Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#106 Post by Lawrence » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:50 pm

Nathan wrote:It is funny how people try to pretend that what they write is not meant to be personal or overly harsh. Those people need to read what they write.
When I read things like [Falty's posts], it is does not persuade me to straighten up and play the "correct" lindy hop music. Instead, it makes me feel like being a little defiant.
Absofrigginlutely. Although I can definitely sympathize with someone who gets a bad rap for merely stating one's opinion (no less stating it forcefully and with conviction), even *I* at least try to keep it in line and avoid spouting ridiculous smack that is obviously meant to be nothing more than personally rude and insulting: as if personal intimidation is the best way to persuade. That attack was so far out of line that it should be removed from the board, entirely, for fear that people will read it and think that such comments are acceptable and appropriate in this forum.

But, just like some people have claimed they ignore my posts, please just ignore his. It only gives him a rise when he sparks a fire. Indeed, it seems to be the only time he posts anything, anyway.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

julius

#107 Post by julius » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:15 pm

Yeah, that Mound City Blue Blowers thread really has people riled up!

yedancer

#108 Post by yedancer » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:01 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Nathan wrote:It is funny how people try to pretend that what they write is not meant to be personal or overly harsh. Those people need to read what they write.
When I read things like [Falty's posts], it is does not persuade me to straighten up and play the "correct" lindy hop music. Instead, it makes me feel like being a little defiant.
Absofrigginlutely. Although I can definitely sympathize with someone who gets a bad rap for merely stating one's opinion (no less stating it forcefully and with conviction), even *I* at least try to keep it in line and avoid spouting ridiculous smack that is obviously meant to be nothing more than personally rude and insulting: as if personal intimidation is the best way to persuade. That attack was so far out of line that it should be removed from the board, entirely, for fear that people will read it and think that such comments are acceptable and appropriate in this forum.

But, just like some people have claimed they ignore my posts, please just ignore his. It only gives him a rise when he sparks a fire. Indeed, it seems to be the only time he posts anything, anyway.
Ah, the irony.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

gatorgal

#109 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:22 pm

djstarr wrote:
Is the rest of the country experiencing this phenomenon? I think the farthest south it's gotten is San Fran; I haven't heard any word on parties in LA or San Diego.
I've held a couple of these type of parties here in South Florida, right after SoFlex. Just a fluke. But I love doing it. Plan to continue.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

CafeSavoy

#110 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:58 am

Revealing discussion so far. Perhaps i'm just a different generation but i think how you express your opinion is as important as what you say. Nothing wrong with not agreeing, in fact, a good argument is fun. But replaying grade school has lost its charm to some. Except for the dozens, that's always topical.

Spuds

#111 Post by Spuds » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:12 am

Im guessing falty would hate Jen and Justin's show because they played The Clash, The Velvet Underground and Oingo Boingo.

mousethief

#112 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:53 am

Spuds wrote:Im guessing falty would hate Jen and Justin's show because they played The Clash, The Velvet Underground and Oingo Boingo.
I would have.

I kid, I kid. I missed the show.

As for Nathan's comment about defiance - whatever. You're letting other people drive your sets, if that's the case. Because some DJ in AZ thinks that Ernestine Anderson sucks, I'm not going to play her just to prove a point. My audience doesn't care what goes on this board.

I'm putting together a Yehoodi show - hopefully - and I'm mindful of my theoretical audience. Dancers, most of them at their desks, in the middle of the day. I view it as entertainment. If they wanted education, they could just as easily choose NPR. For a party atmosphere, Live365 is full of soul and dance channels. So why are they listening to Yehoodi Radio on Guest Thursdays?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#113 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:05 am

On a more positive note, this is the first time I have listened to Yehoodi on a day other than Guest Thursday and I'm enjoying the show. Good call having it put up on the News section of the site, Jesse.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#114 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:59 am

CafeSavoy wrote:Revealing discussion so far. Perhaps i'm just a different generation but i think how you express your opinion is as important as what you say. Nothing wrong with not agreeing, in fact, a good argument is fun. But replaying grade school has lost its charm to some. Except for the dozens, that's always topical.
God, I hate that I'll have three posts in a row.

I think it's fine for Falty to say what he said, unedited. I don't necessarily think it was the best way to address the issue, but other critics can heap scorn on a performance and not be considered out for blood. It's usally the defensive reaction that is the most volatile. So it works both ways.
Lawrence wrote:Absofrigginlutely. Although I can definitely sympathize with someone who gets a bad rap for merely stating one's opinion (no less stating it forcefully and with conviction), even *I* at least try to keep it in line and avoid spouting ridiculous smack that is obviously meant to be nothing more than personally rude and insulting: as if personal intimidation is the best way to persuade. That attack was so far out of line that it should be removed from the board, entirely, for fear that people will read it and think that such comments are acceptable and appropriate in this forum.
This isn't a court Lawrence. You're as guilty as some others for inciting pointless argument, baiting and flat-out name calling and labeling others as awkward or goofy-looking.

Falty is entitled to say what he said. You would just be arguing a different point if he had said it another way. The argument would just be "How Falty Never Likes Anything" or "How Falty Is A Contrary SOB" because that's what YOU want him to be.

Glass houses.

Kalman

Nate Dogg

#115 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:33 am

mousethief wrote:
Spuds wrote:Im guessing falty would hate Jen and Justin's show because they played The Clash, The Velvet Underground and Oingo Boingo.
I would have.

I kid, I kid. I missed the show.

As for Nathan's comment about defiance - whatever. You're letting other people drive your sets, if that's the case. Because some DJ in AZ thinks that Ernestine Anderson sucks, I'm not going to play her just to prove a point. My audience doesn't care what goes on this board.
Kalman
The opposite, after reading the usual suspects bitch about Ernestine Anderson and artists of her ilk. I feel encouraged to play her.

gatorgal

#116 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:37 am

CafeSavoy wrote:Revealing discussion so far. Perhaps i'm just a different generation but i think how you express your opinion is as important as what you say. Nothing wrong with not agreeing, in fact, a good argument is fun. But replaying grade school has lost its charm to some. Except for the dozens, that's always topical.
That's a much better way of expressing what I thought. My problem is not criticism, but how we criticize each other. But I admittedly live in my happy world where everyone gets along.

Side note... I shudder to think what would happen if folks start playin' the dozens here. But my money's on Kalman. :)
mousethief wrote: God, I hate that I'll have three posts in a row.
Three posts in a row just says you're dorky. Four posts in a row means you have no life. So you're still good. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#117 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:39 am

Your set, your choice. I just would be more apt to play something because someone had something positive to say about an artist as opposed to picking selection based on a negative comment by someone I most likely met once at an exchange.

And I'll complain about Ernestine from time to time. A lot of her stuff isn't danceable. But I hate to be labeled as a usual suspect because I have an opinion. There are too many labels out there as it is.

Kalman

Nate Dogg

#118 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:58 am

mousethief wrote:Your set, your choice. I just would be more apt to play something because someone had something positive to say about an artist as opposed to picking selection based on a negative comment by someone I most likely met once at an exchange.

And I'll complain about Ernestine from time to time. A lot of her stuff isn't danceable. But I hate to be labeled as a usual suspect. There are two many labels out there as it is. We're not helping.

Kalman
1. I don't consider you an usual suspect, mainly because I know you on a personal basis and I can more easily separate the online talk.

2. My point was not that I read the list and play the opposite of what Falty says is cool or play what he dislikes. What I mean is that when people bitch about Sam Cooke and Gene Harris, etc... , such talk tends to bring those artists to mind, it reminds me of the cool songs that I have not played in awhile. The Yehoodi set that was attacked yesterday is a great example. I feel inspired to play some of the songs on his list.

mousethief

#119 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:04 am

And I don't. Cool? Cool.

We'll find drinks - and common ground - in Houston.

Now Jesse and Rayned - *cough* *cough*

I have it on good authority that you got gigs for the American Nat'ls WCS/Lindy event in H-town. ON MY RECOMMENDATION (to Randy Clemens). I want tribute. Say, a lock of hair from Jesse's coifure and a a rendition of Soul Train (3 Mo' Tenors style) from Rayned.

Kalman

mousethief

#120 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:14 am

And I want in on Yehoodi Radio.

BONG.

Kalman