Best "Exactly Like You"

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#16 Post by mousethief » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:00 pm

You know, every time Rayned pulls something like this out of the ether, it just kills me.

Kalman

main_stem

#17 Post by main_stem » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:11 pm

There are 36 versions of this song in the iTunes music store. Even a Willie Nelson one.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#18 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:49 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:....you'll find there are tons of good versions.....
Thanks Rayned! Kevin did a great job of giving us a list of songs that you could take in many different directions.

By listening to the versions mentioned in this thread, I've heard a bunch of different styles. If you want to get your funk on - check out this version by Carmen McRae.

lindyholic

#19 Post by lindyholic » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:58 pm

Yeah, he sure did, I took it into the "I'm gonna kick your ass" direction ;). I just can't stop the smack man, gotta hype this bad boy up!

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

lindyholic

#20 Post by lindyholic » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:22 pm

I guess I'll actually contribute something here...

Like I said earlier, the count basie version is pretty rad, but the most common version I've heard has been the Carmen McCrae version, but it's not my thing, though I do know that a LOT of people like it.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Matthew

#21 Post by Matthew » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:01 am

djstarr wrote:...check out this version by Carmen McRae.
Or, you could poke yourself with sharp sticks.

I think we're getting away from our purpose as DJs; I think that you should make your final selection during the battle. Listen to how people are doing, and then choose something. I think it would be helpful (because you know that you will play at least one version) to have many versions at hand during the battle. Heck, you could even play the Basie version before Harrison does, thereby forcing him to play the Willie Nelson version, or, worse, the version above!

The "best" "Exactly Like You" may emerge in the moment.

djstarr

#22 Post by djstarr » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:27 pm

Matthew wrote:I think we're getting away from our purpose as DJs; I think that you should make your final selection during the battle. Listen to how people are doing, and then choose something. I think it would be helpful (because you know that you will play at least one version) to have many versions at hand during the battle. Heck, you could even play the Basie version before Harrison does, thereby forcing him to play the Willie Nelson version, or, worse, the version above!

The "best" "Exactly Like You" may emerge in the moment.
I totally agree - this is what I thought the battle was going to be like, but we asked Kevin T to moderate, and he came up with the rule that we had to pick ahead of time --- I'm not sure exactly why, but it does simplify the battle a little bit and since this is the first time we are trying this it's probably a good thing.

We were talking about having to battle on 10 specific songs but I wanted more flexibility in the set - the battle incorporates the overall sets plus how well we blend in the 6 specific songs.

falty411

#23 Post by falty411 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:34 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:For an esoteric but good version, try Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson & His West Indian Dance Band on "_Black Bristish Swing_. Good cd overall too.
I agree, its a pretty solid version and also an excellent CD.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

shortyjul

#24 Post by shortyjul » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:57 pm

I have a great Lester Young comp where he played it with Glenn Hardman and His Hammond Five - 1937-1939 - There are 2 tracks of it on the cd and I forget which one I play - I think that's the same one Rayned mentioned

I also like the PeeWee Russell version I have from "Swingin' with Pee Wee." A bit dixieland, but it totally hangs. He is one of my favorites.

We have a local band who has butchered this song - they basically stole Carmen McRae's lovely old battleaxe and just killed it - it's sharp, on top of the beat, and god knows what else - it killed Carmen for me. So sad.

djstarr

#25 Post by djstarr » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:38 pm

I played the Benny Goodman quartet one last night - everybody enjoyed it and suprisingly it's a version that hasn't gotten airtime in Seattle. It was also fun to say "oh yeah, that's Lionel Hampton singing".

Although I did listen to Harrison's pick yesterday (the early Count Basie one) -- I was like "oh this is ok" until Jimmy Rushing came in.........then I'm like "damn, I like this version just as much as the Benny Goodman one".

CafeSavoy

#26 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:20 am

shortyjul wrote: We have a local band who has butchered this song - they basically stole Carmen McRae's lovely old battleaxe and just killed it - it's sharp, on top of the beat, and god knows what else - it killed Carmen for me. So sad.
Have you heard the version from Ella Fitzgerald/Stan Getz Quintet/Bill Harris, Ella Fitzgerald & Friends at Birdland: Summer 1952?

Lawrence

#27 Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:27 am

Even though it has been overplayed and slandered, I still prefer like the "original" version that Carmen McRae recorded for the Moochers a few years ago.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#28 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:36 am

Lawrence wrote:Even though it has been overplayed and slandered, I still prefer like the "original" version that Carmen McRae recorded for the Moochers a few years ago.
Is this another one of your attempts at being funny?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Shorty Dave

#29 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:35 am

Great thread!

I'm gonna throw another vote out for the Satch and Josh version.

Also, 'cuz I don't think it's been mentioned yet, a shout out to Nina Simone's beautiful, slow version from "Live at Town Hall"

djstarr

#30 Post by djstarr » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:00 pm

A friend of mine stopped by this weekend with a CD full of different copies of Exactly Like You (as well as the other battle songs). He's from Chicago, but had been following the battle thread on Seattle Delphi - I thought that was *very* nice of him.

Included was the Carmen McRae version, the Nina Simone Town Hall, the Satch and Josh (which I like, but I already have O.P. slated for another song), and Tony Bennett and k.d. lang's duet.

I think I am going to get the Earl Hines/Jimmy Rushing album; it would be fun to play the early Basie and the modern one back to back - they sound like two different songs.