Mose Allison

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Zot

Mose Allison

#1 Post by Zot » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:29 pm

I haven't seen much mention of Mose Allison on SwingDJs yet. Just thought I would try and get some opinions flowing on this mellow-voiced Mississippi-born musician. Do you find his stuff good for dancing? Got a favourite track or album you'd like to recommend?

I'll start. I just picked up The Mose Chronicles: Live in London, Vol. 2 and I love it.

A particular favourite track of mine is his version of Don't Get Around Much Anymore off Creek Bank.

Ron

#2 Post by Ron » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:43 pm

I've played a few Mose Allison songs, but don't find them to be songs I play alot. I know I've played "Your Mind is On Vacation" (110 BPM) and "I Love the Life I Live" (122 BPM). What prevents them from being great is that the tempo/feel is a bit sleepy and his songs have too many breaks. I dig him, though. With this reminder, I'll have to go back and give him a listen again. Maybe (Gasp!) I'll actually play the whole CD through. (when I get CDs, I pick out the best songs and put them on my hard drive, and then it may be a long time until I listen to the album again...)

Lawrence

Re: Mose Allison

#3 Post by Lawrence » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:44 pm

Zot wrote:I haven't seen much mention of Mose Allison on SwingDJs yet. Just thought I would try and get some opinions flowing on this mellow-voiced Mississippi-born musician. Do you find his stuff good for dancing? Got a favourite track or album you'd like to recommend?
Like "Young Man's Blues" off "The Who: Live at Leeds?" :lol:
(written by Mose Allison)

I have played some Mose Allison with mixed results. From what I have of his music, Mose Allison is somewhat like a vocal Thelonious Monk: the rhythmic accents and his vocal phrasing are often too off-beat to work well for most Lindy Hoppers. Same thing with Ben Sidran, another great modern jazzman with a similar voice and style as Mose. It challenges some Lindy Hoppers too much, even though I love the change.

But, come to think of it, I do think I'll put some on to listen to it right now... 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:09 pm

Can't stand Mose.

I bought a few CDs way back when I was first building a book and I took Paul Overton's recommendations.

Ugh.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:31 pm

I originally did not like him much at all, but over time he grew. He is one of those guys who just seems "cool." I don't play him a lot, but when I do, it's usually later in the night when things are slowing down.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

kbuxton

#6 Post by kbuxton » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:42 pm

mousethief wrote:Can't stand Mose.
I really don't care for his voice...

Zot

#7 Post by Zot » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:46 pm

I prefer his voice in his early stuff, but it seems to me he's definitely always had one of those limited-range voices with an intriguing tonal quality, like Billie Holiday or something. Not that I would compare them in terms of talent, but his voice is interesting to me in the same way.

Bob the Builder

#8 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:41 pm

I've got "The Best of Mose Allison" link
It was on Paul Overton's must get CD list. It's not bad. I like his material once in a while. I think it is very easy to get board of him, if he is over played.

Brian

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:17 am

I've spun "Seventh Son" a couple of times and had good success with it --- I personally love Moses, but I think a little bit goes a long way.

Shorty Dave

#10 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:36 am

Mose is awesome live...if you ever get the chance to see him, don't miss it. Great jazz, plus his lyrics are histerical.

I can especially relate to "I'm just a middle class white boy...trying to have some fun" LOL :)

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:51 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Mose is awesome live...if you ever get the chance to see him, don't miss it. Great jazz, plus his lyrics are histerical.

I can especially relate to "I'm just a middle class white boy...trying to have some fun" LOL :)
I've seen Ben Sidran live, who is somewhat of a clone of Mose, and it is a great show, as well: at least for sittin and listenin.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#12 Post by falty411 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:49 am

I saw Mose at the Dakota in Minnesota.

one word

*snore*
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Roy

#13 Post by Roy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:26 pm

I saw him at the Chicago Blues festival, I liked him in a small setting he disapeared on the large stage.

Downeastdancer

Mose Allison

#14 Post by Downeastdancer » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:37 pm

I love using Van Morrison's album in which he sings the songs of Mose Allison. Much cleaner for dancing. Mose is one of our favorite guys to just listen to. We sat 5 feet away from him when he came to Maine about 10 years ago for a small, intimate summer gig. After the performance, my whitehaired husband told him he was a big fan when in high school. Mose took a good look at him and said with a sardonic grin "Hmmm - how do you think that makes ME feel?" It was a great evening.
"Take A Train!"

morte100

#15 Post by morte100 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:59 pm

sardonic grins rule. "that's alright" (prestige collection greatest hits) is a winner in bluesy situations at 103 bpm. i love listening to him or playing somethings in non-dance situations, but not a lot of actual swing imo. _d