Anthology of Big Band Swing

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lindyholic

Anthology of Big Band Swing

#1 Post by lindyholic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:48 pm

So...I went back to the record store again today and again was very much tempted by the Anthology of Big Band Swing put out by Decca. Is it really worth it, like, is there some stuff on there that is REALLY hard to find or something? I'm interested in buying it, but I figure I'll probably just get the albums with those songs instead, unless there's some rare stuff on there.

Suggestions?

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:04 pm

I have it, and it contains some good material even though I'm not a big fan of the original era stuff. It does contain some good music that is more up your alley than mine, so you would probably enjoy it. It is also better than the prototypical "Swing" compilation, not just a regurgitation of the same old Swing Era songs.

I have an inclination to avoid compilations for the reasons you mentioned, but this one seemed worthwhile. Moreover, it can give you guidance on what you want to explore from there.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

SpuzBal

#3 Post by SpuzBal » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:04 pm

I was about to post that there was virtually no overlap between that set and the rest of my collection, but when I actually counted, it turns out that about half of the songs on there are actually redundant for me.

The sound quality is excellent, though. I always play the song off of the Anthology set instead of the version off of another CD whenever I play a song that's on the Anthology set.

...did that make any sense? Probably not.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

Lindy Bomb

#4 Post by Lindy Bomb » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:50 pm

Excellent CD compilation. Every track is good for dancing, and the style is what you seem to like. Sound quality is good too, as Ryan said. I usually avoid buying comps, but this one is excellent. Most of the songs are somewhat common, but not so much so that they can be found on every "swing compilation" CD. I'd say, if it's cheap go ahead and get it- but if they're charging $30 (or $45ish in your freaky deaky Canucky money) I'd say pass. I bought it used for $10 and it was totally worth it.

djstarr

#5 Post by djstarr » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:32 am

face it Harrison, you are just not cool unless you have this compilation.

I like it a lot; as mentioned before if you can get a good price you should get it.

lindyholic

#6 Post by lindyholic » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:34 am

Yeah, it's 25 freaky Canuck Color Money dollars at A&B Sound...

You guys have tempted me too much, I think I'm gonna have to buy it.

Damn you all, I might as well buy another binder while I'm at it haha.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

kitkat

#7 Post by kitkat » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:06 am

Buy it! I just did, pretty much for one song (well, okay, after having sampled some other tracks), and it's friggin awesome.

It's good to hear, Ryan, that you choose its versions for DJing--though a lot of the tracks are new to me, it's always nice to know that repeat tracks won't go to waste on a new purchase.

falty411

#8 Post by falty411 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:12 am

it was one of the first swing cds i ever bought and i still play from it
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

yedancer

#9 Post by yedancer » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:10 am

falty411 wrote:it was one of the first swing cds i ever bought and i still play from it
Same here, except it was given to me.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Toon Town Dave

#10 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:13 pm

Run ... fast ... get it now before someone else does!

It's a great CD, I really like it. It's probably one of the best bang for the buck CD's I have. There's a great version of One O'Clock Jump by Goodman (I think Katie was asking about it in about it in another thread), I love Jamaica Jam and Rock and Rye. It has Midriff, one of the relatively small number of Ellington tunes I like. Good versions of Avalon and Chicago ... its all good!

Its the only CD you could drop in and let the whole thing play and still spin a great set.

I ordered it from A&B last winter, I had to wait 3 weeks to get it so grab it if it's in stock.

Lindy Bomb

#11 Post by Lindy Bomb » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:25 pm

Yeah, I use it as a practice cd sometimes. Just pop it in and go, everything's great. Skyliner's one of my faves and Dunkin' a Donut! So good! I also really like the Goodman version of One o'clock Jump, it really kicks.

Platypus

#12 Post by Platypus » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:29 pm

You should be able to find it on sale somewhere. I saw a copy of it here in Houston this week for half price.

Matthew

#13 Post by Matthew » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:06 pm

There's a used copy on Amazon for about $14.00 Monopoly money (hehehe).

djstarr

#14 Post by djstarr » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:01 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:Its the only CD you could drop in and let the whole thing play and still spin a great set.
funny - I played One O'Clock Jump as the last song for the One O'Clock Jump dance here (ha!) and I didn't hit the stop button in time at the end and Casa Loma Stomp started -- everybody cheered --- and I just cracked up and thought "damn, I'm a great DJ".

Ryan

#15 Post by Ryan » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:39 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote: ...one of the relatively small number of Ellington tunes I like.

*Shakes Head*