Opinion: Do people dance even if they don't like the song?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

How often do people dance if they don't like the music being played at a venue?

Never
5%
Occasionally
12%
Sometimes
47%
Often
33%
Always
5%

Total votes: 43

julius

Opinion: Do people dance even if they don't like the song?

#1 Post by julius » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:59 am

In your opinion, how often do people dance even if they don't like the particular music being played at a venue?

julius

#2 Post by julius » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:03 pm

I voted "sometimes", for the reasons I pointed out in another thread. My number one conversation starter at dances is "So, having a good time?" and it either is simply "yes, great" and then we talk about something else, or it turns into a discussion about what is going wrong with the evening, usually about the music.

Note that this is not solely a case of "classic" dancers objecting to "groovy" music but dancing anyway. The reverse is true too.

kitkat

#3 Post by kitkat » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:05 pm

"Sometimes."

I will more often dance to a genre I don't like than a song I don't like.

More likely to seek out a partner to mediocre songs within my preferred genre than fantastic songs within another, but I'll probably look for someone I want to dance with with during either kind just to make sure I dance with him sometime that night.

Mediocre songs in a non-preferred genre...usually when I'm asked to. Or if the song's slow enough, I'll take it as a chance to practice my lead because it's not a wasted song for me. If it's a faster mediocre I don't particularly like, I'll dance with some of my friends who are fabulous people but not the best dancers...then they feel more comfortable doing east coast. I get on-the-floor interaction with my friends, but I don't waste a good song on a bad dance.

I'd count anything I actively dislike as below even "mediocre," and that's when I usually won't dance. I'll convince the person who just asked me to stand around and talk out in the hall until it's over, and then we'll dance, or I'll promise him the next one.

sonofvu

#4 Post by sonofvu » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:30 pm

Sometimes.

Personally I find it hard to dance to songs that I do not like but I do it anyways because I'm there to dance and I do not want to waste that time. If a song is played that I absolutely detest then I will make myself unavailable for dancing. I often wonder about that when I'm djing. Are they dancing because they like the stuff or are they dancing just to be nice even though they hate what I'm playing?

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:40 pm

sonofvu wrote:Sometimes.

Personally I find it hard to dance to songs that I do not like but I do it anyways because I'm there to dance and I do not want to waste that time. If a song is played that I absolutely detest then I will make myself unavailable for dancing. I often wonder about that when I'm djing. Are they dancing because they like the stuff or are they dancing just to be nice even though they hate what I'm playing?
They like you. Of late, I have only heard good things about your sets. I have told people you are the ideal of example of how to inject underplayed styles into the scene without alienating dancers accustomed to the more traditional music associated with our scene. You mix things up and pay attention to the crowd at the same time. People see that, understand it, and appreciate it.

Nando

#6 Post by Nando » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:41 pm

I put occasionally for the reasons I posted in another thread.

It seems most of the responses differentiate between "not liking" a song and "destesting" a song. No one will dance to a song they detest.

mity

#7 Post by mity » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:48 pm

i put often. i am here to dance even if the song is not my cup of tea.

obviously, as nando stated, there are songs that you hate. i will only dance to those if i am asked.

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:56 pm

I voted sometimes.

I can usually tell when the porportion of dancers is lower than it should be, considering the total crowd size, venue, time of the evening. It is those cases, where people notice the DJ and his or her performance becomes a problem.

I also also am reading the question to exclude the usual small minority of dancers who don't like whatever is being played. The negative folks who spent their lives complaining about stuff. When they are the dance, they complain about the music. I classify them apart from the dancers who rarely complain.

I have seen cases of large numbers of dancers humoring a DJ, and complaining to me about it later (I was on the Board, so I get to hear the DJ complaints). In those cases, it was pretty obvious that the vibe was whack.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lindyholic

#9 Post by lindyholic » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:05 pm

I voted never, I can't get inspired to dance to music I don't enjoy.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

BryanC

#10 Post by BryanC » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:13 pm

I voted often, also with the distinction between dislike and loathing. I'll try just about anything at least once. If I'm in a different scene, probably more than once. We don't have a lot of luxury of choice out here in Calgary. Lots of live bands, but not always good ones. I've only left a bar because of the music twice--once because the music wasn't swing-able and bad, and the second because the band was mangling perfectly good, danceable songs.

Ron

#11 Post by Ron » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:26 pm

I put sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if us DJs are more picky about dancing to music we dislike than the average dancer. When I first started dancing, it was all about the dancing. Now its a lot about the music, and I'm less apt to just go thru the motions when the music doesn't inspire me. I kinda wished I was less picky.

coreyj5

#12 Post by coreyj5 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:54 pm

I put often a lot because the music here is horrible most of the time. So I usually do more socializing than dancing. But I have to dance and I try to pick the best of the bad ones to dance too. Plus at exchanges with people I don't see very often, I'll dance with them because I don't get the opportunity all the time so I'll dance to a song that I'm not really into. If I'm asked, I'll dance to whatever is playing because I don't want to be rude, but if it's friend and a song I can't stand, I'll try to get the next one.

In general, I've known a lot of people who dance even though they don't really like the dj/music. Not just here, at exchanges and workshops too.

Greg Avakian

#13 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:04 pm

Ron wrote:I put sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if us DJs are more picky about dancing to music we dislike than the average dancer.
I agree, partially because I'm picky about the music I like to dance to. I'm still surprised (disappointed?) at how few dancers "know" what they like about the music they dance to.

Nate Dogg

#14 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:18 pm

coreyj5 wrote:In general, I've known a lot of people who dance even though they don't really like the dj/music. Not just here, at exchanges and workshops too.
Your post inspired me to clarify my response, I think this makes example makes more sense.

I was at event this year that had a split crowd, a big all weekend workshop. There were a number of people from both the stereotypical groove and classic camps.

At any given time, a number of people were dancing to music that was not their favorite. The particular people varied, it depended on the DJ, it would shift from set to set.

Locally things are much more reliable in Austin. I only really notice dancers humoring DJs in the context of bad sets, not the occasional song that does not work.

If the scene is split, if there is a lot of division in your particular town. I can imagine that you will see a lot more of what Julius writes about.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorgal

#15 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:49 pm

I'm a lemming... I put sometimes too.

I will personally not dance to something I "detest". If I mildly dislike the song, I will dance to it depending on who asks me and how tired I am.

I would like to think our dancers cut me a little slack when I'm not having the best of sets. Who knows. I try to do my best to support the other local DJs, but if I don't like what they're playing I either hit the bar or do my social butterfly thing.

Tina 8)