Need a gazillion recommendations

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#16 Post by mousethief » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:36 pm

julius wrote: that answer your question?
Yes.

Thank you very much. (Let me know about the Eldridge collection, 'kay?)

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

julius

#17 Post by julius » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:52 pm

dunno if i'll have time to give it a listen-through before nolx, but i'll try.

so far the jelly lord and the harry james and the mother called him bill are ruling.

mity

#18 Post by mity » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:09 am

mousethief wrote: Which Jelly Roll - Birth of the Hot?

That place rules, eh?

Kalman
this is what i got. it was 2 cds packaged together:
King Porter Stomp and Absolutely the Best.

both were really good.

djstarr

#19 Post by djstarr » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:49 am

julius wrote:dunno if i'll have time to give it a listen-through before nolx, but i'll try.

so far the jelly lord and the harry james and the mother called him bill are ruling.
Both of the Harry James? Brien said he really liked them. btw, thanks for taking me to Amoeba, I'm going to post my list of CDs soon (and anyone who gets a chance to go CD shopping with Julius should - it's quite entertaining!).

I think you will like Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson for Lindy Groove Material.

Lawrence

#20 Post by Lawrence » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:58 pm

julius wrote:The Commodore Story
:shock: :o :lol: For a second there, I thought that was a shocking little typ-o, until I looked it up and saw that it is the Commodore LABEL with a bunch of vintage jazz names on it, not The Commodores. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

Re: Need a gazillion recommendations

#21 Post by Lawrence » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:44 pm

julius wrote:So, DJing lindy groove last night made me realize that, duh, I don't have a lot of suitable modern, slower, more groovy, whatever you want to call it, music for dancing to. So, anybody got recommendations?
Again, a very open-ended question, but here are a few names to keep in mind because they always seem to leave a groovin', swingin mark on their own bands and often the bands with which they play: Ray Brown (either as the front man or a sideman), Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Charles Brown, Gene Harris, Al Grey, and W.C. Clark.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

lindyholic

#22 Post by lindyholic » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:36 pm

Though I almost never DJ off of it just because it ain't my thing, one CD that would be more modern and danceable is Blues in Orbit by Duke Ellington. Those who are into the more modern stuff for DJing and Dancing would probably really enjoy this cd.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

KevinSchaper

#23 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:14 pm

lindyholic wrote:Though I almost never DJ off of it just because it ain't my thing, one CD that would be more modern and danceable is Blues in Orbit by Duke Ellington. Those who are into the more modern stuff for DJing and Dancing would probably really enjoy this cd.
I love it, but the one place it fails, is that when you want to attain the good graces of the dedicated groover, it's all about female vocalists and piano trios.. and if you don't wanna play a ton of modern stuff, you gotta make the few you play as good for them as possible.

I wonder what, coming at it from the other side, a DJ who wants to be very groovy most of the time should play as token songs to keep classic swing fans from hating them..

Lawrence

#24 Post by Lawrence » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:57 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
lindyholic wrote:Though I almost never DJ off of it just because it ain't my thing, one CD that would be more modern and danceable is Blues in Orbit by Duke Ellington. Those who are into the more modern stuff for DJing and Dancing would probably really enjoy this cd.
I love it, but the one place it fails, is that when you want to attain the good graces of the dedicated groover, it's all about female vocalists and piano trios.. and if you don't wanna play a ton of modern stuff, you gotta make the few you play as good for them as possible.

I wonder what, coming at it from the other side, a DJ who wants to be very groovy most of the time should play as token songs to keep classic swing fans from hating them..
Not to be redundant (and not to say that I am "groovy" :) ), but... "Blues In Orbit" comes to mind. Indeed, it looked like you were implying that Blues In Orbit--which I also do recommend for every collection--is more in the middle ground between vintage and groove swing, if not leaning on the classic side because of the classic songs and arrangements. That's clearly how I consider it: middle ground, if not slightly on the classic side.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't think in terms of using the same token songs (groove or vintage) all the time, or even of playing individual "tokens" that abruptly change the rhythm of the set. Instead, I usually use a segue through Groove-Swing Blues (Gatemouth Brown, Charles Brown) to older Jump Blues (e.g. Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Joe Liggins) to vintage big bands that played jump blues (like Lucky Millinder's "Teardrops from my Eyes"), and then into whatever vintage stuff catches my eye that night.

In other words, I try to ease their ears into the transition in style or sound gradually instead of just throw in a token vintage song or a token groove song. Doing so helps even the most "groovy" dancers make the transition to dancing to vintage music easier. Doing the reverse helps the most "vintage" dancers make the transition to groove swing easier, as well. I also try to make the transition from groove to vintage and back again at least twice per night so as to keep things interesting and diverse.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

julius

#25 Post by julius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:40 am

djstarr wrote: Both of the Harry James? Brien said he really liked them. btw,
I think you will like Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson for Lindy Groove Material.
yeah, one is better sound quality and somewhat more mellow than the lo-fi cd, but both are outstanding. i've bought about 2-3 HJ clunkers up till now so i'm really happy to finally find some good stuff.

it appears that anybody surnamed "brown" is good for "groove" music. heh.

Mr Awesomer

#26 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:47 am

julius wrote:it appears that anybody surnamed "brown" is good for "groove" music. heh.
HEY!
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#27 Post by djstarr » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:32 pm

julius wrote: yeah, one is better sound quality and somewhat more mellow than the lo-fi cd, but both are outstanding. i've bought about 2-3 HJ clunkers up till now so i'm really happy to finally find some good stuff.

Cool - I'll put the Harry James on my wish list. I have been totally digging the Benny Carter "Further Definitions" CD --- I always was a fan of Phil Woods, and hearing him with Benny Carter and Coleman Hawkins is really sweet.

And you just inspired me to buy some Ruth Brown; I think dancing with Brien to her music would definitely put me in the groove.

btw, too bad I couldn't go to New Orleans; from all reports it sounded like a blast.

julius

#28 Post by julius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:36 pm

the further definitions CD has such incredible sparkle to it. i don't know if it's the musicians or the recording techniques or what, but the music just crackles out of the speakers with a lot of pizzazz.

blues in orbit is now on my to-buy list.

Lawrence

#29 Post by Lawrence » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:24 pm

julius wrote:
djstarr wrote: Both of the Harry James? Brien said he really liked them. btw,
yeah, one is better sound quality and somewhat more mellow than the lo-fi cd, but both are outstanding. i've bought about 2-3 HJ clunkers up till now so i'm really happy to finally find some good stuff.

Ray Brown, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Charles Brown... Yeah, I was actually thinking the exact same thing before you said it. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop