Pee Wee Russell

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

Pee Wee Russell

#1 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:48 pm

I've been spinning tracks regularly from Swinging with Pee Wee since I got the CD a couple of months ago.

Anyone have any other Pee Wee Russell they like especially?

shortyjul

#2 Post by shortyjul » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:13 am

I have loved him for years. I am kind of backwards. I discovered Red Allen through Pee Wee. My favorite work of his isn't really danceable - it's a vinyl of his called Ask Me Now! Pee Wee plays Monk & Coltrane - it's kind of a weird concept, but it's damn good. OH COOL - As I sit here looking at it, I realize Greg's dad produced it - I never caught that one before. :) I burned it and listen to it a lot.

Besides Swingin' and Ask Me..., I only have him on Red Allen (Swing Out), Louis Armstrong (AllStars vinyl), and (ewwwwww - don't judge me) my ONE Bix Biederbecke comp.

His later stuff that I have heard kicks ass. According to his liner notes, it's because he wasn't piss-drunk then.

There's a PSA in there somewhere, kids.

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:40 am

shortyjul wrote:it's a vinyl of his called Ask Me Now! Pee Wee plays Monk & Coltrane - it's kind of a weird concept, but it's damn good. OH COOL - As I sit here looking at it, I realize Greg's dad produced it - I never caught that one before. :) I burned it and listen to it a lot.
This was just released on CD through Verve's limited edition line. It's an incredible album. There are some dancable cuts on it, they ten to border a little more on the abstract ide of things.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Anybody have this album? Big Eight: Jack Teagarden/Pee Wee Russell ---- I'm inferring from allmusic's review that it is two separate combo's, so Jack and Pee Wee aren't playing together, but the octets look great - Teagarden's octet features Rex Stewart, Barney Bigard and Ben Webster, Pee Wee's octet includes Dicky Wells.

Here's the amazon link - it has some more detail on the album.

lindyholic

#5 Post by lindyholic » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:48 pm

I've got it and it's pretty decent. I may play a song off of it for you tomorrow night. I finally gave it a good listen to yesterday actually, it's not too bad at all.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:34 am

damn I hate you ----- glad you are coming down to Seattle - looking forward to hearing a cut or two from it. That's a Serious Thing came in today so maybe we will be having a little Teagarden theme tomorrow.