A Gentle Reminder

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

A Gentle Reminder

#1 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:03 am

Recently we have had to remove a few posts that were inappropriate.
We would rather not have to resort to that level of moderation.
We expect you to conduct yourselves like adults and refrain from
personal attacks. Please be courteous to your fellow djs.
Thank you for your cooperation.

falty411

#2 Post by falty411 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:01 am

It would be nice if the Moderators on this forum were not so selective about the posts they remove.

You should either remove ALL inappropriate, insultive, or off topic posts or none at all. Your consitancy as moderators is EXTREMELY questionable.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

shortyjul

#3 Post by shortyjul » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:10 am

I have to admit that I agree with Mike. The reminders that have been issued re: conduct are random. Though I like the idea of this board and many of the discussions, I tend not to post. I truly do enjoy exploring different viewpoints, but when I had to read Lawrence's derogatory post re: Reuben's looks, it just made me realize that his 3rd grade defensive behavior was enough to keep me from engaging in discussion. I can totally deal with people discussing music in a heated argument, but I am NOT interested in hearing that crap. It's a shame because I was truly hoping that this board would be lively and informative and filled with people who could deal with different views without turning it into a totally egocentric, immature pissing match.

Good luck with your forum.

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:19 am

For the record, I wasn't involved in this "moderation" so I'd like to add my own "friendly reminder."

In addition to avoiding "personal attacks," please also avoid the temptation to post "baiting" type remarks that have the potential of derailing discussions. I've been guilty of this action from time to time as have many others, so let's just all stop. I can appreciate the feeling of needing to "call someone on their crap" as it were, but there is a constructive and respectful way of doing that. So please take the extra time to do that, while making it applicable to the discussion at hand.

Thanks,
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#5 Post by Lawrence » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:57 am

GuruReuben wrote:In addition to avoiding "personal attacks," please also avoid the temptation to post "baiting" type remarks that have the potential of derailing discussions. I've been guilty of this action from time to time as have many others, so let's just all stop. I can appreciate the feeling of needing to "call someone on their crap" as it were, but there is a constructive and respectful way of doing that. So please take the extra time to do that, while making it applicable to the discussion at hand.
I'm one of those "many others." :oops: As someone who has similarly (and embarrassingly) been guilty of both intentionally and unintentionally baiting squabbles, I could not agree more, and I'm really glad Reuben made that point. I should know better, myself, and I apologize for my part in it. As much as it might look like I enjoy these petty conflicts, I really appreciate the list for NOT being Yehoodi and for staying on target, even if we disagree on the substantive points.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

yedancer

#6 Post by yedancer » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:08 pm

Wow, this is a day I thought I'd never see. Also, according to Reuters.com, Hell is currently freezing over.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:45 pm

yedancer wrote:Wow, this is a day I thought I'd never see. Also, according to Reuters.com, Hell is currently freezing over.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tina 8)

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:51 pm

Thank you all for being understanding and helping us to make this board the best it can be. I am sorry you take issue with our moderation, but we are trying to do our best, still working out the kinks about what is or is not appropriate while trying to not squelch all conversations and remove any sense of personality from our discussions here. Currently we don't want to be in the position of looking to remove anything at the first sound of it being inappropriate. We hope that you can all conduct yourselves in a manner that is courteous to your fellow DJs and for now we are mainly addressing posts that are quite obviously off-topic or offensive or that have been brought to our attention by another member of the community. If anyone truly feels that they have a problem with a post that makes them feel uncomfortable or unwelcome here, feel free to personally contact Reuben, Rayned or myself, and we will most certainly look into it.

I believe this board is flourishing with very few problems, which is much more than I can say for many online communities I have been a part of. I hope we can continue to maintain this level or better as we continue to grow in the future.

Thank you.

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator

Yakov

#9 Post by Yakov » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:50 pm

Another reason not to argue: all the most interesting threads here haven't been debates about pointless non-dichotomies, they've just been threads about artists or music that's interesting.
Last edited by Yakov on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

yedancer

#10 Post by yedancer » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:31 pm

JesseMiner wrote:I believe this board is flourishing with very few problems, which is much more than I can say for many online communities I have been a part of. I hope we can continue to maintain this level or better as we continue to grow in the future.
Definitely!
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Greg Avakian

#11 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:40 am

Damn, I must have missed something good and I didn't even get to post anything obnoxious.

;)

gatorgal

#12 Post by gatorgal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:51 am

Greg Avakian wrote:Damn, I must have missed something good and I didn't even get to post anything obnoxious.

;)
You know Greg, there still is time. :)

Tina 8)

The Peanut Vendor

#13 Post by The Peanut Vendor » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:37 am

GuruReuben wrote:In addition to avoiding "personal attacks," please also avoid the temptation to post "baiting" type remarks that have the potential of derailing discussions. I've been guilty of this action from time to time as have many others, so let's just all stop. I can appreciate the feeling of needing to "call someone on their crap" as it were, but there is a constructive and respectful way of doing that. So please take the extra time to do that, while making it applicable to the discussion at hand.
I'm new to this particular board and truly haven't a clue what's going on. But here's my 2 cents, based on personal experience... Discussion boards are always dangerous. Often, people don't realize that comments they make can be baiting. So 1) everyone needs to take due care to rethink/reread every post they make so that they don't bait. And 2) Would-be respondents need to bite their tongue and not react with a public response. A more satisfactory achievement for both parties would be to 3) let the 'baiter' know that they are offended or have strong feelings against their statements and 4) get the baiter post(s) removed or revised, probably asap is best.

BTW, I really like this board! I'm slowly becoming a DJ, and there's a lot of good info I can get from this board, plus advice from more experienced music-and-tech-lovers.

cheers,
Birk