Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

#151 Post by yedancer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:05 pm

Although it's admirable to want live music over DJ'd music, I think such a goal is silly to pursue in our day and age. I would much rather listen to Count Basie and Duke Ellington on a record than the local blues or jump swing band. There aren't enough good bands in existence to have live music all the time for lindy hoppers. I doubt there ever will be.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Spuds

#152 Post by Spuds » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:10 pm

No more DJs spinning swing. Cool. Let’s have live bands for all the dances. Also, let’s have live bands in all the dance classes and workshops. Can we have live bands at exchanges too? No recorded music. Oh, and live bands for all the competitions and live bands for any lindy performances. Hey, I just got XM radio for my car (you know, the satellite radio that travels with you all over the country) and it’s got this cool break-out box that let’s me take it inside and continue listening. But I’ve given that up and now. I’ve hired a swing trio to just follow me around.

Oh, and here’s my obligatory smiley face so you all know that I am kidding.
:D

mousethief

#153 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:13 pm

They're my theme music. Every good hero should have some.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#154 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:30 pm

julius wrote:
djstarr wrote: So what is dozens?
Trading insults.

Yo mama so old, her social security number is 1.
Yo mama so old, she was there first day of salvery.
Yo mama so nasty, she has to say "Ms. Jackson."

Also called "snaps."

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Nate Dogg

#155 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:35 pm

yedancer wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: It is just that if you post certain statements (like, I love the way Lou Rawls swings or I loved lindyhopping to Al Green last night at the 9:20 Special), you will get a quick response from any one of 7 or 8 DJs ridiculing or correcting you. You can bank on it.
You can also bank on a different group of "usual suspects" jumping in with a quick response to ridicule or correct anyone who dares to publically acknowledge that they don't love Lou Rawls and Al Green. Isn't there a word to describe such behavior? Oh yes: hypocrisy.

If you are so against flaming, try not doing it yourself.

I have asked myself the question before, is it not hypocritical to criticize somebody for being overly harsh to his fellow DJ? The answer is that I am bit hypocritical in that regard. I have no problem admitting to acting hypocritical sometimes. From my experience, just about every human is hypocritical. Those who think they are free of hypocrisy are usually the biggest hypocrites of all.

If you wanted to do some research, you could write a pretty extensive document about hypocrisy and double talk on this Board.

So, calling me a hypocrite does not bother me too much, I was half expecting somebody to notice the inherent dilemma of my position.

That being said, everybody on this Board ought to be nicer to each other. :wink:
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mousethief

#156 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:39 pm

Jeremy's sig sums up the whole argument...

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Kalman

Nando

#157 Post by Nando » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:40 pm

If we're all proponents for live music, maybe we should all stop DJing, take up some instruments and start a band.

Soma-Guy

#158 Post by Soma-Guy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:55 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
I have asked myself the question before, is it not hypocritical to criticize somebody for being is overly harsh to his fellow DJ? The answer is that I am bit hypocritical in that regard. I have no problem admitting to acting hypocritical sometimes. From my experience, just about every human is hypocritical. Those who think they are free of hypocrisy are usually the biggest hypocrites of all.
Personaly I think all right thinking Hypocrites should clearly be against the Hypocrisy of Hypocritical D.J's.

mousethief

#159 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:17 pm

What about the liberal left-thinking Hypocritical DJs?

Kalman

yedancer

#160 Post by yedancer » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:27 pm

HAHA! Good times, good times.
-Jeremy

gatorgal

#161 Post by gatorgal » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:30 pm

Nando wrote:If we're all proponents for live music, maybe we should all stop DJing, take up some instruments and start a band.
I'm in. I'll play the triangle.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Nate Dogg

#162 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:32 pm

mousethief wrote:What about the liberal left-thinking Hypocritical DJs?

Kalman
Politicians are big hypocrites. Most people in power end up having a high level of hypocrisy.

By they way, at what point did we stop talking about the Yehoodi Radio show.

mousethief

#163 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:39 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Nathan wrote:It is funny how people try to pretend that what they write is not meant to be personal or overly harsh. Those people need to read what they write.
When I read things like [Falty's posts], it is does not persuade me to straighten up and play the "correct" lindy hop music. Instead, it makes me feel like being a little defiant.
Absofrigginlutely. Although I can definitely sympathize with someone who gets a bad rap for merely stating one's opinion (no less stating it forcefully and with conviction), even *I* at least try to keep it in line and avoid spouting ridiculous smack that is obviously meant to be nothing more than personally rude and insulting: as if personal intimidation is the best way to persuade. That attack was so far out of line that it should be removed from the board, entirely, for fear that people will read it and think that such comments are acceptable and appropriate in this forum.

But, just like some people have claimed they ignore my posts, please just ignore his. It only gives him a rise when he sparks a fire. Indeed, it seems to be the only time he posts anything, anyway.
Somewhere around here, I'm thinking.

I'm curious as to the line-up for April and May.

Kalman

julius

#164 Post by julius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:45 pm

Shorty Dave wrote: Whether this was your intention or not, I perceive your comments to be that of which you're placing yourself on a soapbox above all the people on this board in that you like live music more than anyone else. I would be very surprised if there's a DJ on here who has a different view than yours.
JesseMiner (11:22:31 AM): just remember i might be coming from a different perspective from you. i don't believe that in a perfect world it would be all live music. i honestly love DJs. well more generally, i love good music, so in a perfect world we'd have the best bands and best DJs all kicking it .
lordjulius5 (11:22:47 AM): interesting
JesseMiner (11:22:49 AM): good music is good music, and bad is no substitute.
lordjulius5 (11:22:50 AM): can i quote you on that :)
JesseMiner (11:22:58 AM): which part?
lordjulius5 (11:23:09 AM): "i don't believe that in a perfect world it would be all live music. i honestly love DJs."
JesseMiner (11:23:30 AM): sure. why not? i'm not alone in that sentiment. they are many people who feel that way.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

As a long-term professional hypocrite, I feel obligated to point out that hypocrisy doesn't mean the critic is incorrect. It just means that he is a lamer. Mikey would freely admit he's a lamer.

julius

#165 Post by julius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:50 pm

I think Mike should be the next Yehoodi guest DJ.