Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Travis

#541 Post by Travis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:55 am

Nice looking set, Sam. I like "Red Hot Band". That Bob Hunt album has some good stuff. Well done.
Jazz will endure as long as people hear it with their feet instead of their brains. --John Philip Sousa

anton

#542 Post by anton » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:47 am

dogpossum wrote: 33. Some Of These Days - Julia Lee, Clint Weaver, Sam 'Baby' Lovett - Kansas City Star (disc 1) - 210 - 1946 - 2:02
Finally I get to hear this one! :D

dogpossum

#543 Post by dogpossum » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:03 am

Hey, thanks you blokes!

anton: It's so brilliant. I think they recorded it in her house or something (the liner notes to that Bear Family box set are downstairs - I'll look later). There are 8 songs by that combination of people: Wee Baby Blues, If It's Good, I've Got A Crush On The Fuller Brush Man, Two Loves Have I, Some Of These Days, St. Louis Blues, Shake That Thing, Shake It And Break It. I reckon Some of These Days is the best, but their version of Shake it and Break It is also neat, which is kind of odd, because I always mentally pair her 'Some of These Days' with the Joe Turner version of 'Shake it and Break it'.

...I love 'Some of These Days'. There's a sweet 1932 version by Bing Crosby with Trumbauer's band that's also cool.

Haydn

#544 Post by Haydn » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Super stuff Sam - just listening - AND roofing adverts 8)

Killa Dilla

#545 Post by Killa Dilla » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:24 pm

This playlist is serious business - consider me schooled.

:shock:

Gong-Oh

#546 Post by Gong-Oh » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Very nice set, Sam. :) I managed to listen only some of it, but I've discovered at least a couple of new good tunes.

Also, some belated kudos to Anton.

Lorenzo

JesseMiner

#547 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 am

September Thursday Guest DJs: Happy Feet Piet And The Tympani Thomas (Antwerp, Belgium)

Happy Feet Piet And The Tympani Thomas are our Septembers guest DJs on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about the 2 DJs:

"Happy Feet Piet and The Tympani Thomas are 2 DJs from Antwerp (Belgium). They are both members of the Silver River Swing Orchestra, a cover band with a repertoire filled with Swing and Rhythm and Blues. Their search for new material to cover combined with their love for vinyl records resulted in a nice collection which needed to be shared, and "Happy Feet Piet And The Tympani Thomas" was born. (4 hour set)"

Enjoy! :)

Jesse

dogpossum

#548 Post by dogpossum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:34 am

I STILL haven't caught this show. It's still on this month, yes?

JesseMiner

#549 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 am

Yes, their show will continue to run through the end of October. Catch it while you can!

Jesse

JesseMiner

#550 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 am

November Thursday Guest DJ: Jarryd Reynolds (Adelaide, Australia)

Jarryd Reynolds is our November guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Jarryd:

"Jarryd likes creative and dynamic rhythms in the music that keep dancers excited and ready for the next phrase. He specializes in playing swinging gospel tracks. Locally Jarryd DJs every odd week at Adelaide's weekly social dancing venue, The Swing Sesh Stomp, and even though he is a new DJ on the scene, his sets have received interstate acclaim at last year’s Melbourne Lindy Exchange and this year’s Melbourne Swing Festival. (5+ hour set)"

Jesse

JesseMiner

#551 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 pm

January Thursday Guest DJ: Bill Speidel (Norfolk, Virginia)

Bill Speidel is our January guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Bill and his set:

"Over the last 5 years DJ Bill Speidel has DJ’ed from Tampa to Seattle, from Vegas to Quebec City, and for two dozen other dance scenes in between. Lately he’s been staying closer to home in Norfolk, Virginia and focusing on his scene's monthly Southside Stomp dance and this month’s Be My Jazz Baby workshop weekend. Bill’s set this month includes music popular with the lindy and balboa dancers in Virginia and the Carolinas, as well as songs recorded by regional artists and an overview of Piedmont Blues, which was once popular in that part of the country. While not technically swing or something you'd hear at a Lindy Hop event, Piedmont blues is an amalgam of regional country blues, blue grass, ragtime and early jazz that inspired a solo dance incorporating buck (tap) dancing, and jazz steps like the Balling the Jack, the Shim-me-Sha-Wabble and the mess around."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#552 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 am

February Guest DJ: Terry Gardner (Twin Cities, MN)

Terry Gardner is our February guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Terry and his show:

"DJ Terry Gardner has been the house DJ for Minnesota's most popular swing night, Late Night Swing, since February 2000. Terry's show this month will give you a feel for an evening at Late Night Swing. In addition, Terry has stacked the playlist with lots of fantastic Minnesota music to showcase the abundance of fine musicians the Twin Cities is blessed with. Sit back, take a listen, get your toe tappin' and enjoy an evening at Late Night Swing!"

Jesse