Swifty wrote:
Drew wrote:Above all else:

Count Basie
Bennie Moten
Jay McShann
Duke Ellington

Honorable Mention:

Pete Johnson, Buster Smith, Lester Young, Slim and Slam
Buster Smith? Really? Do you have music I don't know about or do you just heavily rotate the seven(!) songs from The Legendary Buster Smith?

As for me, I'd have to say Basie just based on the sheer number of songs/recordings I own. I'll have to go through my setlists and see if I'm right, though.
Well, since that is the only album of his that I've been able to find...I do often play those tracks, but have also been able to find some of his earlier recordings with Claude Hopkins and other bandleaders. My honorable mentions are stuff I like to play but don't have as much material or would be otherwise too repetitive.

Basie and McShann are who I play the most.

Soma-Guy

#17 Post by Soma-Guy » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:09 pm

Within the past year the five that probably take most recently played in my sets are:

1.Tommy Ladnier
2. Bunny Berrigan
3. Hot Lips Page
4. Jonah Jones
5. Charlie Barnet

Shorty Dave

#18 Post by Shorty Dave » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:21 pm

Drew wrote:Well, since that is the only album of his that I've been able to find...I do often play those tracks, but have also been able to find some of his earlier recordings with Claude Hopkins and other bandleaders. My honorable mentions are stuff I like to play but don't have as much material or would be otherwise too repetitive.

Basie and McShann are who I play the most.
(I'm sure you also play a lot of Buster through the Basie and Moten tracks, as he was with both of them in the 20s and 30s.)

Greg Avakian

#19 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:03 pm

Ellington and Basie of course, but I try not to play more than one or two tunes by a single artist in a 2-3 hour gig. What's nice about E&B (Ella and Satch as well as others) is that their careers spanned so many decades and styles that I can stretch my little rule for them without getting bogged down in a style rut.

Bob the Builder

#20 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:37 pm

Not sure

But I do try to play the following artist in most of my sets:
Basie, Goodman, Web, T or J Dorsey & Ellington, as well as some of the other Swing Era greats.

Brian

Matthew

#21 Post by Matthew » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:02 am

Soma-Guy wrote:Within the past year the five that probably take most recently played in my sets are:

1.Tommy Ladnier...
Usually, when I find something I like, I add it to my wish list to buy later. When I find something I like a LOT, I tend to buy it right away. I had never heard of Tommy Ladnier, so I listened to some online previews of him. I bought one of his CDs right away. Thanks for mentioning him.

sonofvu

#22 Post by sonofvu » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:56 pm

Jimmie Lunceford
Al Cooper
Lucky Millinder
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

mark0tz

#23 Post by mark0tz » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:37 pm

Hm, most? Too balanced to tell... Basie I guess in the long haul... Not a sexy answer but I try to mix it up as much as I can.

Faves: Ellington (and Hodges, etc.), Harry James, Goodman, Shaw, Lunceford, Django, Joe Williams, Ella, Louis, Mills Blue Rhythm Boys, Billie Holiday (and in turn Teddy Wilson), Sidney Bechet, wtf... this thread isn't fair.
Mike Marcotte