Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

#166 Post by Roy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:55 pm

On a note I really like Mikey's dJing. Classic swing but with a distinct taste that is his own, plus he mixes up tempos and feels of the music within the classic swing genre.

mousethief

#167 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:56 pm

Are you guys going to trot any other evidence? Maybe something from LiveJournal or a letter to my grandmother?

The only thing I think is worth debating right now is how we can get back on track. I didn't like the show and I'm pretty broad-based. I wasn't listening to it at 0-Dark-30, because I listen to Yehoodi during the day.

End of story.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Roy

#168 Post by Roy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:17 pm

I didn't even listen to it, no need, after reviewing the set list I am quite familiar with all but 2 songs on the set list. But if i was not so familiar with the music, I might enjoy it if all the soul was taken out and I was in a mellow mood.

djstarr

#169 Post by djstarr » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:08 pm

dana wrote:
djstarr wrote:And I'd love to get a good game of Texas Hold'em with the Dj's on the board; anyone who is at DCLX and wants to play (when we aren't dancing) just let me know.
Next time I'm in Seattle, yeah? I'm just learning how to play! <-- classic bluff maneuver
sure....we will set you up. We played at PDX during the pub crawl; we pooled our change together and were playing with that until the busboy busted us - technically it's illegal to play with money - even change. So we played with sugar packets --- sweet n low were 1s and sugar packets were 5. And Lucy said she used to play also.....

djstarr

#170 Post by djstarr » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:20 pm

I'm going to start a new thread about live music - I have a nice little story to tell.

And I had a lovely time at PDX listening to both live and Dj'ed music - I had not heard Riley spin before, and I was very impressed --- certainly a vote to keep DJ's playing here and there because I knew very little of the material he spun and it all kicked ass.

Swifty

#171 Post by Swifty » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:29 pm

Nando wrote:If we're all proponents for live music, maybe we should all stop DJing, take up some instruments and start a band.
Okay, done.

Spuds

#172 Post by Spuds » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:37 pm

It's all good. I think Mike is rad.

- M

Nando

#173 Post by Nando » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:53 pm

A question for all those who've had a gig on Yehoodi radio. What determines your 4 hour set?

Do you just put your A-game on? Do you try and throw in lots of rare stuff to wow us, take chances, play a some of the favorites (even though some of us would call those songs "overplayed") or just screw around with some non-swing stuff.

Plus now that we've had a show under fire, do people feel any pressure to put a better show now because it'll fall under critique in this forum?

falty411

#174 Post by falty411 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:59 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:I'm 100% serious when I say I think your "goal" is right on the money. What a great world that would be. And I'd love to open discussion amongst us jazz fans about what the best ways are to achieve your goal.
I think the first step in this goal is to get musicians and dancers to realize how important we are to eachother and develop long lasting realationships. Something along the lines of what you are doing in NYC. And to an extent what I did in MPLS with The Times.

Some people may have the arguement that without DJs we would no longer hear Ella or Chick Webb or Billie or whatever. But I say, without throwing our all into live music, we will never have another Ella, Webb or Billie.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#175 Post by falty411 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:01 pm

CafeSavoy wrote: if you can't take criticism then don't be so harsh in criticizing others.
i dont think anyone has ever said that I dont take criticism.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#176 Post by falty411 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:04 pm

Spuds wrote:No more DJs spinning swing. Cool. Let’s have live bands for all the dances. Also, let’s have live bands in all the dance classes and workshops. Can we have live bands at exchanges too? No recorded music. Oh, and live bands for all the competitions and live bands for any lindy performances. Hey, I just got XM radio for my car (you know, the satellite radio that travels with you all over the country) and it’s got this cool break-out box that let’s me take it inside and continue listening. But I’ve given that up and now. I’ve hired a swing trio to just follow me around.

Oh, and here’s my obligatory smiley face so you all know that I am kidding.
:D
I actually think that all sounds really fuckin cool. Wasnt steven using a live band in some of his classes 6 years ago? I know some tap classes and african classes use live music in classes, and it was REALLY cool.

All i am saying is that I wish the "rock stars" music people in our scene werent reuben, jesse, or rayned.......I wish they were actual musicians.
-mikey faltesek

Nate Dogg

#177 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:25 pm

falty411 wrote: I actually think that all sounds really fuckin cool. Wasnt steven using a live band in some of his classes 6 years ago? I know some tap classes and african classes use live music in classes, and it was REALLY cool.

All i am saying is that I wish the "rock stars" music people in our scene werent reuben, jesse, or rayned.......I wish they were actual musicians.
I don't know if that is true.

What do you call Barbara Morrison, Lavay Smith, the late Indigo Swing, and George Gee (not meaning to leave anybody out, there are plenty of other great bands in this group)? The recodings of many active, modern bands get played at dances around the country, virtually every night of the week.

Most Exchange organizers in cities without sufficient jazz bands would love to book some of these bands. But, the economics get in the way. Hence, if you want a music name that people recognize, you end up getting an affordable DJ.

It is not that people are disrepecting live music when they book an all DJ Exchange or they bring in DJs. It is more about not losing your shirt by investing in a band.

I just don't know how you can you realistically expect to achieve your goal. Even if every DJ and organizer in the country supported it. The people and money don't exist to make it happen.

Nathan

kitkat

#178 Post by kitkat » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:04 pm

CD books are more portable than a band. Like Spuds joked about his XM radio--he still made a point. You buy music so you can dance any time you like; not just when a band's playing.

We won't have affordable jazz bands all over the place unless the general public takes a liking to swinging jazz. They had them back then because a huge portion of the music-seeing market supported it...these guys didn't make their money on dancers alone! They made them on couples eating in clubs, on people at theaters, etc, as well.

It's an unreal expectation unless the campaign extends beyond swing dancers. (Though I suppose not so unreal if there're already plenty of live band events in a city and it's just a matter of re-routing dancers--i.e. dancing to CDs only happens when all live dancing is maxed out and it's a matter of dancing more hours per week.)

Geez...what am I doing posting here...I hate contributing to the continuation of philosophical threads on this forum.

Roy

#179 Post by Roy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:19 am

Nate Dogg wrote:

It is not that people are disrepecting live music when they book an all DJ Exchange or they bring in DJs. It is more about not losing your shirt by investing in a band.

Nathan
I think it's ridiculous to have a major exchange with no live music. There is no losing your shirt if you know you will bring in at least 200 out of town dancers because you did so last year and the year before. You make a budget knowing you minimal attendance and stick to it.

There are a certain amount of dancers out there who prefer DJ music over live music. I can understand that when you live in a city with mediocre bands, but it you don't then I don't get it.

Roy

#180 Post by Roy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:27 am

falty411 wrote: Wasnt steven using a live band in some of his classes 6 years ago? I know some tap classes and african classes use live music in classes, and it was REALLY cool.
He still does at times. He Used Yoko Noge a few years back in Chicago and uses a lise band at the Oakland swing dance festival.

It's great for people who don't have an understanding of how the music works and musicians interact. He has one excerise where the drummer will call out a break to the rest of the musicans but he has pre-aranged that the rest of the band will ignore it and keep playing(the dancers don't know). Steven tells the class to break when the band breaks and has been explaining to the class how the rest of the musians know when to break and does a few real breaks. Then the false one comes the drummer calls it and the band keeps playing, but all the dancers who break from the call break in their dancing and everyone who did not hear it keeps dancing.