Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#46 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:23 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Sounds like a pretty swinging set to me. Nathan, I thoroughly enjoyed your show and have gotten other compliments about it as well. * * * * Keep up the great work!
I agree completely. Although I hesitate to say it because I don't want it to go to his head :wink: , and although he and I definitely have our differences on some songs, Nathan has honestly developed into one of the best Lindy DJs around, not just in Austin, and this set only shows it. His sets have been just as fun to dance to in person as you might expect from this set, Jesse. Keep it up, Nathan.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

shortyjul

#47 Post by shortyjul » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:42 pm

So what happens on Freaky Fridays?

Roy

#48 Post by Roy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:56 pm

shortyjul wrote:So what happens on Freaky Fridays?
People swap bodies?

JesseMiner

#49 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:35 pm

shortyjul wrote:So what happens on Freaky Fridays?
You'll hear strange covers of swing songs, unlikely bands doing swing songs, just plain silly songs, some popular WCS tunes and a whole lot more bizarre stuff. A few examples would be Arosmith doing "Big Ten Inch Record", Bjork performing with her father's jazz combo, Blossom Dearie's "Doop-Doo-De-Doop", Earth, Wind and Fire's "September" and tunes by The Spice Girls, Sublime, Guru, Jurassic 5 and more. There are even some entertaining Frankie Manning interview bits thrown into the mix.

This is a format that has been around since the inception of Yehoodi Radio but that went away when I started to do "Producer's Picks" on Friday. We like to bring it back time to time as people have enjoyed it in the past.

Jesse

Shorty Dave

#50 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:55 pm

Jellyroll! Love that song, too, Nathan, and thanks to you it gets a lot of play here in NYC (the name of the song along has a special place in my heart ;) )

Definitely worthy of a higher up rank that Lindy Essential 38. LOL!

(Great songlist, btw!)

CafeSavoy

#51 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:10 pm

falty411 wrote:About 1/3rd of the songs on here don't swing (using the loosest definition) at all.
which songs? Just curious.

Zot

Set List: Guest DJ Spot

#52 Post by Zot » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I've posted my setlist for the Yehoodi Radio Show here for your interest:

http://www.swingshiftmelbourne.com/matt ... tlist.html

Feedback welcomed.

Bob the Builder

#53 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:28 pm

Wahoo some Melbourne bands in there.

Brian :D

JesseMiner

#54 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:22 am

Matt beat me to announcing his show....

February Thursday Guest DJ: Matthew Riddle (Australia)

Live and direct from Australia (okay, maybe not live, but direct) we proudly present Matthew Riddle spinning the tunes on Yehoodi radio's Guest DJ Thursdays for the month of February.

"Matt Riddle is a Lindy teacher and DJ from Melbourne, Australia. Probably better known as the organizer of the Melbourne Lindy Exchange, Matt has been DJing weekly in his home town for over 4 years, and has spun his stuff on his trusty iPod at a bunch of lindy events world wide."

We're thrilled to have some representation from "down under". Tune in to his show every Thursday on Yehoodi Radio

Enjoy!

Jesse

Nate Dogg

Re: Set List: Guest DJ Spot

#55 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:06 pm

Zot wrote:Hi all,

I've posted my setlist for the Yehoodi Radio Show here for your interest:

http://www.swingshiftmelbourne.com/matt ... tlist.html

Feedback welcomed.
Finally listened to the show, I think it is excellent. A lot of variety. :D
Nathan

Zot

#56 Post by Zot » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:07 pm

Thanks a lot Nate! Reading your comment reminded me that it's tough to know what to put into a set like that. What was your experience like?

I was in two minds about variety, but I decided to try for a range that would maintain a bit of interest. I particularly wanted to put a few Australian tracks in there that I thought a majority of the listeners wouldn't have heard. But I also wanted to put together a set that was somehow indicative of the range of stuff I normally play. It all makes for a set that's very different from a typical dance set, but hopefully something that will interest someone sitting at their desk...

kitkat

#57 Post by kitkat » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:15 pm

I actually would've loved to dance to it. It had variety but flowed--i.e. no sudden genre changes that just didn't work. I think that's what I admired the most.

gatorgal

#58 Post by gatorgal » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:57 pm

Zot - listening to your set right now in South Florida. Lovin' the tunes. Keep up the good work down under!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Zot

#59 Post by Zot » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:05 pm

Many thanks for all the feedback, all. I got email from people I've never heard of about the set. I'm very grateful for such a positive response. Thanks.

julius

#60 Post by julius » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:31 pm

Is there any way to listen to the radio show on any other day? Generally Thursday I'm at work, then I go dancing, then I come home and sleep, etc. and so I've basically NEVER listened to the DJs who spin.