Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Marcelo

#511 Post by Marcelo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:14 am

Mr Awesomer wrote:Ah, so you found the stuff you asked for? And now I've got a new coaster? haha
No, I found enough stuff to replace what I couldn't find. I could still use the disc.

JesseMiner

#512 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 pm

August Thursday Guest DJ: Darren Witt (Melbourne, Australia)

Darren Witt is our March guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Darren:

"Darren Witt, better known to Yehoodites as Henry Hui Hui, has been Djing off and on in Melbourne, Australia since 2003. Playing in most of the venues around Melbourne, as well as at various Exchanges & Camps, he took a break from Djing for a couple of years, looking for a change in his music. After a trip to the U.S. in 2005, and hearing the music being played in venues such as the Century Ballroom in Seattle and Sugarfoot Stomp in L.A., he came back inspired to broaden his musical horizons, and started Djing again. Most recently he has been one of the DJs at Madame Dynamite's a regular lindy hop venue in Melbourne, and also DJed at Steven & Virginie's Swing Camp Oz this year. (4 hour set!)."

Enjoy! :)

Jesse

JesseMiner

#513 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:25 am

September Thursday Guest DJ: Adam Baus (Milwaukee, WI)

Adam Baus (aka DJ Charles Stan) is our September guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Adam:

"DJ Charles Stan is Mr. Adam Baus from the shores of Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, WI. A classically trained pianist, self employed piano teacher, musical director, master snowflake craftsmen, pedagogue, and dance instructor, Adam embraces the role of DJ as artist and musician. He has an affinity for fast dancing - loves to Charleston and is a huge fan of Collegiate Shag - but likes dancing all tempos and relishes the swing world for its ability to do so. Adam runs Brew City Hops, which has sponsored dances in the Milwaukee area over the past 4 years. He loves to DJ and appeal to all types of dancers: jazz aficionados, blues dancers, Michael Jackson fans, and those who share his love of gospel music. He is proud to be a cheesehead from Wisconsin and hopes you enjoy hearing music from his little corner of the Midwest."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#514 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:13 am

October Thursday Guest DJ: Keith "DJ Big Papa" Shapiro (Austin, TX)

Keith "DJ Big Papa" Shapiro is our October guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Keith:

"DJ Big Papa (AKA Keith Shapiro) is from Austin, TX. He is a recurring DJ for the Austin Swing Syndicate and Go Dance. Before moving to Austin, Big Papa started the Orlando Blues organization in Orlando, FL and was one of the house DJs there. Big Papa has DJed at Fizz (Chicago), The 9:20 Special (San Francisco), ALX, ATLX, Mezzjelly Soul, Lone Star Championships and a number of major Blues Dance events, and he recently placed third in the DJ competition at East Meets West ‘09 in Dallas, TX. Big Papa (along with Jonathan Pechon) is also responsible for Confessing The Blues – a monthly podcast about blues music for blues dancers and DJs – check it out!"

Jesse

JesseMiner

#515 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:07 am

December Thursday Guest DJ: Haydn Meddick (London, UK)

Haydn Meddick is our December guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Haydn:

"Haydn Meddick discovered swing dancing by accident when he saw people dancing by the River Thames in London in July 2003. Having a background in music, it didn't take long for him to start noticing the different music that was being played, and he soon developed a liking for classic swing from the 1930s and 1940s. Since 2006, Haydn has DJed at different clubs in London, and at Herrang Dance Camp in Sweden."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#516 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:28 am

Where's Yehoodi Radio?

Where is Yehoodi Radio? It's still here! Amidst the Yehoodi 3.0 excitement, Yehoodi Radio's future home is currently under construction. In the meantime, you can visit Yehoodi's live365 page directly to enjoy all of our swinging programming. Please bear with us during this exciting change and be reassured that Yehoodi Radio continues to be the premiere 24-hour internet radio station for all of your swinging jazz and blues needs!

Jesse

JesseMiner

#517 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 am

Yehoodi Radio Celebrates a Decade of Modern Swinging Music

Tune into Yehoodi Radio every Thursday in January for a salute to the modern swinging bands who have supported the Lindy Hop scene over the past decade. These bands deserve major thanks for their hard work and dedication. Without them we would not get to experience the wonderful feeling and energy of dancing to live music. There is something magical about us as dancers interacting with the musicians. Yes we can still love Basie, Ellington and Hamp, but let's also appreciate and savor our contemporaries who are playing their hearts out for us. Kudos to all the musicians out there...this show is for you!

Jesse

Haydn

#518 Post by Haydn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Here is a belated setlist from my December Yehoodi Radio show:

Song Title, Artist, CD Title and Year (where I have it):

Oakland To Burbank, Ray Noble, The Legendary Big Bands
'Tain't No Use, Benny Goodman, The Birth Of Swing (1935-1936) (Disc 3), 1936
Hep-Tee-Hootie, Dolly Dawn & Her Dawn Patrol, Girls' Night Out, 1940
Organ Grinder's Swing, Teddy Stauffer Mit Seinen Original Teddies, Swing, Teddy, Swing! 1936
It Ain't Gonna Be Like That, Charles Brown, West Coast Blues Ramblers

I Ain't Gonna Cry, No More, Percy Mayfield, Memory Pain
You Ain't Nowhere, Don Redman & His Orchestra, McKinney's Cotton Pickers (1930-1931)/Don Redman (1939-1940), 1940
Undecided, Red Norvo, 1938-1939, 1938
Boog It, Cab Calloway, Are You Hep To The Jive?, 1940
Let's Get Away From It All, Connie Haines with Tommy Dorsey, Kiss The Boys Goodbye, 1941

Swing Is The Thing, Valaida (Queen Of The Trumpet) With Swing Accompaniment, Parlophone-F-88
Tailspin, The Dorsey Brothers, Dance Crazy, 1935
I'm Coming Virginia, RAF Dance Band, Flying High
Christopher Columbus. Bob Crosby & His Orchestra, Bob Crosby (Time Life), 1936
Always True To You In My Fashion, Julie London The Essential: Julie London

Solid As A Rock, Count Basie, Complete Original American RCA-Victor Recordings [Disc 3]. 1949
Make Me Know It. Ina Ray Hutton & Her Orchestra, Girls' Night Out, 1940
Jersey Bounce, Red Norvo, Nuances By Norvo Vol. 5
Kissin' My Baby Goodnight, Ivie Anderson & The Duke Ellington Orchestra, Raisin' The Rent
Old Man Harlem, Ethel Waters, Ethel Waters 1929 -1939, 1939

Loch Lomond, Wingy Manone, Keep The Campfires Burning
Rhythm 'Bout Town, Ace Harris, The Chronological : 1937 - 1952, 1937
Lost in Two Flats, Barney Bigard & His Orchestra, Duke Ellington: The Complete 1936-1940 Vocalion and OKEK Small Group Sessions, 1939
What'll I Do, Claude Hopkins, The Transcription Performances, 1935
Meadowbrook Shuffle, Jan Savitt, It's Time To Jump And Shout, 1941

Long Gone From Bowling Green, Willie Bryant, Complete Jazz Series 1935 - 1936, 1935
Give It Up, Joe Brown and his Band, Sounds Of Harlem Vol.2, 1941
Sophisticated Swing. Ozzie Nelson And His Orchestra 1937, 1937
On The Bumpy Road To Love, Adrian Rollini, 1937-1938
Le Suzy-Kiou, Nanni Dal Dello Mit Seinem Tanzorchester, Jazz In Italy Dalle Origini Alle Grandi Orchestre Volume 2, 1938

Oh Monah Nat Gonella & His Georgians, The Very Best Of Nat Gonella, 1941
Blue Lou, Bunny Berigan, The Best Of The Big Bands, 1937
Fat And Greasy (1940 version), Fats Waller, Vol. 6 Of The Complete Recorded Works A, 1940
Everybody Shuffle, Claude Hopkins, Monkey Business, 1934
Hit The Road Jack, Lennon Sisters, Lennon Sisters Among Our Souvenirs (Disc 1)

Angora, Lloyd Glenn, 1951-1952, 1952
Margie, Jimmie Lunceford, Cabu Jazz Masters - Une Anthologie 1934-1942, 1938
Camel Hop, Benny Goodman & His Orchestra, The Harry James Years Vol. 1, 1937
You Got To Swing And Sway, Ida Cox , Ida Cox Vol. 5 (1939-1940), 1939
Bye Bye Baby, Nat Brandywynne & His Stork Club Orchestra, Band Vocals From The Thirties, 1936

I'm Walking The Chalk-Line, George Scott-Wood. Keep Tempo, 1934
You Ain't Been Living Right, Glen Gray & The Casa Loma Orchestra, Moonglow 1930-1936
Jungle Crawl, Clarence Williams & His Orchestra, Clarence Williams and His Orchestra Vol. 2, 1933-1937
Sharpy, Cootie Williams & His Rug Cutters; Scat Powell, vocal, The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions 1938
Diggin' For Dex, Count Basie, Complete Jazz Series 1941, 1941
William Tell, Tempo King, Tempo King, 1936

Blue Minor, Mora's Modern Rhythmists, Mr. Rhythmist Goes To Town
Evenin' Count Basie & His Orchestra, Classic Columbia, Okeh and Vocalion Lester Young with Count Basie (1936-1940), 1940
When My Sugar Walks Down The Street, Ivie Anderson (With Duke Ellington), All God's Chillun . . . - Ivie & Duke (Vol. 2), 1938
A Sultan Goes To Harlem, Stanley Black, The Stanley Black Songbook
My Baby Don't Love Me No More, DeJohn Sisters, The Complete DeJohn Sisters

Sand In My Shoes, Connie Boswell, Original Hollywood Hits, 1941
Moon Love, Glenn Miller, Glenn Miller: The Greatest Hits, 1939
Let's Fall In Love, Ziggy Elman, Complete Jazz Series 1938 - 1939, 1939
In The Mood, I Maestro Del Ritmo , Jazz In Italy Under Fascism, 1942
Woodchoppers Ball, Fud Candrix with his Orchestra, Brussel 1940-1941, Berlin 1942, 1940

Pick That Bass, Hoosier Hot Shots, Everybody Stomp (Disc 2) Hot Lips
Wild Man Blues, Johnny Dodds, Complete Jazz Series 1928 - 1940, 1938
Stand By! For Further Announcements, Lionel Hampton, vocal, & His Orchestra, The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-1941, 1939
Some Like It Hot, Gene Krupa, Wire Brush Stomp 1938-1941, 1939
Broadway's Gone Hill-Billy, Ramona, Ramona & Her Grand Piano, 1934

Music Makers, Harry James, Original Golden Hits, 1941
A String Of Pearls, Glenn Miller & The Army Air Forces Training Command Band, The Secret Broadcasts (Disc 3), 1944
It Ain't Right, Kitty Stevenson with Todd Rhodes and his Toddlers, Blues For The Red Boy - The Early Sensation Recordings
Harlem, Harry Roy, Tanztempo, Vol. 5: Barmusik, 1937
Swampland, Snub Mosley, Very Best of Big Band Swingin' Jive, 1941

Blue Jazz, Lew Stone And His Band, British Dance Bands, 1933
Adam's Apple, Barney Rapp And His Orchestra, The Big Broadcast, 1937
I'll Walk Away, James Hunter, People Gonna Talk
Moten Swing (LIVE), Charlie Barnet & His Orchestra, Dance Date
Between 18th And 19th On Chestnut Street, Bob Crosby (Eddie Miller And Nappy Lamare, Vocals), Bob Crosby (Time Life), 1939

Japanese Sandman, Svend Asmussen, Swing Tanzen Verboten! ([Disc 2] - Swing In Occupied Europe 1940-1944)
King Porter Stomp, Bob Crosby and His Orchestra, Perfect Jazz
Don't Wake Up My Heart, Midge Williams And Her Jazz Jesters, Swing Street, 1938
I'm Knockin' At The Cabin Door, Lil Armstrong And Her Swing Band, The Chronological Lil Hardin Armstrong 1936-1940, 1937
Just A-Settin' And A-Rockin', Duke Ellington, Complete Jazz Series 1940 - 1941, 1941
I Would Do Anything For You, Joe Marsala, Joe Marsala Selected Favorites Vol. 1, 1945

JesseMiner

#519 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 am

February Thursday Guest DJ: Heather Flock (New York, NY)

Heather Flock is our February guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Heather:

"New Yorker Heather Flock is an avid social dancer, award-winning choreographer, beloved instructor and popular DJ. She discovered Lindy Hop in 1999 and quickly became a leader in the Lindy Hop community. In addition to teaching the "Cram Session" every Thursday night at Yehoodi.com's Frim Fram Jam, she is choreographer of Coney Island Mermaid Parade’s “Winningest Group in Parade History,” the Brooklyn Bombshells, which most recently won the highly coveted ‘Judges Choice’ award. She was also a member of the renowned troupe the Big Apple Lindy Hoppers for many years. Heather likes all kinds of swinging jazz, blues and trad jazz, but does favor female vocalists and has a soft spot for Count Basie, Artie Shaw, Johnny Hodges, Cozy Cole, Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#520 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 am

March Thursday Guest DJ: Kyle Smith (Orange County, CA)

Kyle Smith is our March guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Kyle:

"Kyle Smith, currently of Orange County, has been a part of the swing community as a DJ, dancer, teacher, and lecturer for over 10 years. His DJ career includes head DJ titles at such well known events as All Balboa Weekend (5 years), Eastern Balboa Championships (5 years) and Camp Hollywood (8 years). Kyle brings a sincere passion for music to every event he attends, matched only by his excellence in song vocabulary. Constantly aspiring for greatness, Kyle is always searching for lost songs to reintroduce to the community and really puts emphasis on playing songs to inspire dancers. His passion for the music has developed into a lecture series that introduces dancers to the artists and stories behind the music."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#521 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:38 pm

April Thursday Guest DJ: Steve Conrad (Phoenix, AZ)

Steve Conrad is our April guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Steve:

"Steve Conrad has been a Lindy Hopper since 1995 and an on-air jazz host on KJZZ 91.5 FM (NPR and Jazz) since 1999 when he created and hosted "In the Groove", a two hour program dedicated to great swing music. He has his own DJ business and loves to travel, share music and has DJ’ed all over the world."

Jesse

JesseMiner

#522 Post by JesseMiner » Thu May 06, 2010 7:41 am

May Thursday Guest DJ: Yuri "trinity" Mori (Tokyo, Japan)

Yuri "trinity" Mori is our May guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Yuri:

"Yuri started to Lindy Hop in 1999 and DJ in 2003. She served as a resident DJ for monthly dance events in Tokyo from 2003 until 2008 and then launched a new event "Happy Feet" in 2008. "Happy Feet" is a swing dance party with live performances, featuring local musicians. She sometimes teaches with her husband Mark and travels to other cities like Osaka, Aichi, Sendai, and Sapporo and enjoys DJing there also. Her website introduces Lindy Hop history and swing music for Japanese dancers and listeners. Recently she collaborated with musicians to perform Lindy Hop on their stages. DJ Tomo from NY is her sister. (4 hour set)"

Yuri has put together an amazing set featuring swinging music by Japanese musicians and live performances from Japanese jazz festivals.

Jesse

JesseMiner

#523 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:36 am

June Thursday Guest DJ: Allen Kerr (San Francisco)

Allen Kerr is our June guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Allen:

"Allen has been ravenously collecting music since 2005 and found he has a knack for finding music that delights and inspires dancers. He has DJed many national events, including ILHC, Lindy Focus, Eastern Balboa Championships, Enter the Blues, and All Balboa Weekend. Allen also used to spin regularly for the Jam Cellar and Backroom Blues in DC until his recent move to San Francisco. (4 hour set)"

Jesse

JesseMiner

#524 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:12 pm

August Thursday Guest DJ: Alex Protopopescu (Mountain View, CA)

Alex Protopopescu is our August guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here's a little about Alex:

"I started dancing lindy in 1998 and DJ'ing regularly only a few years ago. I spin about once every five weeks at a weekly venue in Mountain View, CA. These days I like old, scratchy, tuba-laced recordings more than new, clean, Hammond-organ-infused ones, but tend to play a little of everything. The result is, of course, that everybody will find something to complain about in my sets. (8 hour set!)"

Jesse

straycat

#525 Post by straycat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:31 am

Last few times I tried to listen to Yehoodi Radio, I've got the message: "Broadcast unavailable. 'yehoodi' is not broadcasting on our system at the moment. Please try again later. "

Anyone else getting this?