Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#76 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:18 pm

Alright, I'll comment.

I... agree... with... Falty...

I'm off to go ice-skating in Hell.

Later,

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

falty411

#77 Post by falty411 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:18 pm

julius wrote:
i don't know the dj at all and i have nothing against him, but this really bums me out.
exactly, it has NOTHING to do with the person. just the music
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mousethief

#78 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:41 pm

julius wrote:believe it or not, i'm pretty open-minded about what gets played. but 70s soft rock? "i love it when we're groovin' together?" this is for lindy hop? the song after that is ... more lite funk or whatever you want to call it.
That's 90's soft rock, maybe even this century. That's Gwenyth Paltrow and Huey Lewis. The next selection was the Spinners.

Gimme some "I'll Be Around!"

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#79 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:48 pm

falty411 wrote:
julius wrote:
i don't know the dj at all and i have nothing against him, but this really bums me out.
exactly, it has NOTHING to do with the person. just the music
Thanks for the clarification, because I thought your original post was VERY harsh. It did not "read" like you were making that distinction at all.

I am in no way trying to be flip or be a total bitch here, but I am curious to know if you plan to make your grievances known to Jesse or the other "powers that be" or what. Because venting in random posts is one thing, offering a solution or an alternative is quite another.

That is not quite as eloquent as I want it to be, but hey, it's just my proverbial two cents.

As a complete and total aside... is there any DJ [or dance instructor for that matter] that you DO like? :) No need to humor me on this one... it's just my curiosity speaking.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#80 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:58 pm

Well, as far as contacting Jesse, I think he's doing the right thing by supporting a venue for DJs to grow and be exposed to a "national" market. I have nothing but good things to say for Jesse's efforts in the scene throughout the years. But while I applaud Jesse, I just wasn't crazy about the show.

Falty is harsh sometimes. So am I. But if you put together a 4 hour radio program, I don't think that should make you immune to criticism. Especially when its advertised among your peers.

What do you suggest for criticism? Line-item reviews of the show? That's really harsh. Advocacy for more classic swing? Falty does that every day.

In fact, if I ever get a Yehoodi show, I would want honest debate/discussion among my peers about what worked and what didn't. And I would want it here.

Kalman
Last edited by mousethief on Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falty411

#81 Post by falty411 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:00 pm

I just offered up a review of this months guest's set. I figured this was the most appropriate place to offer up a review of it. I feel my review is not the absolute truth but just one mans opinion. I also thought it was fair and I didnt say a word about the person.

I hate it when people cant make distinctions between their musical preferences or dance ability etc and their actual quality as a person.

As far as my review it was just though, posting my opinion on the set to see what others thought. I am not going to make compliants to Yehoodi or Jesse or whatever because I do realize different people/scenes have different tastes and I think that is the point of the guest DJ to show all the different varieties.

To answer your question about DJs, is there any DJ i do like? Actually no, I think DJs are a necassary evil and would much rather have them all (including myself) dissapear and be replaced by live music.

But yes there are DJs I like to dance to and dancers that I love. Granted I am a lot pickier than most i suppose. But I think its ok to be picky.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

gatorgal

#82 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:23 pm

First of all, thank you both for your comments...
mousethief wrote:Falty is harsh sometimes. So am I. But if you put together a 4 hour radio program, I don't think that should make you immune to criticism. Especially when its advertised among your peers.
Uhh... no kidding! :)

Seriously, though, I agree. It doesn't make you immune to criticism. I guess what rubbed me the wrong way was this statement:
falty411 wrote:Now I can see why people say what they say about the Vancouver dance scene if this is indicitive of the music that dominates there.
That's not a criticism of music, that was some of us southern gals call a "catty remark", and I thought that was a bit harsh. It also makes it hard to take his remarks seriously when he posts stuff like that. But falty has already said that his remarks weren't personal, just professional, so I'm already belabouring a point I didn't want to.
falty411 wrote:I hate it when people cant make distinctions between their musical preferences or dance ability etc and their actual quality as a person.
See above response. That quote is what made me think you had "crossed a line" so to speak and compelled me to make my first post. Live and learn they say.
falty411 wrote:But yes there are DJs I like to dance to and dancers that I love. Granted I am a lot pickier than most i suppose. But I think its ok to be picky.
Guess I should have picked that up from your avatar. :) But it's nice to know...

Thanks for answering my questions and humoring me.

Tina 8)

mousethief

#83 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:37 pm

gatorgal wrote: Guess I should have picked that up from your avatar. :) But it's nice to know...
Yeah, I like Gary Coleman too.

Kalman

Roy

#84 Post by Roy » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:47 pm

I think we need a nick name for dj's who play more then a token soul song in a swing set. After all some people are called Groove DJ's or classic swing dJ's.

mousethief

#85 Post by mousethief » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:55 pm

I like the term "DJ" personally.

Kalman

JesseMiner

#86 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:05 pm

Wow, so much discussion before I was even able to post the information about this month's shows:

March Thursday Guest DJ: Iain McBride (Vancouver, BC)

The month of March brings to us another swingin’ Guest DJ for Yehoodi Radio. Iain Mcbride from Vancouver, BC presents a Thursday set of blues and groove for your Internet Radio swing fix. Here’s a little about Iain:

"This Canadian, hailing from Vancouver, BC, takes his swing hard with a side of groove and a splash of funk. He's no stranger in the travelling lindy exchange scene, and has organised several exchanges in Toronto and Vancouver. Tune in for a taste of Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Gene Harris and the other Two Sounds, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Ray Charles, Les McCann, and many more of his favourite artists."

March Friday Producer's Picks: Diggin' in the Crates

For March's "Producer's Picks", I have been digging through my own collection for some great swinging tunes that have yet to make it into my dance floor selections. As DJs we spend a good portion of our lives searching for that new gem of a song, whether it be by thumbing through row after row of dusty CDs in a used shop or clicking through countless pages on Amazon.com. Enjoy these fine gems each Friday on Yehoodi Radio.

Jesse

gatorgal

#87 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:07 pm

Yeah, Jesse... get on the ball man! :)

This is making me really peeved that I don't have speakers at work.

Tina 8)

JesseMiner

#88 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:08 pm

And regarding Iain's show, I've been listening to it for a while now, and I've heard a bunch of my favorite tunes, so no complaints so far!

Jesse

(geek)

hmm..

#89 Post by (geek) » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:49 pm

Glad to see my selection slagged by the usual suspects already. ;-)

The set I put together for the yehoodi radio show is what I like to play at a midnight-6am "blues" party.. it's not intended to be a "here's what's interesting and new for DJs", nor appropriate for your average "hard swingin'" dance event.

I certainly wouldn't want to dance, spin, or even listen to this stuff all the time, but it's fun for a night.. and I think there's a large community of people who agree.

I'll be the first to admit that there's too much Gene Harris-esque frill in the set, but I was pressed for time and didn't have everything already MP3'd up.

I'd like to get more "blues" into a blues party, myself.. less groove. Any suggestions on tunes/artists with a great blues feel in the slowish 90-120bpm danceable range?

(geek)

#90 Post by (geek) » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:02 pm

Set list:

01 - The Oscar Peterson Trio - Night train.mp3
02 - Louis Jordan - Let The Good Times Roll.mp3
03 - John Lee Hooker - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.mp3
04 - Quincy Jones - Blues Day.mp3
05 - Gene Harris - Sweet Georgia Brown.mp3
06 - Colin James - Think.mp3
07 - Count Basie - Every Day I Have The Blues.mp3
08 - Les McCann - Red Top.mp3
09 - Marvin Gaye - What's Going On.mp3
10 - Jack McDuff & Gene Harris - Stormy Weather.mp3
11 - Aretha Franklin - Bring It On Home To Me.mp3
12 - Wynton Kelly - When Love Slips Away.mp3
13 - Diane Schuur - Stormy Monday Blues.mp3
14 - Ray Brown Trio - Please Send Me Someone To Love.mp3
15 - Diana Krall - I Don't Know Enough about You.mp3
16 - Ramsey Lewis - Do What You Wanna (Mr. Scruff's Soul Party Mix).mp3
17 - Barbara Morrison - Going To Chicago.mp3
18 - Art Blakey - Moaning.mp3
19 - James Brown - Cold Sweat.mp3
20 - Muddy Waters - Still A Fool.mp3
21 - Barbara Morrison - Alright, Ok, You Win Everyday (I Have The Blues).mp3
22 - Les McCann - Watermelon Man.mp3
23 - Various Artists - Long John Blues.mp3
24 - Wycliffe Gordon - Blooz...First Thaingh 'Dis.mp3
25 - Gwyneth Paltrow & Huey Lewis - Cruisin.mp3
26 - The Spinners - It's A Shame.mp3
27 - Colin James - I'll See It Through.mp3
28 - Count Basie - Hallelujah.mp3
29 - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Let's Call the Whole Thing Off.mp3
30 - Harry "Sweets" Edison And Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Dirty Butt Blues.mp3
31 - Diana Krall - Peel Me a Grape.mp3
32 - Aretha Franklin - Ramblin'.mp3
33 - Oscar Peterson - Jim.mp3
34 - Alberta Hunter - Sweet Georgia Brown.mp3
35 - Jimmy Witherspoon - Then The Light Go Out.mp3
36 - John Lee Hooker - Never Get Out Of These Blues Alive.mp3
37 - Lionel Hampton - Lavender Coffin.mp3
38 - Big Joe Turner - Poor Lover's Blues.mp3
39 - Johnny Hodges - A Pound Of Blues.mp3
40 - Count Basie & Ella Fitzgerald - 'Deed I Do.mp3
41 - Carmen McRae - East Of The Sun (West Of The Moon).mp3
42 - Alberta Hunter - The Darktown Strutters Ball.mp3
43 - Les McCann - The Great City.mp3
44 - Count Basie & Ella Fitzgerald - I'm Beginning To See The Light.mp3
45 - Gene Harris - Uptown Sop.mp3
46 - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Don't Be That Way.mp3
47 - Gene Harris - Swingin The Blues (Disc 2) - 2-03 Things Ain't What They Used To Be.mp3
48 - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Learnin' the Blues.mp3
49 - Nat King Cole - Orange Colored Sky.mp3
50 - Ray Brown - When I Fall In Love.mp3
51 - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Cheek to Cheek.mp3
52 - Joe Williams - Every Day I Have The Blues.mp3
53 - Nina Simone - Feeling Good.mp3
54 - Gene Harris - Summertime.mp3