Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#16 Post by gatorgal » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:32 am

Swifty wrote:If you don't want to pick up the 2-disc Ella set for whatever reason, I just discovered that they have the version in question on Apple's iTunes for a just a buck.
Yeah, I saw that too. I think for right now, I'm just gonna get that track and shop around for the set somewhere else.

Thanks!
Tina 8)

Nate Dogg

#17 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:23 pm

The song in question also appears on an Ella compilation that came out back in September. Apparantly, it was originally a single, which explains why it appears on random compilations and not full album reissues.

Nathan

Jukebox Ella
AMG Review
Signed by Norman Granz to Verve, the label he hoped to build around her, Ella Fitzgerald inaugurated her long association with one of the greatest jazz imprints by recording a four-song session in 1956 intended for singles. Though it was simply a dry run for her first "official" work, The Cole Porter Songbook, she kept the singles market in mind during her time at Verve, recording occasionally and always hoping for a pop breakthrough. Though singles-chart success never arrived (her "Songbook" full-lengths were much more popular), Verve's release of the two-disc Jukebox Ella: The Complete Verve Singles, Vol. 1 proves that much excellent material went onto her Verve 45s. To Ella, nearly every song represented an opportunity for interpretation, from Gershwin's standard "But Not for Me" (a songbook title also released on single) to the tossed-off novelty "Hotta Chocolatta"; she never sacrificed a close reading simply because the song wasn't intended for a jazz fan. While these titles do occasionally reveal the influence of the novelty, there is so much care exhibited by Fitzgerald and her accompanists (including Buddy Bregman, Nelson Riddle, Marty Paich, Paul Weston, and Russ Garcia) that the results rival much of her non-songbook work for the label. One of the best is a re-recording of her early hit "A-Tisket, A-Tasket" with Ella going into controlled childish tantrums never equalled in her discography (and, thus, in no other's). Other intriguing novelties include singles (and usually accompanying flips) dealing with live recordings, Christmas songs, foreign-language recordings, and the bossa nova (including "Star Dust" taken in rhythm). Only one acknowledges rock & roll, the mostly unembarrassed "Ringo Beat." Whether it's W.C. Handy's "Beale Street Blues" or Moe Koffman's "Swingin' Shepherd Blues," Ella treated a song with respect. — John Bush

1. Stay There performed by Fitzgerald / Bregman, Buddy & Orchestra - 2:35
2. The Sun Forgot to Shine This Morning performed by Fitzgerald / Bregman, Buddy & Orchestra - 3:17
3. Too Young for the Blues performed by Fitzgerald / Bregman, Buddy & Orchestra - 3:16
4. It's Only a Man performed by Fitzgerald / Bregman, Buddy & Orchestra - 3:27
5. Beale Street Blues (Handy) - 2:27
6. (The End Of) A Beautiful Friendship performed by Fitzgerald / Bregman, Buddy & Orchestra - 2:37
7. The Silent Treatment performed by Fitzgerald / Bregman, Buddy & Orchestra - 2:51
8. Hear My Heart (Lester) - 2:19
9. Hotta Chocolatta (Drake/Mizzy) - 3:08
10. A-Tisket, A-Tasket performed by Fitzgerald / DeVol, Frank & His Orchestra - 2:20
11. Teach Me How to Cry performed by Fitzgerald / Weston, Paul & His Orchestra - 2:58
12. Swingin' Shepherd Blues performed by Fitzgerald / Weston, Paul & His Orchestra - 2:41
13. Your Red Wagon (DePaul/Jones/Raye) - 2:56
14. Travelin' Light (Mercer/Mundy/Young) - 3:12
15. Oh, What a Night for Love performed by Fitzgerald / Paich, Marty Dek-Tette - 2:24
16. Dreams Are Made for Children performed by Fitzgerald / Paich, Marty Dek-Tette - 2:38
17. But Not for Me performed by Fitzgerald / Riddle, Nelson & His Orchestra - 2:05
18. The Christmas Song performed by Fitzgerald / Garcia, Russ And His Orchestra - 3:18
19. The Secret of Christmas performed by Fitzgerald / Garcia, Russ And His Orchestra - 2:47
20. Medley: We Three Kings of Orient Are/O... performed by Fitzgerald / DeVol, Frank & His Orchestra - 3:36
21. Ich Fuhle Mich Crazy (You're Driving Me... (Donaldson/Obermair) - 3:07
22. (You'll Have to Swing It) Mr. Paganini (Coslow/Obermair) - 3:46
23. Call Me Darling performed by Fitzgerald / Riddle, Nelson & His Orchestra - 2:35
24. Bill Bailey, Won't You Come Home? (Cannon) - 3:24
25. Ol' Man Mose (Armstrong/Randolph) - 3:53
26. Desafinado performed by Fitzgerald / Paich, Marty Orchestra - 2:11
27. Stardust Bossa Nova performed by Fitzgerald / Paich, Marty Orchestra - 2:32
28. All the Live Long Day (Gershwin/Gershwin) - 2:41
29. I'm a Poached Egg (Without Toast) (Gershwin/Gershwin) - 2:35
30. Ringo Beat (Fitzgerald) - 1:48
31. I'm Fallin' in Love (Kessel) - 2:36
32. She's Just a Quiet Girl performed by Fitzgerald / Paich, Marty Orchestra - 2:53
33. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow, and Me) performed by Fitzgerald / Paich, Marty Orchestra - 2:38
34. The Shadow of Your Smile (Mandel/Webster) - 3:06
35. A Place for Lovers (DeSica/Gimbel) - 2:41
36. Lonely Is (Ballard/Hackaday) - 3:33