Basie and Earl Hines

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Basie and Earl Hines

#1 Post by Matthew » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:39 am

I've come across a 45, The Earl and the Count, on which Basie and Earl Hines play together (supposedly). The recording was made in 1944. The thing is, the jacket stops short of explicitly stating that they play together. In fact, the jacket language looks suspiciously vague. I listened briefly, but it was hard to determine the number of pianos (dirty needle, I think). The album would cost about $30, plus a substantial amount to digitize, so I'd like to make sure that it's actually them playing together on the same tracks, rather than on separate sides. Does anybody here know whether or not it's actually Basie and Hines playing together? Thanks for any help.

funkyfreak

#2 Post by funkyfreak » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:54 pm

I can't find a reference to it after a (short) look, but one other not-so-rare thing to do is to simply reissue both artists' select songs on the record, hence getting both names on the jacket and giving a "variety" record.

Again, it's hard to say without seeing it myself, just something to consider.

-FF

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:21 pm

It seems like it is record with two songs by Basie and two songs by Hines.
The Basie songs seem to be from The Complete Lester Young on Keynote. The Hines songs can be found on Cozy Cole 1944. Both of the sessions are from 1944.

Hines, Earl + Count Basie The Earl and the Count EMARcy EP-1-6037 EP USA 1 Destination K.C., Six Cats and a Prince, Father co-operates, Thru for the night 30

Matthew

#4 Post by Matthew » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:13 pm

Man, that's helpful! Many thanks!