Best "Night Train"

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

Best "Night Train"

#1 Post by Yakov » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:22 pm

Night Train: great song.

My favorite version is a Lionel Hampton Orchestra version that I downloaded; I don't know what album it's off. (This is rare for me.)

Other versions:
Oscar Peterson, Night Train
(continue the list)

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:21 pm

Great song!

Probably my favorite swinging version to play for dancers would off of Ray Brown All Stars' Don't Forget the Blues.

For late-night slow blues dancing, I'd definitely pick Al Grey & Jimmy Forrest's version off of Night Train Revisited.

And for a funkier feel, you can't go wrong with James Brown's version from any of his greatest hits compilations.

Now does "Happy Go Lucky Local" count, since the "Night Train" riff came out of it? If so, then hands-down, I can't get enough of LCJO's version from Live in Swing City!

Jesse

thecheeta

#3 Post by thecheeta » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:32 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Great song!
Now does "Happy Go Lucky Local" count, since the "Night Train" riff came out of it? If so, then hands-down, I can't get enough of LCJO's version from Live in Swing City!Jesse
Ooooh.... I have to agree with this. I LOVE this song. I have only played it twice while DJing, and only when I already had a dance partner lined up ;)

I danced to it once when I visited Chicago during July 4th weekend. Mmmm... great dance.

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:44 am

JesseMiner wrote: Now does "Happy Go Lucky Local" count, since the "Night Train" riff came out of it? If so, then hands-down, I can't get enough of LCJO's version from Live in Swing City!

Jesse
Ditto.

It's one of those versions that I can never hear enough of or dance too many times to.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

thecheeta

#5 Post by thecheeta » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:54 am

I agree... in fact....

*reaches over to laptop, cues HGLL to be the next song on the playlist*

I found out that I can actually stream content from my Nomad Jukebox... I am able to control is across my wireless LAN at home... now if I only had a static IP (and probably a T1), I could share with you guys. :)

Roy

#6 Post by Roy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:31 am

I agree the LCJO is a great version. Even though at times it gets overplayed I have never stopped enjoying dancing to this version.

I played an unusual version last saturday by Arthur Blythe on the exhale CD. It went over real well I wasn't sure how a crowd would react to this version. It's unusual because the combo is : alto, piano, drums, and a Tuba. The Tuba makes it sound very different.

Jake

#7 Post by Jake » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:03 am

I dig the version on the Jimmy & Wes: The Dynamic Duo - it's a bit long though, at 6:48.

Drew

Re: Best "Night Train"

#8 Post by Drew » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:03 am

Yakov wrote:Night Train: great song.

My favorite version is a Lionel Hampton Orchestra version that I downloaded; I don't know what album it's off. (This is rare for me.)
I really like this version as well. I got it on a compilation CD from a friend of mine a while back. I did find this on a Hampton Orchestra album with a red cover, I forget the name...could have been a best-of or something.

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:07 am

Is it the version on Lionel Hampton Revisited? It is a cool version. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Jesse

CafeSavoy

#10 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:27 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Is it the version on Lionel Hampton Revisited? It is a cool version. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Jesse
i think that might be his only version of the song. There are three albums listed on allmusic and two are compilations. I think the original recording was "Hamp's Big Band" which is included on "Revisited".

djstarr

#11 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:04 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Now does "Happy Go Lucky Local" count, since the "Night Train" riff came out of it? If so, then hands-down, I can't get enough of LCJO's version
and at 6:45 it makes a great pee break song (if you can stand not dancing to it ;-)

JesseMiner

#12 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:11 pm

djstarr wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:Now does "Happy Go Lucky Local" count, since the "Night Train" riff came out of it? If so, then hands-down, I can't get enough of LCJO's version
and at 6:45 it makes a great pee break song (if you can stand not dancing to it ;-)
Also great for a pee break if you're the DJ spinning it (sounds like a new topic in the making)!

I rarely play songs of that length, but "Happy Go Lucky Local" is one of the few that I do play on occasion. Back in 2000, it was quite popular, being played almost every night I was out dancing both locally and when traveling.

Jesse

djstarr

#13 Post by djstarr » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:23 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Also great for a pee break if you're the DJ spinning it (sounds like a new topic in the making)!
Ha - yes, that's what I meant. It's actually long enough so you can cue the next song, go pee, wash your hands, grab someone to dance with during the "Night Train" section then jump back into the booth ;-)

Drew

#14 Post by Drew » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:17 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Is it the version on Lionel Hampton Revisited? It is a cool version. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Jesse
Yes, this is the red cover I was thinking of.

Mike

#15 Post by Mike » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:29 pm

You guys gotta check out The Clark Terry Five's version. Slow, and totally rad. I play it often, not sure if it's the best but it's my current favorite.