set Celebrates Charles' Atlantic Catalog

By Jordan Heller Weissmann, N.Y.

photo
Rhino has compiled a massive, eight-disc boxed set containing Ray Charles' entire Atlantic Records catalog. Due Sept. 20 in commemoration of what would have been Charles' 75th birthday, "Ray Charles Pure Genius: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1952-1959)" includes nearly nine hours of music and 165 tracks, highlighted by a disc of 27 unreleased or rare cuts.

A virtually unknown Charles signed to Atlantic in 1952 and spent seven years with the label, recording some of his most seminal work and rising to stardom on the strength of such hits as "What I'd Say," "Swanee River Rock (Talkin' Bout That River)," "A Fool for You," "I've Got a Woman," "Drown in My Own Tears" and "It Should've Been Me."

The rarities disc covers a mix of session outtakes, bits of dialog and songs recorded in 1959 in a hotel room, giving the listener an insight into Charles' creative process. All but three of the tracks have never been released and several steam from a 1953 rehearsal with Atlantic co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, which was dramatized in last year's Jamie Foxx-starring biopic, "Ray."

In addition, the box sports a DVD of Charles' 1960 performance at the Newport Jazz Festival, which has never been commercially available, as well as an interview of Ertegun by "Ray" director Taylor Hackford.

"Complete Atlantic Recordings" will come housed in a replica 1950s record player case. The accompanying 80-page booklet reproduces the liner notes from Charles' original Atlantic LPs and features a new essay by Ertegun and a historical overview by Charles biographer David Ritz.

A 21-time Grammy winner, Charles posthumously received last year's album of the year award for "Genius Loves Company" (Hear/Concord), which has sold more than 3 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Yakov

#38 Post by Yakov » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:10 pm

am I the only dumbass who thought BIRTH OF SOUL was complete?
(at least complete master takes, whatever...)
-yakov

lipi

#39 Post by lipi » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:03 pm

Yakov wrote:am I the only dumbass who thought BIRTH OF SOUL was complete?
nope. :o)

though when you think about it, three cd's did seem a bit on the skimpy end for complete. the box still proudly claims it is. stupid box.

Nate Dogg

#40 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:05 am

"Complete" can be a very subjective term.

Yakov

#41 Post by Yakov » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:35 pm

i know i have every song from the atlantic era that was sampled in RAY (movie)...
maybe the complete box has five discs of outtakes, studio bullshit, etc...

man... that 3 disc set is like the bible for me... i guess this 8 disc set is the talmud