The stuff you don't like

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

#106 Post by yedancer » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:43 pm

Ron wrote:Lawrence, whatever point you are trying to make is lost in the sea of words that are your posts.
HAHAHAHA! Yet again I am provoked to laugh out loud by a post on this forum!
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

yedancer

#107 Post by yedancer » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:46 pm

Seriously, though, most points can be made in a few sentences. In fact, I generally don't read posts that are over a paragraph or two.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

kitkat

#108 Post by kitkat » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:55 pm

JesseMiner wrote:One of my favorite dance experiences was at an outdoor dance at the Austin Exchange a few years ago. Adrianna from Denver was DJing (kick ass DJ by the way!). She didn't have her books with her, so I lent her mine. We both have similar tastes, but she played a totally different set than I would have.
I did that once or twice when I was in France because I didn't really have access to more music than I already owned, and that was pretty much just the Big Band Box Set and a few mix CDs. It was a blast. And I can say I definitely didn't play the kind of stuff I thought of Olivier as playing, yet I loved his binder.

I think it'd be fun to do DJ music swap nights sometimes.

julius

#109 Post by julius » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:01 pm

kitkat wrote: I think it'd be fun to do DJ music swap nights sometimes.
I'd do that. But as a prank I'd fill my binder with Celine Dion and James Taylor except for the last four slots, which would be occupied by the Basie Proper box set.

Swifty

#110 Post by Swifty » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:03 pm

kitkat wrote:I think it'd be fun to do DJ music swap nights sometimes.
Mike & I have been planning to do this again for a while. It's great, I get to play all the great stuff he has that he forgets he owns.

gatorgal

#111 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:12 pm

julius wrote:
I'd do that. But as a prank I'd fill my binder with Celine Dion and James Taylor except for the last four slots, which would be occupied by the Basie Proper box set.
:lol:

Tina 8)

CafeSavoy

#112 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:15 pm

julius wrote:
I'd do that. But as a prank I'd fill my binder with Celine Dion and James Taylor.
are they from Manhattan Transfer?

djstarr

#113 Post by djstarr » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:40 pm

main_stem wrote:
BryanC wrote:There's enough music out there and enough variety in taste, that I think even if all DJ's were to incorporate a wider variety, we'd still end up with lots of room for individuality.
Hell ya. Unfortunately there are too many playing the same stuff they always do and others do. I find it funny when I go places and DJs are carrying 3 binders yet sound the same as the DJ the previous night or hell right before them.

-Kevin
I agree with Bryan also; and I think it comes down to organization and preparedness -- you can have a lot of CDs but if you don't know what is on them, or don't preview, then you'll probably default and spin what is familiar.

I think DJ's in Seattle have a lot of the same CDs but have different enough tastes that the sets sounds different. Do the Seattle folks on this forum agree with me?

For example, I like vocals a lot more than Kevin T and Travis do so my sets are naturally different.

And it's a lot of work to keep your music fresh - Tonya still comes up to Seattle to DJ once a month, the last time she was here I didn't recognize many of her songs, and they were all good - I was impressed.

Shorty Dave

#114 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:24 pm

falty411 wrote:its not his fault that there are tons of DJs who try to play exactly like him.
Like who? What dances do you go to and what DJs have you been listening to? I don't think I've ever met a DJ who tried to play exactly like Jesse. (In fact, I don't think I've ever met a DJ who played exactly like Jesse whether they tried to or not!)

Swifty

#115 Post by Swifty » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:40 pm

One thing most DJs at least have in common is that they don't meet Mikey's standards for playing appropriate music for Lindy Hop.

falty411

#116 Post by falty411 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:56 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:
falty411 wrote:its not his fault that there are tons of DJs who try to play exactly like him.
Like who? What dances do you go to and what DJs have you been listening to? I don't think I've ever met a DJ who tried to play exactly like Jesse. (In fact, I don't think I've ever met a DJ who played exactly like Jesse whether they tried to or not!)
There have been many events I have been to where Jesse awas a DJ and there were other DJs there as well, there have been plenty of times when I have heard someone spinning and assumed it was jesse, and then found out otherwise.

You were one of those people, at Danvers last year I believe.

There were definitly times I mistook Greg's sets for sounding a lot like Jesses. I have a much keener ear for Gregs stuff now. But that doesnt take away from the fact that the sets sounded a like.

Sharon Ashe, some candian chick whose name I cant remember, actually a few peopes whose names i cant remember, and in Herrang. Damn what was her name, she went on and on about Jesse........

Anyways, there are plent of people who have been heavily influenced by Jesse. Jesse used to live in Minneapolis and pretty much DJs every event so I am very familiar with his music. There are people that view Jesse as the "best swing dj" out there so they try to emulate. Its the same like dancing, you try to emulate who you think is the best, it will always end up sounding/looking different than the original but its easy to see the influence.

To say there isnt anybody who tries to DJ like him would be rediculous, to say he hasnt had a huge influence on DJs and lindy hop (for better or worse) is also rediculous.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#117 Post by falty411 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:58 pm

Swifty wrote:One thing most DJs at least have in common is that they don't meet Mikey's standards for playing appropriate music for Lindy Hop.
My standards are so high too:

"Does it make me want to swing out?"

as oppose to your standard

"Does it make me want to body roll and shake my booty?"
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Yakov

#118 Post by Yakov » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:43 pm

JesseMiner wrote:And Rayned can attest that I have asked him about the same Jimmy Witherspoon track on several occasions, only to be reminded each time that I actually have the track. I just need to remember to play it now! ;)
Reminds me of Pitt Stop where Nando came up to ask me what version of "Good Rockin' Tonight" I was playing -- about the same time I realized I had the CD player at +10%. ol' Spoon sounded completely different :)

I think we're doing a DJ-book swaperoo this Saturday in Pittsburgh between me and Jered/funkyfreak. Should be inneresting

Swifty

#119 Post by Swifty » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:39 pm

From what I've heard in the last year, I would hardly say that Greg, Dave or Sharon played even close sets to what I've heard Jesse play. When I heard Sharon in SF in October it was almost all soul/r&b and Dave has a penchant for small, later-era groups, neither of which I would say were characteristic of what I've heard from Jesse. Like I said, the only thing they have in common is a lack of Mike-ness.

I'd also like to state for the record I don't even know how to do a body roll, or know exactly what type of music would inspire one. Have you ever heard me DJ? I know you were sick in Columbus and sleeping during most of my set.

Shorty Dave

#120 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:49 pm

Your post says a lot about your understand/appreciation of jazz, Mike. The fact that you thought one of my sets or one of Greg's sets was Jesse actually says a lot more about *you* than it does about any of our DJing. That's like me, the self-admitted novice around rap music, saying "all rap sounds the same".
falty411 wrote: to say he hasnt had a huge influence on DJs and lindy hop (for better or worse) is also rediculous.
I didn't say that, and I apologize if you think I was implying that. Of course Jesse has had a huge influence, and I will gladly admit that on a personal level he has had a very big impact on my DJing and general appreciation of jazz. But to therefore say there's dozens of "Jesse clones" is like saying Oscar Peterson sounds exactly like Art Tatum, or Count Basie sounds exactly like Fats Waller. Or Jon Faddis sounds exactly like Dizzy Gillespie and can't do anything original. (Ok, forget the last example)