Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

main_stem

#16 Post by main_stem » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:54 am

BryanC wrote:
Yakov wrote:international sweethearts of rhythm
international sweethearts of rhythm
international sweethearts of rhythm
and international sweethearts of rhythm
And unfortunately, they only recorded one album.
Actually it's a compilation of their studio recordings and air checks. The album concept was not around then.

The LP can be found off and on on eBay. That's where I found it after 2 years of looking.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

russell

#17 Post by russell » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:08 am

Regarding The International Sweethearts of Rhythm

THeir new CD just arrived today. Some good stuff on there - mostly Jubilee radio sessions.

See

http://www.worldsrecords.com/cgi-bin/st ... ved=artist

Bob the Builder

#18 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:40 am

That's interesting. It doesn't seem to be a complete live recordings.

It doesn't have:

Blue Lou,
&
Swing, Shift - Big Band Jazz The Jubilee Sessions - 1944
June 1944, Hollywood- Show 88 Live,

It does look Like a great album.

Here is a nice link that you should like.

Brian

Eyeball

#19 Post by Eyeball » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:23 am

ISofR - there is also a very good video documentary on the band with archival footage and interviews with some of the surviving women. The video I have also has a documentary on Tiny Davis, one of the trumpet players in the band.

I think I have that LP around here. Rosetta Records, I recall.
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#20 Post by Eyeball » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:33 am

main_stem wrote: The album concept was not around then.

-Kevin
Actually, the album concept and reality was around back then....it's why they call them "albums". 78 rpm records would often be issued in albums that contains between (usually) 3 - 5 records, oftimes new recordings; sometimes reissues. The artists name would be on the cover of the album with some type of cover art.

Lots of jazz and pop and tons of classical recordings were issued in album form.

I have a collection of a few hundred 78 rpm albums that I simply saved for the cover art and design. I tossed the records out b/c they were common or beat up.

I want to do a gallery showing of them someday. Some of the 'worst' music had some of the best covers.

They also used to sell specific, though generic artist albums w/o records in them so you could store all your Ellington or Dorsey or Shaw or Miller or James records in a nice looking art cover album instead of just having them laying around in paper sleeves or sleeveless or in those really common ultra generic albums that would hold 10 single records.

OK...done.
Will big bands ever come back?

lipi

#21 Post by lipi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:20 am

hey, this old thread was mildly interesting.

my current wishlist, mostly of things-i-never-seem-to-find (or only for $50 on amazon):

count basie, the golden years volume 3
big 18, more live echoes of the swing bands
duke ellington & ella fitzgerald, stockholm concert; there's another edition (which is even on emusic), but it misses the last two tracks.
earl hines with dicky wells, at club hangover 1954; it's $25 on amazon right now...i'm tempted.
alberta hunter, downhearted blues
the swan silvertones, the swan silvertones/saviour pass me not
the three peppers, 1937-1940; sigh.

there are also a bunch of mosaic sets that i drool over on ebay every now and then, but...yeah.

anton

#22 Post by anton » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 am

djstarr wrote:Charlie Barnet's version of Cherokee
Hint: The best sounding version of the original recording (1939) can be found on The Fabulous Swing Collection

The hifi version from The Everest Years is also suberb (it runs for 7 minutes but I've edited it down to 3:23)

djstarr

#23 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:56 pm

anton wrote:
djstarr wrote:Charlie Barnet's version of Cherokee
Hint: The best sounding version of the original recording (1939) can be found on The Fabulous Swing Collection

The hifi version from The Everest Years is also suberb (it runs for 7 minutes but I've edited it down to 3:23)
Thanks! I actually have the track on the Big Band Box Set but I'm not sure if I've uploaded it yet.

I should post my new shopping list, quite a bit different from what I posted on this thread a couple years back; especially since I'm dj'ing more blues venues so my range is a lot wider. However I still have some room for track that swing hard!