Swing Session now Stompy Jones

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Swing Session now Stompy Jones

#1 Post by Ron » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:08 pm

I'm looking forward to their third album. The previous two were packed full of well-done jump blues.

Does anyone know why they changed their name from Swing Session to Stompy Jones? Is it no longer OK at all to have "swing" in your band name?

djstarr

Re: Swing Session now Stompy Jones

#2 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:10 pm

Ron wrote:I'm looking forward to their third album. The previous two were packed full of well-done jump blues.

Does anyone know why they changed their name from Swing Session to Stompy Jones? Is it no longer OK at all to have "swing" in your band name?
From their new web site:
"In this latest self-titled gem CD from Jewel Records, Stompy Jones continues to revisit the sounds and rhythms of the 1930’s through the early 1950’s, from Fletcher Henderson, Earl Hines, John Kirby, through Louis Jordan, Roy Milton, and Louis Prima, as well as six inspired cuts of their own. 17 tracks total!"

and from the swing session web site:
"The upcoming record will be dripping with originals and covers of vintage jazz, blues and boogie. The veteran Stompy Jones players really take this recording to a new level and show off their wide range of old-time musical talents. A few tunes on the album will be John Kirby and Charlie Shavers "Close Shave" from 1941, Steve Gibson & the Five Red Caps "Boogie Woogie on a Saturday Night" from 1951 and Little Davids "That's Earl, Brother" from 2003."

I heard they wanted to get more work at jazz festivals and thought a name change would help - the reasoning we can only speculate at.

They are coming up to Seattle on Nov 16th and I'm excited to hear the new sound; you can order the CD on their new web site starting tomorrow - I'm going to get a copy so I can help promo their appearance up here.

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:58 pm

The story i've heard is that they want to play more jazz than just the jump that is associated with them. By changing their name there isn't the same expectation of only the same palatte of music. Apparently they can play some kickass Basie and Ellington charts and more. I'm looking forward to hear the new incarnation.

Bob the Builder

#4 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:59 pm

That sounds great.
They could have just changed their name then to: The Swingin' Session.

Looking forward also to hearing them. I was getting a little bit to much Jump blues for my ears.

Bob

SpuzBal

#5 Post by SpuzBal » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:52 pm

I'll have to check them out again when I'm back home in SF for winter break.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Roy

#6 Post by Roy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:37 am

Speaking of Stompy Jones which versions of that song are best for dancers.

Ron

#7 Post by Ron » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:58 pm

So what does everyone else think of the Stompy Jones CD?

I gave it ****, LLL

http://www.swingorama.com/music/ronsrevshome.html