Henry Red Allen

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

Henry Red Allen

#1 Post by Yakov » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:03 pm

what are the best cds by henry red allen?

i saw a red allen on red vinyl lp the other day but i didn't buy it because i thought it was no good... turns out the instore sampling player was messed up. i'm so dumb! i hope they still have it when i go back...

falty411

#2 Post by falty411 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:23 pm

The Dynamic Trumpet by Henry Allen is a really great sampling of his material from 29-46 and artist like Luis Russel, King Oliver, Coleman Hawkins, Sidney Bechet, and Horace Henderson.

-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:43 pm

World on a String is my personal favorite. It has a great line up fthat includes Coleman Hawkins and Cozy Cole. When I got it I didn't take it out of the CD player for a week.

"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Lawrence

Re: Henry Red Allen

#4 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:14 pm

Yakov wrote:red allen on red vinyl lp
FYI, because you indicated you were just starting out with records... and if that wasn't a typo... red vinyl is not nearly as good as black vinyl for sound quality. Picture discs and colored record albums were a novelty that compromised sound quality. It might be better than not having it at all, but if there is a choice, go with the black vinyl. Also, I wouldn't pay a premium price for it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

KevinSchaper

#5 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:19 pm

All the colored vinyl I have sounds fine.

falty411

#6 Post by falty411 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:00 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:All the colored vinyl I have sounds fine.
same here

picture discs definitly suck though
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

funkyfreak

#7 Post by funkyfreak » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:52 pm

I dunno if it's my favorite, but I do keep going back to the 2 disks of 1929-1930 with outtakes.

-FF

djstarr

ride red ride

#8 Post by djstarr » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:48 pm

I'm also enjoying this album:

It's got his work with Fletcher Henderson, Horace Henderson, Coleman Hawkins, Teddy Wilson, Sidney Bechet, plus his All Star group. I'm about halfway through cataloging the CD, but I really like the version of Bugle Call Rag on it.

KevinSchaper

#9 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:23 pm

I've picked up a couple of Red Allen LPs lately, but haven't listened to em more than once or twice..
Red Allen, Jack Teagarden & Kid Ory at Newport
Struttin with some Barbecue & St James Infirmary have just crazy energy, but the rest of the album was kinda forgettable.. and even those two tracks seem kinda questionable for the dance floor Struttin is real long, and they're a little too excited when they go into St James Infirmary, so it's like, a little too fast and rushed, maybe.. or at least, compared to the World On A String version..

Red Allen Plays King Oliver
I think I really dug a couple of the songs on it, but damned if I can remember which ones with allmusic not having a track list..

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#10 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:36 pm

I'm listening to Luis Russell 1926-1929 Classics right now and he is on that...along with barney bigard, j.c. higginbotham and bill coleman and it's pretty tight you should check it out...

about the colored vinyl, pressing plant peeps always used to say that lighter colors especially clear would be of slightly less good sound quality than lets say a thicker mix like purple marble or black...but i don't think i could ever tell...

picture disks are real cheesy glad to say i don't own any...

Yakov

#11 Post by Yakov » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:16 am

no, it was $4 just like all the others, but i despair of being able to find it again...

also, there's a JSP twofer of red allen 1929-30 that i've never heard

funkyfreak

#12 Post by funkyfreak » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:57 pm

You mean the one I mentioned?

-FF

Lawrence

#13 Post by Lawrence » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:about the colored vinyl, pressing plant peeps always used to say that lighter colors especially clear would be of slightly less good sound quality than lets say a thicker mix like purple marble or black...but i don't think i could ever tell...

picture disks are real cheesy glad to say i don't own any...
Hey! I have a David Bowie, Star Wars, and Police picture discs that I'm proud of! :lol: But mroeso for the novelty.

That is what I heard about colored discs. The difference between colored and black discs is not black and white. It also is not like the color issue with CD-Rs where different colors last longer than others and the cheap ones will completely die in a few years. But in an A-B comparison, colored discs are said to be of noticeably lower quality than black ones, making them more of a novelty item than anything. Some of my colored records do sound "fine," as well. But others have sounded cheap and awful: confirming the theory that if they choose to go novelty on the item, then there is at least a good chance that they will compromise in other areas. For only $4, if you want it, then go ahead and buy it. It's just something to consider.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Yakov

#14 Post by Yakov » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:05 am

funkyfreak wrote:You mean the one I mentioned?
:P