The Bix Centennial All-Stars

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SpuzBal

The Bix Centennial All-Stars

#1 Post by SpuzBal » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:58 pm

After almost a year of meaning to buy their album, Celebrating Bix!, I finally got it yesterday. Oh man, is it ever rad. Easily one of my all-time favorite albums. I've probably listened to it two or three times through since I got it last night.

Some of the tracks are treated with more of a swing feeling, while some have more of a 20s flavor. There's not one track on this album that I personally wouldn't love to dance to (of course, my taste really tends toward the whole hot jazz/Charleston-y feel, which isn't what the majority of dancer seem to dig, at least primarily). If you like that sound at all, you should buy this album.

It's got probably close to 80 minutes' worth of music, in addition to excellent, extensive liner notes. It's kind of a cool concept, too - they have three cornets and have written harmonized parts for them based on Bix's solos. (Don't worry, though - there's plenty of improvisation too.)

Check out the sound samples here, especially "Borneo." The personnel list is pretty impressive, too: Randy Sandke, Dick Hyman, Joe Ascione, Howard Alden, Dan Barrett, to name a few.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Yakov

#2 Post by Yakov » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:50 am

got it, love it. i heard some of these guys perform in pittsburgh (they're from ny). great musicians. i think the scored solos are cheesey but everything else is great. wonderful vocals, rhythm, etc.

SpuzBal

#3 Post by SpuzBal » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:00 pm

Yeah...the scored solos are a little unusual. It's kind of a cool concept to take a solo and harmonize it for three cornets, though, at least.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart