12%
Every few days
8%
Every day
No votes

Total votes: 25

Greg Avakian

#16 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:42 pm

I feel like I used to always buy around gigs, particularly when traveling. That still happens, but I'm much more conservative than I used to be.

I can't imagine what my collection would be like without so many trips to used CD stores. There is nothing like being able to read liner notes and "sample" at the same time. By far my best and most unique finds have come from used CD stores.

Online is cool for searching and research too. It is amazing what you can learn from 15 mins. on allmusic.com. I can also appreaciate being able to download something that you might not buy a whole CD for... :)

Soma-Guy

#17 Post by Soma-Guy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:02 pm

lindyholic wrote: I only wish I had access to the Vancouver Public Library, they got some stuff I've been hunting for everywhere and have been yet to find except from there.

Harrison
Yeah I finished plundering and pilaging the VPL a few months ago. This includes all their jazz and blues selections as well as the box sets. Lots of my great stuff came from there. Also Harrison, don't forget that the mainland is HUGE and contains dozens of libraries. I've gotten many a gem from the smaller libraries that wouldn't immediately come to mind.

lindyholic

#18 Post by lindyholic » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:04 am

Soma-Guy wrote:
lindyholic wrote: I only wish I had access to the Vancouver Public Library, they got some stuff I've been hunting for everywhere and have been yet to find except from there.

Harrison
Yeah I finished plundering and pilaging the VPL a few months ago. This includes all their jazz and blues selections as well as the box sets. Lots of my great stuff came from there. Also Harrison, don't forget that the mainland is HUGE and contains dozens of libraries. I've gotten many a gem from the smaller libraries that wouldn't immediately come to mind.
I shoulda checked out the Pitt Meadows library while I was home, I still have my library card for there haha.

I'm thinking of getting a visitor card for whenever I'm down there. Then that way while I'm there I can just take out cds.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#19 Post by djstarr » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:32 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
I found the Four Tops swing sessions at the library. I would never have checked for swing songs by them.
I really dug the Four Tops song Jesse spun at the Hawaii Exchange....

julius

#20 Post by julius » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:13 pm

I tend to go shopping only every few months, but when I do, I come home with a HUGE haul and a sizeable dent in the bank account. Damn Amoeba for having ATM readers at the cash register!

I haven't bought much recently though because I figure if I haven't listened to all the CDs I bought last time, I don't deserve to go shopping again.

Lawrence

#21 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:17 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:I can't imagine what my collection would be like without so many trips to used CD stores. There is nothing like being able to read liner notes and "sample" at the same time. By far my best and most unique finds have come from used CD stores.

Online is cool for searching and research too. It is amazing what you can learn from 15 mins. on allmusic.com. I can also appreaciate being able to download something that you might not buy a whole CD for... :)
It's somewhat an unwritten rule of music business in Austin to allow customers to not only preview any used AND new CDs, but also give them 10-14 days to return opened CDs for in-store credit if they don't like it. (The theory being that even people who intend to "burn and return" will inadvertantly forget to return it and end up keeping it.) It makes me far more willing to go out on a limb and expand my tastes beyond the artists I know I like, already.

Nonetheless, I'm still in the same boat as Rayned of realizing several months ago that I have too much undiscovered/forgotten territory in the CDs I already own to justify frequently buying hoards of CDs like I used to do.
Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#22 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:18 pm

Friendly free legal advice: as I've written privately to some and elsewhere on this thread, it probably is a very bad idea to discuss or admit that you burn CDs, at all, on this board. If the music industry is really looking for "examples" to make of copyright violators, then scouring internet bulletin boards of DJs for admissions would be one very logical place to look for potent examples amongst some of the worst violators.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Mr Awesomer

#23 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:47 pm

We're all breaking the law anyway. How many of the clubs/venues/events we attend/run/play for and/or make money off of have thier BMI, ASCAP, and/or SESAC licenses in order?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#24 Post by julius » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:32 pm

http://westcoastswingamerica.com/boot1.htm
http://westcoastswingamerica.com/boot2.htm

These articles were written in 1997. The second refers to the ASCAP/BMI issue, but both are worth reading.

julius

#25 Post by julius » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:35 pm

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/types.html

Types of licenses ASCAP grants. I expect we fall under "dance clubs and associations".

KevinSchaper

#26 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:45 pm

GuruReuben wrote:We're all breaking the law anyway. How many of the clubs/venues/events we attend/run/play for and/or make money off of have thier BMI, ASCAP, and/or SESAC licenses in order?
The clubs probably do pay, since representatives of the organizations basically show up and demand the money.

Lawrence

#27 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:08 pm

GuruReuben wrote:We're all breaking the law anyway. How many of the clubs/venues/events we attend/run/play for and/or make money off of have thier BMI, ASCAP, and/or SESAC licenses in order?
Yes, but that doesn't mean you should make it easy for them to prove a more serious violation. Moreover, admitting that we DJ does not admit that we are doing so without a license (they need to further investigate), or that we are doing so knowingly. Admitting that you are copying CDs from the library is an admission of knowingly violating the law.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Yakov

#28 Post by Yakov » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:46 am

right on. pittsburgh library has a complete run of proper boxes, lots of mosaic boxes, the lady day set, the ellington rca victor set, 15-cd thelonious monk box, complete ella songbooks (but the only worthwhile one for dancing is the Ellington set), many many great box sets and discs

for library fans: ILL = Interlibrary Loan. become its friend. it brought me many great discs: nat cole after midnight, basie rca victor, and other fun things. you often have to wait several weeks or months but usually what you asked for shows up eventually

Soma-Guy

#29 Post by Soma-Guy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:58 pm

Yakov wrote:right on. pittsburgh library has a complete run of proper boxes, lots of mosaic boxes, the lady day set, the ellington rca victor set, 15-cd thelonious monk box, complete ella songbooks (but the only worthwhile one for dancing is the Ellington set), many many great box sets and discs

for library fans: ILL = Interlibrary Loan. become its friend. it brought me many great discs: nat cole after midnight, basie rca victor, and other fun things. you often have to wait several weeks or months but usually what you asked for shows up eventually
Right on man! But because of that statment you're surely going to the slammer: For admitting to giving terrorist c.d borrowing techniques! But that's okay because, since I'll be there too, you and me can spend our days in jail discussing ways to get c.d's from libraires.

Yakov

#30 Post by Yakov » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:48 pm

well, yeah, the situation right now is precarious: a friend of mine who's in law school told me there was a case where it became illegal to rent CDs a` la` Blockbuster (possible uses of this might be, f'rinstance, renting a full DJ kit for a party. you can't do it), but somebody snuck in an exemption for libraries... it's anyone's guess how long that will last...

-yakov.