Best "Exactly Like You"

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

c1950sboy

#31 Post by c1950sboy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:02 pm

SpuzBal wrote:If you have yet to bail on eMusic, go download the version by Hot Club USA. It's really mellow. Django's version is great too.
I believe you mean The Hot Club of Cowtown. They're an awesome western swing/jazzy band from Texas. Love them!

Nate Dogg

#32 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:20 pm

No, he meant Hot Club USA. Some folks around here know their Django (however I am not one of them).

I wish eMusic had some Hot Club of Cowtown (they do have Asylum Street Spankers, a vintage Austin band that some on this Board might appreciate).

Bio from eMusic:
Hot Club USA, Koch Records
"American guitarist Frank Vignola leads the modernized version of the classic Django Reinhardt-Stephane Grappelli combo, joined by 58-year-old Uruguayan violinist Federico Britos, second guitarist Eric Bogart and bassist Phil Flanagan. They perform several of the original Hot Club's classics, popular standards, and some unique covers. An exciting and engaging project."

Strange but true, Hot Club of Cowtown are more appreciated by dancers in other cities than they are here in Austin.

Nathan

c1950sboy

#33 Post by c1950sboy » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:36 am

Ahh you just jogged my memory. I believe HCoUSA just played here not too long ago. Ah everyone should experience the magic of HCoCT's "Lazy Day"!

KevinSchaper

#34 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:17 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: Strange but true, Hot Club of Cowtown are more appreciated by dancers in other cities than they are here in Austin.
I was really bumbed they weren't playing at the Contintinental the thursday of the exchange weekend.. I've seen 'em in eugene 3 or 4 times now - I wouldn't necessarily book them for a swing dance, but I dance a lot when I go see 'em.

The craziest for me was realizing (when I finally saw 'em in seattle) that Bonebreak's Syncopaters was actually Dave Stuckey's western swing group playing Goodman small group stuff (with the vibes guy)..

Mr Awesomer

#35 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:48 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:(with the vibes guy)
Thas DJ Bonebreak of X.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nate Dogg

#36 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:47 am

Strange but true, you thought all the Hot Club of Cowtown chatter was getting off topic, think again...

Just released last week, another version to add to this list, kind of slow and twangy, but thought I would share it anyway.

More info can be found at http://www.hotclubofcowtown.com/#
click the discography link. They have some MP3 sample, but no sample of Exactly Like You.

Produced by Lloyd Maines (Note to the curious: that is Natalie Maines' of the Dixie Chicks dad)

1. Diga Diga Doo
2. 'Deed I Do
3. Chinatown
4. I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby
5. Ida Red
6. Pennies From Heaven
7. Crazy 'Cause I Love You
8. The Girl I Left Behind Me
9. After You've Gone
10. Exactly Like You
11. My Window Faces the South
12. Orange Blossom Special
13. I Can't Believe You're
In Love With Me entire track!!
14. Hidden track

Matthew

#37 Post by Matthew » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:43 am

Perhaps I missed a blazingly-obvious post, but how went the battle? How were the different versions of "Exactly Like You" taken by the dancers?

djstarr

#38 Post by djstarr » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:40 pm

We kept most of the battle talk over on the Seattle Delphi forum so I didn't repeat it here. A quick recap - the six battle songs were:
Exactly Like You - Brenda: Benny Goodman quartet; Harrison: Basie (Early Decca)
One O'Clock Jump - Brenda: Benny Goodman orch on Anthology of Big Band Swing; Harrison: Sidney Bechet
King Porter Stomp - Brenda: Henry Red Allen (Siesta at the Fiesta); Harrison: Fletcher Henderson
Moten Swing - Brenda: Oscar Peterson; Harrison: Count Basie
St. Louis Blues - Brenda: Billie Holiday w/Benny Carter; Harrison: Sidney Bechet
C Jam Blues/Duke's Place - Brenda: Louis and Duke (Great Summit); Harrison: Duke Ellington (Blues in Orbit)

A lot of people came out considering we had a huge dance weekend that kicked everybody's butt, this was held on the following Monday.

I made an overly complicated ballot letting people vote by song and by DJ; out of the 75 or so folks there only 4 voted! (and it was a tie).

The people I talked with liked both versions of Exactly Like You, it was hard to pick a favorite. I think O.P's Moten Swing won; Blues in Orbit C Jam Blues won; people liked both versions of St. Louis Blues (although Billie's version just kills me - it's so bittersweet).

I enjoyed this approach since it made me do more research and I found a lot of good music because of it.

You can find more details on Seattle Delphi if you are interested.

djstarr

#39 Post by djstarr » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:21 pm

Just got Diana Krall's latest "From this Moment On". It has a nice version of Exactly Like You. Nice and smoothy smoothy; I played it Monday and people enjoyed dancing to it.

Eyeball

#40 Post by Eyeball » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Far and away....on that great song by Fields and McHugh....I go for the circa 1936 recording by Kay Thompson and Her Orchestra and Chorus.

I don't know if it is 'Lindy-able'....and it has a tempo change from middle to up....but it sure is good. Totally 1936.

She was a mega talent - she sang, she arranged, she recorded and she later went over to MGM studios and worked on many of their musicals.......and then she created that little girl character in books -Heloise.

She was very hip.

I hope it is on line. Total blast.

Flip side - IT HAD TO BE YOU.
Will big bands ever come back?

Greg Avakian

#41 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 am

What I love about this song is that it is such a crowd pleaser that it is worth owning a variety of versions. Every now and then when I'm feeling cocky I'll play the Satch & Josh version and the follow up with Carmen McRae. The two go really well together and people usually laugh when they here the 2nd one starting up and clap at the end. Has to be the right time and place to pull that kind of stuff though.

Downside is ...real conversation:
"That was an amazing song, what was it?"
"Exactly like you"
"Wow, who did it?"
Which version, the first one or the second one?"
Blank look...
(snicker...)

Gotta love dancers!
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa