Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

#136 Post by falty411 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:00 pm

When I said it was indictive of their scene from what I have heard about it. What I heard is that the only dance slow, to blues, and most people I have talked to would hardly call it lindy hop. If that set is what normally gets played (which Ian said it doesnt, thanks for clarifying) then I would understand why people say that stuff about the scene.

I don't feel bad about not liking his set, and I don't feel bad for not sugar coating my immeadiate reaction. To many people on this board talk about the polite and proper way to say something, but the funny thing is that they talk just as much shit, they are just too afraid to post it on public boards. They are most likely too afraid they wont get that next gig, cause heavin forbid any of them actually pay to travel to an event and put money back into the dance. thats a whole other issue i suppose.

Manu, if that music had been their whole set, I would of said it was a crappy set for the Yehoodi Radio Show. Isnt that place supposed to be for the "Hardcore Hepcat Swinger"? This set didn't seem very harcore hepcat swingerish to me.

This just makes me feel even better about my goal to fill our ballrooms with live music again and to put swing DJs out of a job :)
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#137 Post by falty411 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:31 am

on a brighter note, i recieved this email:

Kevin Van Meter <kevinvanmeter@yahoo.com>

To: 
mike@falty.com

Date: 
04 Mar 2004, 05:13:47 PM

This coming from a Reuben Brown swing natzi who has ruined the Yehoodi Boards and help destroy the swing movement

Kevin Van Meter
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Soma-Guy

#138 Post by Soma-Guy » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:08 am

HA! HA! Mike's a Nazi cause he speaks his mind! Dude I should show you some of the angry PM's and emails I've gotten before! Let's compare! It'll be fun!

Nate Dogg

#139 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:40 am

falty411 wrote: I don't feel bad about not liking his set, and I don't feel bad for not sugar coating my immeadiate reaction. To many people on this board talk about the polite and proper way to say something, but the funny thing is that they talk just as much shit, they are just too afraid to post it on public boards.
Conversely, plenty of DJs don't post certain content on this Board because they are not interested in getting into a sword fight.

Fact is, we don't know how the silent majority feels about some topics. There are a lot of lurkers on this Board. DJs with a variety of opinions and perspectives.

CafeSavoy

#140 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:51 pm

falty411 wrote:This just makes me feel even better about my goal to fill our ballrooms with live music again and to put swing DJs out of a job :)
If that is your goal then i question your participation on this board.
And i question why you continue to dj. If you were consistent in your
beliefs, you could start with yourself and stop djing.

I must add that i support the idea of filling ballrooms with live music.
Even first reclaiming the old ballrooms is a great idea. I don't think
that goal is mutually exclusive from the goals of this board. The people
who i personally know to have done much to introduce new and innovative
approaches to bringing together great living musicians and dancers are
members of this board. Most swing djs came to this vocation because
of a love of the music. And i am sure would support good live music
events.

mousethief

#141 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am

I didn't know that we qualified as a movement.

Sweet deal.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Shorty Dave

#142 Post by Shorty Dave » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:03 am

falty411 wrote:Actually no, I think DJs are a necassary evil and would much rather have them all (including myself) dissapear and be replaced by live music.
falty411 wrote:This just makes me feel even better about my goal to fill our ballrooms with live music again and to put swing DJs out of a job :)
Whether this was your intention or not, I perceive your comments to be that of which you're placing yourself on a soapbox above all the people on this board in that you like live music more than anyone else. I would be very surprised if there's a DJ on here who has a different view than yours. Sure, in an ideal world, there would be great live music non-stop at every dance. When one kick ass band stops, another goes on.

I'm just wondering what you're doing - if anything at all - to try to reach your goal? Have you, as Rayned suggested, taken the first step and stopped DJing yourself? Have you stopped attending dances where there's no band? Have you stopped attending dances where there's a band, but there's a DJ between steps? Or better yet, are you yourself *organizing* dances or getting your buddies (Jam Cellar? something else? I dunno) to organize dances with live music only and no DJs?

I'm 100% serious when I say I think your "goal" is right on the money. What a great world that would be. And I'd love to open discussion amongst us jazz fans about what the best ways are to achieve your goal.

mousethief

#143 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:25 am

Shorty Dave wrote:I'm 100% serious when I say I think your "goal" is right on the money. What a great world that would be. And I'd love to open discussion amongst us jazz fans about what the best ways are to achieve your goal.
We all move to New Orleans and hire Big Cash to keep us happy.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#144 Post by gatorgal » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:12 am

falty411 wrote: This just makes me feel even better about my goal to fill our ballrooms with live music again and to put swing DJs out of a job :)
But what will I do with my free time if I can't troll boards and buy the occasional CD? :)

Seriously though, I don't think Falty needs to justify his existence on this board because he prefers live music to DJs. That's just silly.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Addict

#145 Post by Addict » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:23 am

I just wanted to say that I find the phrase 'The Usual Suspects' highly amusing, and would assume that it is indicative of a very open mind

P.S. For the record, while I have DJ'd a set here or there, I'm by no means a working Swing DJ, so I completely understand if the moderators find it appropriate to delete this account. Thanks

yedancer

#146 Post by yedancer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:50 am

Addict wrote:I just wanted to say that I find the phrase 'The Usual Suspects' highly amusing, and would assume that it is indicative of a very open mind
Hahaha!
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Nate Dogg

#147 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:09 pm

Addict wrote:I just wanted to say that I find the phrase 'The Usual Suspects' highly amusing, and would assume that it is indicative of a very open mind

P.S. For the record, while I have DJ'd a set here or there, I'm by no means a working Swing DJ, so I completely understand if the moderators find it appropriate to delete this account. Thanks
I don't know if open mind has much to do with. Not sure, who coined the term on this Board. Several people have used it. It is just that if you post certain statements (like, I love the way Lou Rawls swings or I loved lindyhopping to Al Green last night at the 9:20 Special), you will get a quick response from any one of 7 or 8 DJs ridiculing or correcting you. You can bank on it.

There is a funny fake movie poster waiting to be made. Not sure who should be Keyser Soze though.

Mr Awesomer

#148 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:16 pm

Or the flip side, getting "ridiculed" by the same people over and over for playing to much "fast" or to much "low-fi" or "not attempting to please as many as possible for the sake of keeping the dance floor as full as possible." Funny you left that out Nate. zzz
Reuben Brown
Southern California

yedancer

#149 Post by yedancer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:02 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: It is just that if you post certain statements (like, I love the way Lou Rawls swings or I loved lindyhopping to Al Green last night at the 9:20 Special), you will get a quick response from any one of 7 or 8 DJs ridiculing or correcting you. You can bank on it.
You can also bank on a different group of "usual suspects" jumping in with a quick response to ridicule or correct anyone who dares to publically acknowledge that they don't love Lou Rawls and Al Green. Isn't there a word to describe such behavior? Oh yes: hypocrisy.

If you are so against flaming, try not doing it yourself.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

CafeSavoy

#150 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:03 pm

gatorgal wrote: Seriously though, I don't think Falty needs to justify his existence on this board because he prefers live music to DJs. That's just silly.

Tina 8)
no one is asking him to justify his membership because he loves swing music. although i question his right to impose a litmus test on others about their love of swing music just because they are djs. and i wonder why he chooses to participate on a swing dj board if he hates swing djing. and why he chooses to continuing djing.

also i think that if you choose to sell wolf tickets you should be prepared that some will chose to redeem them. if you can't take criticism then don't be so harsh in criticizing others.