Every few days
8%
Every day
No votes

Total votes: 25

Matthew

How often do you buy CDs?

#1 Post by Matthew » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:58 pm

For those of us who buy CDs (rather than downloading music, etc.): On average, how often do you buy CDs (new or used) to add to your collection?

Just curious.

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:33 pm

The selection at our local music stores sucks for anything but new releases of pop music. I usually end up going on an online binge every couple months. Just about due for another binge.

djstarr

#3 Post by djstarr » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:22 am

Now that I've got enough CDs to DJ regularly (I'm at about 125), I'm trying to not buy as often until I get my collection fully catalogued and backed up. However, that's pretty tough to do, I'm running about 20 CDs in the hole (and that doesn't count the Big Band Box Set).

Internet shopping is pretty addicting also, especially combined with this forum ;-)

CafeSavoy

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:48 am

i used to buy them every week plus more before and after major gigs. but i've been trying to cut back and not go shopping as often. trying to concentrate more now on reviewing the stuff i have. either listening to the mixes i've made or adding the new stuff to the mixes. I'm thinking of getting another external hard drive for copies of all my mixes to make it easier to revise them.

Roy

#5 Post by Roy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:32 pm

Maybe the question should not be how often, but how much. I personally only buy once a month off the internet but I buy stuff that I have been saving throughout the whole month. I know exactly what I want. I don't tend to go to used CD's stores very often in most cases I get much better cd's knowing what I want then having to get what someone else does not want.

gatorgal

#6 Post by gatorgal » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:03 pm

Roy wrote:Maybe the question should not be how often, but how much.
Good point... there are no used CD stores near my apartment that I particularly like, so I also do whatever shopping for CDs and such online. I also tend to make large purchases that are spread out over time.

Although lately, I have been relying on some swaps with a few of the forum members. :) As always, I'm eternally grateful.

Tina 8)

CafeSavoy

#7 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:03 pm

Roy wrote:I know exactly what I want. I don't tend to go to used CD's stores very often in most cases I get much better cd's knowing what I want then having to get what someone else does not want.
Ok, since you don't shop used i'll trade you the Vienna Borders for Jazz Record Mart.

Jake

#8 Post by Jake » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:04 pm

Roy wrote:I don't tend to go to used CD's stores very often in most cases I get much better cd's knowing what I want then having to get what someone else does not want.
Too bad. If DJing meant that you have the same taste in music as the general population, you wouldn't be a very good DJ. So by definition a good DJ can find some great stuff in a used CD store. Not to mention you can listen to a lot of stuff you wouldn't have found otherwise; and you can listen to the entire CD; and that there are a lot of CDs out there that aren't available on the Internet anymore.

I visit used record stores on a regular basis, and I probably buy 75% of my music from them. I use the Internet to listen to samples when they are available, and I keep a list of the albums I think I'd like to buy, but I only buy off the Internet if: 1) I know the album is great, and I really want it right away for a specific reason, or 2) I know it's a pretty good album and I haven't been able to find it in any used CD stores for a few months, or 3) I have a gift certificate I want to blow.

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:15 pm

Jake wrote: Not to mention you can listen to a lot of stuff you wouldn't have found otherwise; and you can listen to the entire CD; and that there are a lot of CDs out there that aren't available on the Internet anymore.
Not to mention stuff you didn't know even existed. I've found stuff that doesn't come up on any on-line search. Or artists you weren't familar with, so didn't even know to look for.

Soma-Guy

#10 Post by Soma-Guy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:25 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
Jake wrote: Not to mention you can listen to a lot of stuff you wouldn't have found otherwise; and you can listen to the entire CD; and that there are a lot of CDs out there that aren't available on the Internet anymore.
Not to mention stuff you didn't know even existed. I've found stuff that doesn't come up on any on-line search. Or artists you weren't familar with, so didn't even know to look for.
Due to being VERY broke I've become reliant on Public Libraries and my cd burner. The result has been I've been forced to be exposed to music I didn't even know existed. Looting and Pilaging Libraries has done nothing but great things for my knowledge of music. If I only bought C.D's I don't think I would have developed anywhere near the variety of tastes that I have. As a result of being poor I barely ever buy anything. If I wasn't so short on cash I probably wouldn't have gone this route but it's definetely been worthwhile and a great musical education to boot. When I burn the c.d's I also photocopy all the other important things like band personel, dates etc. So I get all the important things that you would get when buying a c.d. Some might say this isn't the most ethical approach to building a collection but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I've recommended this to other aspiring D.J's in other cities and they've also dug up some great results from their libraries.

Bob the Builder

#11 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:34 pm

I'll buy CD's any where I can. Being able to preview tracks (in a store or on the internet) really does encourage me to buy.
I put down that I buy a few a month, but it is closer to once a week.

Brian :D

Matthew

#12 Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:50 pm

As I was creating the poll, I realized that, currently, I buy a CD every few days. It was a strange realization - I didn't think I bought them nearly that frequently. I'm about where Brenda is, with around 125 CDs and beginning to taper my purchasing (I HOPE I'm tapering it!).

I do most of my buying online, and I make good use of previews. I may visit four sites just to be able to hear a certain track or different parts of a single track. About 80% of the stuff I buy is used (or, as I like to think of it, "proven"), and I tend to buy from Amazon's Marketplace sellers. After picking up some truly spectacular bits of junk, I'm wary of buying CDs that I'm not able to preview.

JesseMiner

#13 Post by JesseMiner » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:14 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:i used to buy them every week plus more before and after major gigs. but i've been trying to cut back and not go shopping as often. trying to concentrate more now on reviewing the stuff i have. either listening to the mixes i've made or adding the new stuff to the mixes.
Same here. I used to buy CDs every few days, but now I probably just go shopping once a month or so. I still have shelves and shelves of music to go through and review and add to my books, so I can really do a lot more with what I already have.

Jesse

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:54 pm

Soma-Guy wrote:
Due to being VERY broke I've become reliant on Public Libraries and my cd burner. The result has been I've been forced to be exposed to music I didn't even know existed.
I found the Four Tops swing sessions at the library. I would never have checked for swing songs by them.

lindyholic

#15 Post by lindyholic » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:38 pm

When I have money I love going hunting for cds, it's great fun. However, this semester I'm ultra-broke and have been looking forward to hunting around at the libraries. I did some searching online for what the local libraries had and I'm looking forward to getting some stuff from there. Like Joel, I know it's not ethical, but again, one's gotta do what one's gotta do. I only wish I had access to the Vancouver Public Library, they got some stuff I've been hunting for everywhere and have been yet to find except from there.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.