My First Gig

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#16 Post by djstarr » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:19 pm

julius wrote:If it weren't Memories I'd probably play a bit more slower stuff, but not much more. Under 100bpm is usually received pretty unenthusiastically in LA, but maybe I can keep trying it out or something.
ha - we've got quite the underground blues scene now - there are blues parties at private houses happening in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, and folks have been traveling up and down the coast to go to these.

There is one dance where we've been playing more slow blues for the last hour and people have been enjoying it; it's easy to turn the lights down lower. I've also had success playing slower standards such as "Satin Doll". But if folks aren't into it at all I wouldn't play it! ;-)

julius

#17 Post by julius » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:53 pm

Why aren't there "swing parties"?

Oh, right.

Petitetonya

#18 Post by Petitetonya » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:48 am

You did a great job the other night Julius...it was fun djing with you!

julius

#19 Post by julius » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:43 pm

Thanks! You too. Sorry I had to bail a bit early :(

Soupbone

#20 Post by Soupbone » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:07 pm

Although I did at my very first gig (couldn't tell you what all I played at this point, 'cept it was a "Kansas City" theme), I have never kept playlists. However, that seems to be something that a lot of the Seattle folks do.... and since I'll be a seattle folk in less than a month (woo hoo!!), I guess I'd better start. :)

Seriously, though, I've never had the patience. I don't write them down or anything as I go through the night or plan much of anything in advance (although I do sit down the day of or day before the gig and make a list of things that I don't typically play, which keeps me from going on autopilot). So, I'd have to take that extra step, and I'm not sure my lazy ass can do that.

But, anyway, Julius. That set looks good! Of course, if anyone wants to hear Massechusets, all they need to do is come to Atlanta. It's still played out here.
Gary

Petitetonya

#21 Post by Petitetonya » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:37 am

Actually, when Julius played Massachusetts, everyone was dancing so no matter how many times it has been played, it seemed to still fill the floor. And it brought back some nostalgia for us old schoolers;-)

yedancer

#22 Post by yedancer » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:06 pm

Petitetonya wrote:Actually, when Julius played Massachusetts, everyone was dancing so no matter how many times it has been played, it seemed to still fill the floor. And it brought back some nostalgia for us old schoolers;-)
Ha! The only reason he played it is because he heard ME play it the week before at Aubergine. Copycat. :P
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

julius

#23 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:17 pm

The best part is that someone was yelling "TIMMY" the first few times Maxine said "Massachusetts"...be proud.

JesseMiner

#24 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:01 pm

julius wrote:The best part is that someone was yelling "TIMMY" the first few times Maxine said "Massachusetts"...be proud.
"TIMMY" is what you yell during "Watch The Birdie", while "WASSUP!!?!?!" is what you yell during "Massachusetts". Get it straight. ;)

Speaking of which, does anyone know where you can download the "remixes" of either of those songs. I haven't heard them in ages and have long since lost the mp3s.

Jesse

PS. Great way to end your set, with "Massachusetts". I love that song and definitely don't hear it enough these days. That was always a floor-packing song back in the day.

Mr Awesomer

#25 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:43 pm

I've got 3 of them, but they are at home.

Sullivan's Massachusetts Whazzup Mix
O'Day's Massachusetts What are you doing? Mix
O'Day's Watch The Birdie Timmy Mix

oh, as well as the

Hampton's Jivin' With Jarvis Shommer Shabus Mix
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#26 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:05 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Get it straight. ;)
Uh, oh yeah. Well, whoever was yelling "Timmy" was confusing me. Yeah, that's it.

gatorgal

#27 Post by gatorgal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:36 pm

I just have the "Watch the Birdie" remix... if you don't have it by SoFlex I'd be happy to give you a copy.

Tina 8)

julius

#28 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:32 pm

I think Andy Reid did the WASSUP and Marcelo did the WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Might want to bug them.

Lawrence

#29 Post by Lawrence » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:49 am

julius wrote:I think Andy Reid did the WASSUP and Marcelo did the WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Might want to bug them.
Yes, Andy did the "Whassup" remix with another Ithacan who (I heard) was the one who did the actual mixing; I think it was Poke Alex.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Swifty

#30 Post by Swifty » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:29 pm

Lawrence wrote:Yes, Andy did the "Whassup" remix with another Ithacan who (I heard) was the one who did the actual mixing; I think it was Poke Alex.
Poke Alex is from Rochester, not Ithaca. You are thinking of Alex Fajkowski. He lives in DC now.