Neo Swing in your binder?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Soma-Guy

#16 Post by Soma-Guy » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:48 am

lindyholic wrote: "can you play some swing music?"
Dude that's my favorite comment in the whole world! I've gotten that one a couple times for playing vintage stuff. It's the best comment you could EVER get!

And why don't you play more BBVD Harrison? You've got one of the most bad-ass East Coast basics I've ever seen! I though you were studying historical film clips from 1997 and breaking down some of the vintage moves?
drew wrote: I have it in boxes somewhere, I don't carry it because I don't want to play it. I don't want to hear it, either, and not carrying it absolves my consicence if someone were to ask for it--if they ask (and they rarely do), I don't lie when I say I don't have it.
Well technically you do have them still. I say the only way to truly absolve your concience is to burn them. In fact I say we have a D.J convention and we'll kick the whole thing off by having a good bonfire. Then as, a group, we'll collectively burn all our old Neo-Swing c.d's. It'll be like a good old fashioned book burning. There's not enough of those anymore. Anyone in?

lindyholic

#17 Post by lindyholic » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:59 am

Soma-Guy wrote:
lindyholic wrote: "can you play some swing music?"
Dude that's my favorite comment in the whole world! I've gotten that one a couple times for playing vintage stuff. It's the best comment you could EVER get!

And why don't you play more BBVD Harrison? You've got one of the most bad-ass East Coast basics I've ever seen! I though you were studying historical film clips from 1997 and breaking down some of the vintage moves?
Yeah, I've gotten it a few times. Have also gotten "Don't you play anything post 1945?" When that happens I tend to pull out the Mora's Modern Rhythmists :).

And Joel, simply because I feel that ECS is truly for only the greatest of dancers, and same with the music affiliated with it. So why should I share it with the rest of the peon population?

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Soma-Guy

#18 Post by Soma-Guy » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:39 am

lindyholic wrote: And Joel, simply because I feel that ECS is truly for only the greatest of dancers, and same with the music affiliated with it. So why should I share it with the rest of the peon population?
AH HA! I KNEW IT! I knew there was a secret organization of dancers out there practicing East Coast behind locked doors! A sort of swing dance based organization very much akin to the Stone Cutters. I've heard about you fiends breaking down every retro move from clips like, "Swingers." EVIL AND WRONG! That's what you and your "elite group" are!
lindyholic wrote:Have also gotten "Don't you play anything post 1945?"
Remember this years Seattle Lindy exchange? Hehe! I must have gotten it a couple times at that night alone. Except the comment I was getting was more like, "Can you play anything post 1935." :)

lindyholic

#19 Post by lindyholic » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:13 am

Soma-Guy wrote:
lindyholic wrote: And Joel, simply because I feel that ECS is truly for only the greatest of dancers, and same with the music affiliated with it. So why should I share it with the rest of the peon population?
AH HA! I KNEW IT! I knew there was a secret organization of dancers out there practicing East Coast behind locked doors! A sort of swing dance based organization very much akin to the Stone Cutters. I've heard about you fiends breaking down every retro move from clips like, "Swingers." EVIL AND WRONG! That's what you and your "elite group" are!
lindyholic wrote:Have also gotten "Don't you play anything post 1945?"
Remember this years Seattle Lindy exchange? Hehe! I must have gotten it a couple times at that night alone. Except the comment I was getting was more like, "Can you play anything post 1935." :)
You see right through me Joel. You only talk down to us though because you are not good enough, it's that simple. And when I say us, I mean me, because I'm the only one good enough.

Hehe, yep, I remember that, it was an awesome set :). Hehe, I had some fun that time too, though I remember you weren't there because you were getting your Bal private. But I was playing at the outdoor dance, and I asked the crowd "do you want something slower, or faster?". They all said slower, and I proceeded with Lunceford Special. Ah, the Seattle Exchange, good times.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Soma-Guy

#20 Post by Soma-Guy » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:41 pm

lindyholic wrote: But I was playing at the outdoor dance, and I asked the crowd "do you want something slower, or faster?". They all said slower, and I proceeded with Lunceford Special. Ah, the Seattle Exchange, good times.

Harrison
HA! Yeah I remember you telling me about that. Pretty funny stuff!. . . Oh. . . um . . . shoot, this is a public forum. . . I mean bad unresponsive D.J!

kitkat

#21 Post by kitkat » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:32 pm

Soma-Guy wrote:AH HA! I KNEW IT! I knew there was a secret organization of dancers out there practicing East Coast behind locked doors! A sort of swing dance based organization very much akin to the Stone Cutters. I've heard about you fiends breaking down every retro move from clips like, "Swingers."
You mean Kansas City?

Yakov

#22 Post by Yakov » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:25 pm

um... anyway.

SWING by Scott Yanow ("the essential listening companion, 1500 recordings reviewed and rated"), heretofore referred to -- by me, anyway -- as The Bible, has a "retro swing" section in the back that reviews today's dance bands... gives some pretty high reviews (9 or 10 out of 10) to:

eric ekstrand, bill elliott, ray gelato, steve lucky and the rhumba bums, mora's modern rhythmists, johnny nocturne band, roomful of blues (an older group), lavay smith, and squirrel nut zippers.

many of these guys i haven't even heard of.

yes, and, in case you're wondering, it is indeed a travesty that the Boilermakers were left off.

-yakov.

LazyP

#23 Post by LazyP » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:32 am

Yakov wrote: eric ekstrand, bill elliott, ray gelato, steve lucky and the rhumba bums, mora's modern rhythmists, johnny nocturne band, roomful of blues (an older group), lavay smith, and squirrel nut zippers.

many of these guys i haven't even heard of.

-yakov.
Which haven't you heard of? I thought they were all pretty well known (except maybe roomful of blues)
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

mousethief

#24 Post by mousethief » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:41 am

Heh.

Roomful of Blues rocks.

My Neo collection was stolen about 2 years ago, which was a mixed blessing. I have since gone back to replace the staples - RCR, Indigo, Joe Jackson, Lavay, Johnny Reno, etc - but have somehow managed to avoid getting the really, really bad acts this second time around.

You know, stuff like Dem Brooklyn Bums, The Jive Aces (bleagh), Nick Palumbo and his *cough* Flipped Fedora Orchestra, The Jet Set Six, etc.

But anyone runs across some New Morty Show, you let me know.

As a DJ, I carry maybe 5-6 discs and most of those non-DJs would not know of, so I might as well play Louis Jordan.

Kalman

Bob the Builder

#25 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:57 am

At the beginning of this year I took all my "Retro" Swing out of my binder, but the main reason for that was because I ran out of space, and I had never spun any of it to date.
I want a bit mad a month later and bought another 200 cd binder, so now its back in (this my shock some of the Melbourne dancers).
9 months on I still haven't played any of it, but that is more due to the dancers not wanting it. I'm not a big fan of it, but if the dancers really want it, I'll give it to them.
So maybe when my second binder fills up againn, I'll lose the retro swing CD's. I don't want to go over 2 CD cases. 2 is enough to carry around.

Brian

JesseMiner

Re: Neo Swing in your binder?

#26 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:32 pm

Soma-Guy wrote:What have you done with your neo-swing c.d's?
I've got it all packed away. Back in 1998 I regularly DJed at a club in Minneapolis, spinning all of the popular neo swing releases, but since then the music has definitely gone out of fashion. A few months ago I did break out the collection, putting together a “Salute to 1998” show for Yehoodi Radio. It was a lot of fun to reminisce, but I doubt much of the music will be making it back into rotation anytime soon.

Maybe I'll make a single "Best Of" compilation sometime to have on hand just in case. ;)

Jesse

mousethief

#27 Post by mousethief » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:24 pm

JesseMiner wrote:
Soma-Guy wrote:What have you done with your neo-swing c.d's?
I've got it all packed away. Back in 1998 I regularly DJed at a club in Minneapolis, spinning all of the popular neo swing releases, but since then the music has definitely gone out of fashion. A few months ago I did break out the collection, putting together a “Salute to 1998” show for Yehoodi Radio. It was a lot of fun to reminisce, but I doubt much of the music will be making it back into rotation anytime soon.

Maybe I'll make a single "Best Of" compilation sometime to have on hand just in case. ;)

Jesse
Glam Slam?

Kalman

JesseMiner

#28 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:07 pm

mousethief wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:Back in 1998 I regularly DJed at a club in Minneapolis
Glam Slam?
Yes, but by that time Prince had sold the club and it was called The Quest.

Jesse

CafeSavoy

#29 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:01 pm

gatorgal wrote:
So I guess this means someone will revoke my super-secret DJ privileges now. :lol:

Tina 8)
Hey you, out of the pool!

I didn't care much for most of it the first time around,
but did get some of it just to see what the buzz was all about.
It might be interesting to make a best of compilation, but
it's low on my priority queue. Beyond that if they have any
good songs i'll include them in my book; i tend to judge songs
individually and not by genre.

mousethief

#30 Post by mousethief » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:09 am

JesseMiner wrote:
mousethief wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:Back in 1998 I regularly DJed at a club in Minneapolis
Glam Slam?
Yes, but by that time Prince had sold the club and it was called The Quest.

Jesse
Yeah, I saw that awhile back. I can't believe I was even close.

SCORE.

Kalman