Why does everyone hate Rockabilly?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

c1950sboy

#31 Post by c1950sboy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:56 pm

Ack...I haven't been on this board in a while..mostly b/c of time issues. When I was on my way here I somehow knew I'd find this debate. Don't folks ever get tired of the swing vs. rockabilly thing?
When I dj I pretty much only play rockabilly and obscure 50's stuff. Why? Beacuase everone else dj's ONLY swing and I love that music and I'm trying to take dancing to this music somewhere else.
When I dj at clubd alot of swing dancers show up b/c they also like the music and find it very dancable. You can Lindy, jive, balboa or whatever you like to it. I find that most folks here in NYC WON'T EVEN give it a chance.
Now if it's your personal preference to NOT dance to it or you just plain don't like the music, I respect that.
I saw a refernce in this thread to Bill Haley. If you actually watch Don't Knock the Rock you will see it was all swing-outs and other familiar moves being done to that "rock". Yes Bill get's lumped in w/the rockabilly's all the time b/c it seems what is labeled rockabilly is REALLY music that rockabilly folks most listen to. ALSO someone referenced BR549; they are NOT rockabilly but a country/hillbilly/western swing band. Yet they too get lumped into the genre b/c most rab folks like them.
I find generally that folks who are not trying to make themselves into scenesters or well known scene folks will come out to where I dj wether it's w/a band or just a dj nite. That I like.
Don't get me wrong I love swing too, that's why I' AM around on the scene..I love that music too. But enough people are out there doing it and I applaude them.....I'm just taking my other love and applyiing it.
Personally I hate all that bpm talk. When I pick out songs to play at an event..my first question when I test it is "is it good for a swing-out". That's for a swing event. If it's just a listening event or a crowd that I anticipate will be more receptive to it, I let it rip. And folks have a great time. They don't wonder who's watching their perfect" swing-out while dancing..they're there for music and fun.
Personally I think overall it's just too different for alot of folks to adjust or even move 1/10th faster for the music. Sorry..just my observance after djing for 2 yrs now. That's why I'm so happy when certain places call me to dj..and yes even some swing dance studios. I know I'll find an adventurous, happy crowd looking for fun..not a scene.
Sorry this has just been my 2 cents and I don't intend to get into any further debate about it. You may disagre w/me and that's fine. But after almost 4 yrs on Yehoodi I don't care to get into it a 100th time.
Rockabilly..either you 'get it' or you don't..and that's ok!

yedancer

#32 Post by yedancer » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:57 am

I'll be the first person to admit that I like rockabilly, and that I like dancing to it. However, I don't dance the same way to rockabilly as I would to real swing music. The beat and the feel are different. They makes me want to dance more like the dancers in "Don't Knock the Rock" or whatever. The sad thing is, those dancers look pretty dorky when you compare them to real lindy hoppers from the 30's.

I think it's lame (and funny) that people will use the "it's not swing" or "it's not lindy hop music" argument on rockabilly music but not on modern jazz.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Downeastdancer

#33 Post by Downeastdancer » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:09 pm

IF you like Rockabilly, may I call your attention to one of our local bands, called "King Memphis" which has three cds with lots of danceable music? www.kingmemphis.com
"Take A Train!"

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#34 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:34 pm

woohoo! Asher's on SwingDjs!

c1950sboy

#35 Post by c1950sboy » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:17 am

yedancer wrote:. The beat and the feel are different. They makes me want to dance more like the dancers in "Don't Knock the Rock" or whatever. The sad thing is, those dancers look pretty dorky when you compare them to real lindy hoppers from the 30's.

I think it's lame (and funny) that people will use the "it's not swing" or "it's not lindy hop music" argument on rockabilly music but not on modern jazz.
DUUE you missed my point..OR maybe you didn't...ok here I go despite the fact that I shouldn't. In that movie they ARE doing swing dancing. It's just to DIFFERENT music. And I think they look as crazy cool as they folks did in the old days. Esp since they're pretty much dancing fast as opposed to a more savoy style. Personally, as you might have guessed I think it all fits in and is great. Arggghhh how do I put this....
They aren't dancing to swing music yet they're using swing dancing moves. Just as alot of folks do for rockabilly music. Yes alot of folks that don't have exposure to Lindy dance jive or just 6 count ECS.
I think , as I said, it all boils down to your preference of music to dance to...NOT is rockabilly dancable.

OH and ALEX.......hey man! Love ya baby!

As the song says..rockabilly rules...and everyone KNOWS it! (heee)

JesseMiner

Re: Why does everyone hate Rockabilly?

#36 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:25 am

yedancer wrote:I'm just curious. It seems like a lot of the DJs on this board do not like Rockabilly music.
I don't care much for Rockabilly when it comes to swing dancing. Most dancers I know feel the same way. Thus Rockabilly doesn't get played very much and has developed the stigma that it isn't appropriate at Lindy Hop events, putting it in a similar category to neo-swing.

This has nothing to do with the musical quality of Rockabilly of course. I do enjoy listening to it on occasion and have a soft spot for Minneapolis' Vibrochamps, a band that I was friends with and used to go see quite often when I lived there.

Jesse

yedancer

#37 Post by yedancer » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:36 am

c1950sboy wrote: DUUE you missed my point..OR maybe you didn't...
I didn't.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

yedancer

#38 Post by yedancer » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:41 am

Well, since we're all putting links to our local Rockabilly bands, here's Hot Rod Lincoln.
-Jeremy

Soupbone

#39 Post by Soupbone » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:43 pm

I will very occasionally spin a rockabilly track. It depends on the mood of the room. But, if I do, it's almost always following an artist like Billy Jack Wills..... But, even that's quite rare.

I love the old rockabilly stuff (haven't found too many modern rockabilly groups who get the spirit or production of the older stuff for my tastes). But, I'm not sure I dig hearing it at a DJ'd dance.

Oddly, I do enjoy going out dancing to live rockabilly on occasion.... hmmmm..
Gary

Roy

#40 Post by Roy » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:50 pm

For modern Rockabilly I really like the Blue Moon Boys. Highly entertaining band.

c1950sboy

#41 Post by c1950sboy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:14 pm

THe Blue Moon Boys are awesome. I never miss them when they're here. You go Nick Roulette!
Soupbone wrote:I love the old rockabilly stuff (haven't found too many modern rockabilly groups who get the spirit or production of the older stuff for my tastes). But, I'm not sure I dig hearing it at a DJ'd dance.
I think one of the reasons for that is that, like I said in previous posts, alot of music that isn't real rockabilly gets lumped into that category b/c rab folks support it. Alot of hillbilly stuff actually has a great beat and IMHO is widely overlooked yet highly dancable. When I spin it I find the floor is always hoping. And I think we're not debating is the music good but dancable. So I can attesy from the gigs I do that it is!