Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#91 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:06 pm

I have not listened to the show.

But, I found some of the posts to be in poor taste. It is funny how people try to pretend that what they write is not meant to be personal or overly harsh. Those people need to read what they write. That was a scathing review. Lucky for Ian, most of the dancers in Vancouver don't know Falty and could care less what he thinks.

But, on the bright side, anything that gets a rise out of Falty is a good thing.

I think I might play some time Huey Lewis tonight, dedicate it to Iain.

Nathan :twisted:
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mousethief

#92 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:27 pm

By poor taste, do you mean myself, Falty and possibly Julius? Maybe you don't, maybe you're just after Falty. It doesn't really matter.

We can disagree on every other topic but not a fellow DJs Yehoodi program? I tuned in to be entertained; I wasn't. I don't have anything against Iain and I hope his scene is very successful and receptive to his sets, blues or otherwise.

But I do feel a need to point out that this is a discussion board and so long as I don't foulmouth someone, I can disagree with them as much as I like. If anything, the Yehoodi thread should be full of commentary. But it's not; it's almost sacrosanct.

Why?

Kalman
Last edited by mousethief on Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

shortyjul

#93 Post by shortyjul » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:30 pm

Look. Go ahead and put me in a "camp" with Mike if you want. I have played probably >90% of those songs at one point in my DJ life - keeping in mind that I also DJ westie events. You can go ahead and say that this gets a "rise" out of Mike and joke that there are just 2 different camps. Jesse can like and support it - he is VERY supportive like that. That's to be expected. But I just don't understand those choices as being representative of one's entire repetoire of swing music.

I seriously am not trying to aggrevate or take sides. I just wouldn't equate "getting a rise out of Mikey" as "a good set."

mousethief

#94 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:32 pm

Good post, Jul.

That's like DJing for one person!

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#95 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:40 pm

mousethief wrote:If I ever get around to asking for a session, I'm going to play "Unskinny Bop."

Kalman
I mean this.

Kalman

julius

#96 Post by julius » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:41 pm

i guess i stumbled on the two least jazz related songs in your set purely by happenstance.

thanks for clarifying what kind of music you intended to play. i was a bit stunned that anybody could think this was intended for lindy hop.

Roy

#97 Post by Roy » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:43 pm

Outside of the 7 or so soul songs. I would be a happy dancer dancing to this set. My personal preference would be for some classic swing mixed in, but like I said from a dancers perspective I would be happy the way it is minus the soul. I am clearly anti-soul at swing or blues events. Of the Jazz songs there is no crap in this set, all great musicians.

julius

#98 Post by julius » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:44 pm

Not to detract from the wonderful meta-discussion, but I've always been curious: how does a DJ assemble the music for the YRS and then get the music over? Iain seems to be implying that he just sent a whole bunch of mp3s over to somewhere. I always wondered if DJs literally sat at home and recorded themselves on a CD and then mailed it to Jesse or something.

JesseMiner

#99 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:55 pm

julius wrote:Not to detract from the wonderful meta-discussion, but I've always been curious: how does a DJ assemble the music for the YRS and then get the music over? Iain seems to be implying that he just sent a whole bunch of mp3s over to somewhere. I always wondered if DJs literally sat at home and recorded themselves on a CD and then mailed it to Jesse or something.
Basically we ask each DJ to assemble a 4-hour show in mp3 format accompanied by a few station IDs (in wav format), a photo and a short bio. They put together the four hours of music, order it however they want, FTP it us (or burn it to a CD and mail it if not technically inclined), and then we load it up to live365.com where it then loops for the full 24 hours each Thursday for a month.

Jesse

(geek)

#100 Post by (geek) » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:02 pm

shortyjul wrote:But I just don't understand those choices as being representative of one's entire repetoire of swing music.
As I said before, the set isn't at all representative of my entire DJ repertoire nor what Vancouver's scene is like day in and day out. By no means should one DJ's set be used as litmus of an entire scene.

Nor is this set "for one person". This is what you'd find at a blues party up here, and folks dig it. Party, not dance event. Party. Different atmosphere, different expectations. _Traffic Jam_ is not welcome at a small, hot party, but if you're in a silly mood, Huey Lewis can get by.

Falty's got strong preferences, which is great, and recognises that there are different strokes for different folks. Even if I find some of his comments acerbic or even rudely worded, his point is sound.

As for finding a set "entertaining", as always that's going to be largely a matter of opinion and mood. When you're in the mood to rock out, you don't tune your radio to the local EZ-Rock station. If you're not in the mood for blues/groove/soul/etc, my set sure isn't going to thrill you.
Last edited by (geek) on Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate Dogg

#101 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:09 pm

shortyjul wrote:Look. Go ahead and put me in a "camp" with Mike if you want. I have played probably >90% of those songs at one point in my DJ life - keeping in mind that I also DJ westie events. You can go ahead and say that this gets a "rise" out of Mike and joke that there are just 2 different camps. Jesse can like and support it - he is VERY supportive like that. That's to be expected. But I just don't understand those choices as being representative of one's entire repetoire of swing music.

I seriously am not trying to aggrevate or take sides. I just wouldn't equate "getting a rise out of Mikey" as "a good set."
I was mainly replying to Mike, since he started the fire.

I never said that getting a rise out of Mike Faltesek equates to a good set. I was being sarcastic.

On a serious note, why should all the DJs conform to the usual suspects?

I never got the memo that the Yehoodi show was supposed to be "be a representative of one's entire repetoire of swing music." When I spoke to Jesse and Manu about the show, it was never phrased that way. The word "lindy hop" was never uttered. From what I have understood over the years, (Manu and Jess feel free to elaborate) the DJ's agenda is is fairly loosely defined. I am sure there are limits, but nobody has pushed things that far yet.

The great thing is, all the offensive DJs will keep playing whatever they want, which is whatever their audience accepts and embraces.

You guys can keep complaining everytime your hear <insert offensive artist, genre or song>, either played or advocated online on a forum.

When I read things like the negative review, it is does not persuade me to straighten up and play the "correct" lindy hop music. Instead, it makes me feel like being a little defiant.

Nathan
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gatorgal

#102 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:11 pm

Roy wrote: I am clearly anti-soul at swing or blues events. Of the Jazz songs there is no crap in this set, all great musicians.
This clinches it... Roy, I always knew you had no soul. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

yedancer

#103 Post by yedancer » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:24 pm

mousethief wrote:But I do feel a need to point out that this is a discussion board and so long as I don't foulmouth someone, I can disagree with them as much as I like.
I disagree. I think we should all be happy and love each other and agree with everything anyone says.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

gatorgal

#104 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:31 pm

mousethief wrote:
mousethief wrote:If I ever get around to asking for a session, I'm going to play "Unskinny Bop."

Kalman
I mean this.

Kalman
You know, you don't have to wait for them...
How can I be a Guest DJ?
We are always looking for people in the Lindy Hop community who are passionate about swinging music and want to share their favorites with the Yehoodi audience. Contact us with your ideas at radio@yehoodi.com.
You can always lobby to get on. I, for one, expect to hear both Poison and Cinderella. A little Bon Jovi and GnR wouldn't hurt either.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

djstarr

#105 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:12 pm

(geek) wrote:Party. Different atmosphere, different expectations. _Traffic Jam_ is not welcome at a small, hot party, but if you're in a silly mood, Huey Lewis can get by.
Yeah, too bad Jesse's intro came after the show aired - I go to Vancouver occasionally, and I don't think that's a set that would get dj'ed at Vancouver's regular evening swing dances.

Iain - I know you've started running another night in Vancouver, but I haven't heard too much about it --- do you dj similar music there or is there a different focus?

And I've alluded to this in other posts, but on the west coast there has been a ton of private blues parties organized by swing dancers where a lot of the local DJs (VanCan, Seattle, Portland) pitch in and spin an hour or two. They are *very* different from a swing or lindy hop event in a public dance hall. They are great fun to spin at because you can totally expand and play stuff you wouldn't normally spin. I just got a copy of "Copulatin' Blues" that I can't wait for the next blues party to play.

Is the rest of the country experiencing this phenomenon? I think the farthest south it's gotten is San Fran; I haven't heard any word on parties in LA or San Diego.

And Iain, as for blues in the 90 - 120 bpm range I like the new Ernestine Anderson CD - "Love Makes the Changes"; the guy I spin for you that you like is Curtis Stigers - I have "Secret Heart" and "Baby Plays Around" that both have great blues songs; and there are a couple of killer tunes on the Roy Eldridge "Little Jazz and the Jimmy Ryan All-stars" CD (Rayned had recommended it for a diff. version of Sing Sing Sing but it's a great overall CD).

For vintage blues, you can't beat Sidney Bechet or Jack Teagarden or the Spivey sisters with Henry Red Allen - I've got a bunch of songs from these artists that would work well for both swing dances and blues parties.