Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

JesseMiner

#316 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:20 am

There was some confusion about the song order of Sharon's show last week. It has now been corrected, so please tune in today to hear the intended show. Sounds great!

Jesse

JesseMiner

#317 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:27 am

March Thursday Guest DJ: Jim Wheatley (Atlanta, GA)

Jim Wheatley from Atlanta, Georgia is our March guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Jim:

Jim Wheatley has been actively DJing and dancing in the Atlanta area for more than six years. He currently hosts a monthly dance called the “D-Town Special” in nearby Decatur, and regularly spins at dances sponsored by the Atlanta Swing Era Dance Association (ASEDA). He has also DJed at such events as the Beantown Summer Camp, MC2 in Nashville and Lindy exchanges in San Diego, Chicago, St. Louis and South Florida. He was also a Coordinator for Atlanta’s inaugural Lindy Exchange in 2004, and serves in the same role for this year’s event. Jim enjoys spinning and blending a variety of musical styles, including classic jazz, swing, blues and R&B.

"For my set, I focused on songs and musicians rooted in the South. I’m originally from Alabama and now live in Georgia, so I’ve included many artists originally from these states, as well as some present-day Atlanta musicians. I’ve attempted to cover a wide range of musical tastes, including the sounds of my other favorite Southern cities, Nashville and New Orleans. Some of these songs, meanwhile, are simply favorites of the Atlanta Lindy community. I hope you enjoy the show!"

Jesse

gatorgal

#318 Post by gatorgal » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:26 pm

Woo Hoo! Can't wait to hear your set Mr. Wheatley!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

wheato

#319 Post by wheato » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:59 pm

Well Tina, I hope you've had a chance to hear it by now. It was a lot of fun to put together, although in hearing it again, I can think of several things I would have done differently. But I'm pretty happy with it.

Much thanks to Jesse for bringing it on line and for letting me add some tunes fairly late, particularly the Titan Hot 7 track from their new CD.

Stylistically it's all over the map, but I tried to navigate the map logically. Hope you all hear some stuff you like.

The playlist:

1. Atlanta Blues – Louis Armstrong (Louis Armstrong plays W.C. Handy, Columbia/Legacy) 4:33

2. Peachtree Street – Woody Herman & His Thundering Herd (The Band That Plays the Blues 1937-1941, Aero) 3:14

3. Le Jazz Hot – Jimmie Lunceford & His Orchestra (Lunceford Special: 1939-1940, Columbia/Legacy) 2:40

4. Fine Dinner – Coleman Hawkins’ All-Star Octet (Coleman Hawkins: A Retrospective, 1929-1963, Bluebird) 2:33

5. Hey! Ba-Ba-Re-Bop – Lionel Hampton & His Orchestra (The Lionel Hampton Story, Disc 3, Proper Records) 3:22

6. Root Beer Sizzle Sazzle Sizzle – Three Bits of Rhythm (Mellow Cats ‘n’ Kittens, Ace Records Ltd.) 3:09

7. 5-10-15 Hours – Ruth Brown (Rockin’ in Rhythm: The Best of Ruth Brown, Rhino) 3:11

8. Route 66 – Eddie Tigner (Route 66, Music Maker Recordings) 4:48

9. Home at Last – Little Willie John (Fever The Best of Little Willie John, Rhino) 2:47

10. Jack, I’m Mellow – Kermit Ruffins (1533 St. Phillip Street, Basin Street Records) 4:09

11. I Will Always Be in Love With You – The Boilermaker Jazz Band (Give Me Your Telephone Number, BMJB) 4:06

12. Apollo Jump – Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra (Apollo Jump: Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra, Disc 1, Proper Records) 3:23

13. A Martin on Every Block – Lionel Hampton & His Orchestra (Tempo and Swing, Bluebird) 2:48

14. Don’t Falter at the Alter – Cab Calloway (Are You Hep to the Jive, Columbia/Legacy) 2:43

15. Topsy – Count Basie & His Orchestra (Count Basie: the Complete Decca Recordings, Decca Jazz/GRP) 3:12

16. Dameron Stomp – Harlan Leonard & His Rockets (The Engine Room: A History of Jazz Drumming from Storyville to 52nd Street, Disc 3, Proper Records) 2:55

17. Clementine – Duke Ellington & His Orchestra (Never No Lament: The Blanton-Webster Band, Disc 3, Bluebird) 3:01

18. Tired, Broke and Busted – Floyd Dixon (The Cocktail Combos, Disc 3, Capitol Records) 2:35

19. Never, Never – Dinah Washington (The Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 3, Disc 1, Nippon Phonogram) 2:17

20. Blues Montage – Langston Hughes with Leonard Feather (The Best of Beat Generation, Rhino) 3:09

21. Blue Monday Blues – Jimmy Witherspoon with Jay McShann & His Band (Goin’ to Kansas City Blues, RCA) 3:40

22. Every Night – Joe Williams (Me and the Blues/The Song is You, Collectables Jazz Classics) 2:56

23. The Beat – Henry Mancini (Blues and the Beat, RCA) 3:09

24. On and On – Gladys Knight & the Pips (Soul Survivors: the Best of Gladys Knight & the Pips 1973-1988, Rhino) 3:25

25. Save the Bones for Henry Jones – Nat King Cole and Johnny Mercer (Jazz Encounters, Capitol Jazz) 2:38

26. Mr. Rhythm Man – Cats ‘n’ the Fiddle (We the Cats Will Swing For You, Living Era) 2:46

27. Jamaica Jam – Teddy Powell (An Anthology of Big Band Swing 1930-1955, Decca Jazz/GRP) 2:40

28. Maple Leaf Rag – Don Ewell (Jazz Ltd. Vol. 1, Delmark Records) 2:51

29. Jammin’ For the Jack-Pot – Mills Blue Rhythm Band (Mills Blue Rhythm Band: Best Recordings 1931-1937, Best of Jazz Records) 2:24

30. Soft Winds – Benny Goodman Sextet (Charlie Christian: The Genius of the Electric Guitar, Disc One, Columbia/Legacy) 2:27

31. Ration Stomp – Sonny Greer & His Rextet (Earl Hines and the Duke’s Men, Delmark) 2:56

32. My Blue Heaven – Artie Shaw & His Orchestra (Artie Shaw & His Orchestra: Personal Best, Bluebird) 3:44

33. Somebody Loves Me – The New Orleans Jazz Vipers (The New Orleans Jazz Vipers, NOJV) 3:58

34. Gotta Do Some War Work – Jonathan Stout and His Campus Five featuring Hilary Alexander (Crazy Rhythm, Won Records) 2:55

35. Rose Room – Titan Hot 7 (Out of the Box, THS) 5:11

36. Chicks is Wonderful – Jack Teagarden & His Orchestra (Jack Teagarden: Father of Jazz Trombone, Disc Two, AMSC) 3:13

37. Little Jazz – Roy Eldridge (Roy Eldridge: Little Jazz Trumpet Giant, Disc Two, Proper Records) 3:00

38. Shadrack – Three Bits of Rhythm (Mellow Cats ‘n’ Kittens, Ace Records Ltd.) 2:44

39. Hard-Hearted Hannah – Ella Fitzgerald (The Priceless Jazz Collection Vol. 3, GRP Recording) 3:00

40. Don’t Let It Go to Your Head – Nat King Cole (After Midnight, Capitol Jazz) 3:10

41. A-Well-A-Take-Em Joe (Crapshooter’s Jive) – Slim & Slam (Laughing in Rhythm, Disc One, Proper Records) 3:01

42. Flash – Harry James & His Orchestra (Dance Parade / Your Dance Date with Harry James, Collectables) 2:58

43. Swingin’ on Lenox Avenue – Erskine Hawkins & His Orchestra (The Original Tuxedo Junction, Bluebird) 3:14

44. Can’t Take My Baby Nowhere – Kermit Ruffins (Swing This!, Basin Street Records) 3:50

45. Blues in the Night – Bobby Blue Bland (Turn On Your Love Light: The Duke Recordings Vol. 2, Disc One, MCA) 3:33

46. Preaching the Blues – La Vern Baker (La Vern Baker Sings Bessie Smith, Atlantic Jazz) 2:50

47. Last Night on the Back Porch – Bob French’s Original Tuxedo Jazz Band (3 Generations, Tuxedo Records) 4:47

48. Roll With My Baby – Ray Charles (The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic Rhythm & Blues Recordings, 1952-1959, Disc One, Atlantic) 2:35

49. Little Susie – Ray Bryant Trio (Meet Betty Carter and Ray Bryant / Little Susie, Collectables) 4:47

50. K.C. Blues – Charlie Parker (Bird’s Best Bop on Verve, Verve) 3:24

51. You Better Watch Yourself, Bub – Nellie Lutcher (The Best of Nellie Lutcher, Capitol Jazz) 2:58

52. The King – Count Basie & His Orchestra (The Count Basie Story, Disc Four, Proper Records) 3:06

53. Shortnin’ Bread – Fats Waller (Fats Waller & his Rhythm: The Last Years, 1940-1943, Disc Two, Bluebird) 2:39

54. In the Groove at the Grove – Chick Webb & His Orchestra (Strictly Jive, Hep Records) 2:34

55. Nice Work if You Can Get It – Billie Holiday (Lady Day Swings! Columbia/Legacy) 3:07

56. Texas Blues – Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys (Boot Heel Drag: The MGM Years, Mercury) 2:22

57. Cherokee Boogie – Moon Mullican (Moon Mullican Sings His All-Time Greatest Hits, King Records) 3:04

58. Royal Garden Blues – Chet Atkins (RCA Country Legends: Chet Atkins, Buddha Records) 2:16

59. I Got a Right to Sing the Blues – Francine Reed (Shades of Blue, Platinum Entertainment) 4:04

60. Mean to Me – Illinois Jacquet (Jacquet á La Carte, Ocium) 3:19

61. Do Nothin’ ‘Til You Hear From Me – Nina Simone (Forbidden Fruit/Nina Simone Sings Ellington/Folksy Nina, Demon-Westside) 2:28

62. Centerpiece – Gene Harris Superband (Big Band Soul, Concord Jazz) 4:40

63. Out of Sight – James Brown (James Brown: Star Time Box Disc One, Polydor) 2:19

64. Woman’s Got Soul – Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions (Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions: The Anthology 1961-1977, Disc One, MCA)

65. Cleo’s Back – Jr. Walker & the All-Stars (Jr. Walker & the All-Stars: The Ultimate Collection, Motown) 2:30

66. Boogie Woogie on St. Louis Blues – Glen Gray & the Casa Loma Orchestra (More Sounds of the Great Swing Bands, Eric Records) 2:57

67. Southern Echoes – Buddy Johnson & His Orchestra (Walk ’Em, Ace Records) 3:15

68. Wrappin’ It Up (The Lindy Glide) – Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra (Tidal Wave, MCA) 2:39

69. Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble – Bud Freeman & His Famous Chicagoans (Jack Teagarden: Father of Jazz Trombone, Disc Two, AMSC) 2:50

70. Digga Digga Do – New Orleans Jazz Vipers (New Orleans Jazz Vipers, NOJV) 5:25

71. I’m So Glad – Washboard Chaz Blues Trio (Dog Days, Corrugated Records) 4:04

72. Cool Down – Roy Milton & His Solid Senders (Legends of Specialty, Roy Milton Vol. 3: Blowin’ With Roy, Specialty Records) 2:40

73. Jesus is a Friend of Mine – The Swan Silvertones (The Swan Silvertones/Saviour Pass Me Not, Vee Jay/Collectables) 2:30

74. Azalea – Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington (The Great Summit: The Master Takes, Roulette Jazz) 5:01

djstarr

#320 Post by djstarr » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:22 pm

wheato wrote:74. Azalea – Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington (The Great Summit: The Master Takes, Roulette Jazz) 5:01[/size]
Nice set list - several tracks on there I DJ regularly. *AND* I love Azalea, I don't get a chance to play it too often but it is such a beautiful song.

Matthew

#321 Post by Matthew » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:14 pm

I'm really enjoying the show (in the middle of "Ration Stomp" right now). Nice set, Jim!

Serg

#322 Post by Serg » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:45 am

Just listened to the show. Tight and Old School.

Good job Jim.

Play some of that good music in Atlanta. See you there next week.

Serg

Nate Dogg

#323 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:57 pm

Good set.

For those who like the Eddie Tigner track, you can download it for free at

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/musicmakers ... out66.html

I am going to have one of the Austin dancers attending ATLX pick up the full CD, assuming the price is reasonable (they are selling it for $19 on the website, that is pretty high).

It is also on iTunes for $9.99, but I would rather get a real CD.

Nathan

JesseMiner

#324 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:38 am

April Thursday Guest DJ: "Slick" Mike Smith (Boston, MA)

Mike Smith from Boston, Massachusetts is a long-time favorite DJ of mine and is now our April guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Mike:

"Slick" Mike Smith is from Boston and has been dancing and DJing in the area since 1997. Early weekly DJ gigs in the Boston area included Upstairs Lounge, Swing City and Monday Night Practice Session. He has been the DJ at his weekly dance on Monday nights for over 6 years. In addition to playing many local dances, he has been a DJ for many national Lindy exchanges such as Denver, D.C., Chicago, and Boston. He was the DJ for Frankie Manning’s 87th Birthday party in Boston and also every Yehoodi party except the last one. Mike has done guest DJ slots at Lindy Groove in California, SusieQ’s and Vinnie’s in Connecticut, Herrang Lindy Camp in Sweden, and frequently at Frim Fram in New York. He is a featured DJ at many national swing competition weekends. He teaches weekly classes for It’s All Swing in Boston Lindy Hop and Tempo Dance Studios for West Coast Swing and also competes in both regularly around the country.

Mike has put together a set of songs for you that will hopefully generate a variety of responses in the listener. When you listen he hopes you find yourself thinking anywhere from…"Man I love that song" to "I’ve never heard that" to even "wow, I remember when they used to play that song all the time". This set includes Big Band, Grooving Jazz, Blues, Novelty Songs, Jump Blues, 50’s vocal groups and Gasp! Neo-swing. All in all it’s for your listening pleasure and he hopes you tap your feet, sing along or get up and dance. Enjoy!

For more on mike check out his websites www.itsallswing.com or www.fiveguysnamedmike.org.

April Friday Producer's Picks: Live Jazz and Blues

The recent discussion here on swingdjs.com about the great energy captured in live recordings has prompted me to bring back a past "Producer's Picks". Throughout April you can once again hear my show highlighting some of the hottest live swinging jazz and blues recordings.

Enjoy!

Jesse

JesseMiner

#325 Post by JesseMiner » Wed May 04, 2005 11:51 pm

May Thursday Guest DJs: Tina Davis (Austin, TX) & Kristina Arscott (Houston, TX)

Tina Davis from Austin, TX teams up with Kristina Arscott from Houston, TX to honor the women of jazz, swing, and the blues as our May guest DJs on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Tina and Kristina and their show:

Tina "gatorgal" Davis has been dancing for more than five years and been DJing for almost three years, after she got her first taste during an open DJ night in South Florida. She claims "dual citizenship" between her home scene in South Florida and her current dance home in Austin, Texas. Tina has DJed several Lindy and WCS events in the US and Canada, including this year’s South Florida Lindy Exchange, the Great Southwest Lindyfest (Houston), and Cheap Thrills (St. Louis). Tina likes playing anything that will get folks movin' and groovin' on the floor.

Kristina "Platypus" Arscott took her first swing dance lesson in 1989 when her mother "dragged" her to a ballroom dance; realizing that her mythic "two left feet" might actually be just a myth, she enrolled in the first ballroom-style class that didn't require her to bring a partner...swing. From happy accident to an obsession, Kristina is now the DJ coordinator for the Houston Swing Dance Society. She was the 2005 Great Southwest Lindyfest DJ coordinator, and has spun at the Houston Lindy Exchange (HotLX) and the Austin Lindy Exchange (ALX). Kristina enjoys playing a wide range of music, from classic swing to modern jazz, to the extent that her music collection has taken over her husband’s sports closet.

Our set was created to honor the women of jazz, swing, and the blues. During one of those many long dance weekends in Texas, we realized that we both wanted to explore the history of women in jazz, which led to a revelation: "Wouldn't that make a cool Yehoodi show?" While in no way comprehensive, our choices reflect what we love to dance to (and of course spin), what we like to listen to, and sometimes what just plain cracks us up.

Jesse

Platypus

#326 Post by Platypus » Thu May 05, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks to the Yehoodi team for welcoming our co-DJed set honoring the divas of jazz and blues. Kudos go to Jesse, whose last minute feverish work (literally) ensured the show was aired on time, despite a delay caused by those naughty-Yehoodi-hackers.

Many thanks to my co-DJ, Tina, whose enthusiasm, drive, and willingness to make 6-hour round trips helped us go from those late night "what if's" to reality. Can't beat a few weekends of sharing great music, laughter, and waffles.

I am dedicating my portion of the set to the Diva-est of Divas, Ms. Dawn Hampton, who inspires us to be true to ourselves, to know our history, and to bangra with the best of them.

Here is our set list:

1. Boswell, Connie - Momma Don't Allow It - A Woman's Place is in the Groove

2. Barrett, Sweet Emma - Joe Avery - Sweet Emma and her Preservation Hall Jazz Band

3. Austin, Lovie - Traveling Blues - Lovie Austin 1924-1926

4. Hutton, Ina Ray and her Melodears - High Steppin - Ina Ray Hutton and her Melodears (All-woman-band)

5. Armstrong, Lil Hardin and her Dixielanders - Riffin' the Blues - Jazz Women (import)

6. - Calloway, Blanche and her Joy Boys - You Ain't Livin' Right - Blanche Calloway and her Joy Boys: 1925-1935 (yes, she IS Cab's sister)

7. Bailey, Mildred - Shoutin' in That Amen Corner - The Incomparible Mildred Bailey

8. Pangman, Alex - Sing You Sinners - They Say…

9. Baker, Bonnie and Orrin Tucker - I'm Gonna Be A Bad Girl - Remember When

10. Howard, Rosetta - If You're a Viper - Men are like Street Cars: Women blues singers 1928-1969

11. Snow, Valaida - Minnie The Moocher - Hot Snow: Queen of Trumpet and Song

12. Fitzgerald, Ella - My Wubba Dolly - Into the Groove

13. Williams, Mary Lou with Andy Kirk - Ring Dem Bells - Mary's Idea

14. International Sweethearts of Rhythm - Swing Shift - Big Band Jazz: The Jubilee Sessions 1943-1946 (all-woman-band)

15. Andrews Sisters - Is You Is (or Is You Ain't) - Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters

16. Carlisle, Una Mae - Blitzkrieg Baby (You Can't Bomb Me) - The Women: Classic Female Jazz Artists 1939-1952

17. Lutcher, Nellie - The Pig Latin Song - Hurry On Down

18. Howard, Camille - Scat Boogie - Camille Howard: Specialty Series, Volume 2

19. Brooks, Hadda - Swingin' the Boogie - I've Got News For You

20. Noge, Yoko - Yoko's Boogie - Yoko's Blue Monday Jam @ Hothouse

21. Lee, Julia - The Glory of Love - Kansas City's First Lady of the Blues

22. Tharpe, Sister Rosetta - I Want a Tall Skinny Papa - The Gospel of the Blues

23. Baker, Lavern - On Revival Day - Sings Bessie Smith

24. Morse, Ella Mae - Accentuate the Positive - The Very Best of Ella Mae Morse

25. Sullivan, Maxine - Christopher Columbus - A Tribute To Andy Razaf

26. Shore, Dinah - Sentimental Journey - Sentimental Journey: Capitol's Great Ladies of Song

27. O'Day, Anita - It Don't Mean a Thing - There's Only One

28. Fitzgerald, Ella - Shiny Stockings - The Concert Years

29. Scott, Shirley - For Dancer's Only - Roll 'Em

30. Smith, Lavay & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers - Sent For You Yesterday - Everybody's Talkin' 'Bout Miss Thing

31. Anderson, Ernestine - See See Rider - My Kinda Swing

32. Molasky, Jessica - All the Cats Join In - A Good Day

33. Butler, Lavern - Hit the Road Jack - Lavern Butler

34. Kitt, Eartha - My Discarded Men - I'm Still Here

35. Krall, Diana - Love Me Like a Man - The Girl in the Other Room

36. Lee, Peggy - I'm A Woman - The Best of Peggy Lee: The Blues and Jazz Sessions

37. Staton, Dakota - Girl Talk - best of the Jazz Singers

38. Reese, Della - If I Never Get to Heaven - Tribute to Gospel

39. Morrison, Barbara - Every Day I Have the Blues - Doc Severnson's Swingin' the Blues

40. Vaughan, Sarah - Perdido - Count Basie/Sarah Vaughn

41. Clooney, Rosemary - I'm Checking Out, Goom Bye - Concord Jazz: A Tribute to Duke

42. McRae, Carmen - I'm Putting All My Eggs in One Basket - Blue Moon

43. Fitzgerald, Ella & Duke Ellington - Lullabye of Birdland - Ella and Duke at the Cote D' Azure

44. Dearie, Blossom - Rhode Island is Famous For You - Verve Jazz Series

45. Holiday, Billie - Them There Eyes - Lady's Decca Days

46. Cole, Natalie - Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball - Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns

47. Hampton, Dawn - Life is What You Make It - Life is What You Make It

48. Capo, Karen Maria - I Can Lindy to That - Songs You Should Know

49. Freelon, Nnenna - Straighten Up and Fly Right - Soulcall

50. Henry, Nicole - Fly Me to the Moon - The Nearness of You

51. Cassidy, Eva - Honeysuckle Rose - Live at Blues Alley

52. Samuels, Abbe - Deed I Do - Thrill Me Again

53. Stallings, Mary - Tain't Nobody's Business - I Waited for You

54. Simone, Nina - I Wish I Knew How It Would It Feels to Be Free - Nina Simone: Anthology

55. Hunter, Alberta - The Darktown Strutter's Ball - Amtrak Blues

56. Brooks, Hadda - I Want A Little Sugar in My Bowl - I've Got News For You

57. Wallace, Sippie - Everybody Loves My Baby - Mighty Tight Woman (yes, those ARE kazoos)

58. Saffire - I Want My Money Back - Essential Women: House of Blues

59. Brown, Ruth - Cabbage Head - A Good Day for the Blues

60. Green, Lil - Why Don't You Do Right - Essential Women of the Blues

61. Humes, Helen - Million Dollar Secret - Deed I Do

62. James, Etta - WOMAN - The Chess Box

63. Washington, Dinah - Big Long Slidin' Thing - Complete on Mercury Volume 3

64. Simone, Nina - Do I Move You - Nina Simone: Anthology

65. Massie, Kim - Dr. Feelgood - The Diva Survival Guide

66. Franklin, Aretha - Try Matty's Spirit - in the Dark

67. Odetta - Jim Crow Blues - Lookin' for a Home

68. Taylor, Koko - Let the Juke Joint Jump - Force of Nature

69. Copeland, Shemekia - I Always Get My Man - Turn the Heat Up

70. Reed, Francine - One Monkey Don't Stop No Show - Essential Women in Blues

71. Smith, Bessie - Gimmee a Pigfoot - Red Hot Jazz

72. Big Maybelle - Gabbin' Blues - Essential Women: House of Blues

73. Washington, Dinah - Long John Blues - Verve Jazz Series 19

74. Groves, Lani - It's A Man's World - Blues for the Midnight Hour

75. Foster, Ruthie - Death Came a Knockin' - Runaway Soul

76. Myers, Amina Claudine - Jailhouse Blues - Amina Claudine Myers Salutes Bessie Smith

77. Donaghy, Judi - I Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues - Sink or Swing

78. Cassidy, Eva - I Wish I Was a Single Girl Again - Time After Time

79. Washington, Toni Lynn - Backwater Blues - Been So Long

80. Cox, Ida - Wild Women Don't Have the Blues - Essential Women in Blues

81. Thorpe, Sister Rosetta - Shout, Sister Shout - Lucky Millinder's Apollo Jump[/i]

gatorgal

#327 Post by gatorgal » Fri May 06, 2005 9:13 am

Many many thanks to Kristina for coming up with the idea for the show and her enthusiasm while getting it done. To say it was fun and enlightening for me is an understatement. It was such a treat hanging out with her, pouring over music (while finding out we have very similiar tastes... scary :)), and most importantly, having her and her hubby feed me waffles and bacon. Everything goes better with bacon.

Thanks to Jesse for giving us the spot and working tirelessly getting the show on the air. I heard you did some stuff while you were sick... man, you are such a trooper. And thanks for keeping the "laughing" ID on the air. That made my day. ;)

Thanks to Manu for whatever wizardry he performed getting the site back up and dealing with the show. I hope you're getting some much deserved rest.

I hope everyone likes the show and finds it as much fun as we did.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

JesseMiner

#328 Post by JesseMiner » Tue May 31, 2005 12:53 am

My apologies for posting this early and spoil the excitement on Thursday, but I am heading off for a 2-week trip and won't be around to post on Thursday.

June Thursday Guest DJ: John Dyer (Denver, CO)

John Dyer is a fantastic DJ from Denver, CO, and we are lucky enough to have him as our June guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about John:

"John caught the Lindy Hop bug in Rochester and Ithaca NY back in 1997. The LH scene was just starting in Rochester so oftentimes he'd DJ for the dancers just to avoid the dreaded "Let's just put a CD in the player and let it go" scenario (props to Swifty, PokeAlex and Mike Thibault during this learning experience). In 2001 he moved to the Denver CO area and has been regularly guest DJing in Denver (Mercury Cafe, Turnverein, special workshop/live events), Boulder (Hard Drive Cafe, Pearl Street Swing and Blues) and Colorado Springs (Swing in the Springs). This will be his 4th year spinning at DLX.

Colorado dancers are my inspiration. The natives and the multitude of transplants have given us dancers and instructors with a rich diversity that just can't be matched. We have exceptional dancers in just about every style of swing and blues dancing possible. This set celebrates Colorado variety and loosely reflects the type of music I'd play for a big dance, giving everyone something to dig their teeth into. If you haven't been dancing in Colorado yet, you're long overdue!"

Enjoy! :)

Jesse

Shanabanana

#329 Post by Shanabanana » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:53 am

John Dyer is one of my all time favorite DJs. And as a bonus, he's fantastic to dance with too. Can't wait to hear his stuff!

JohnDyer

#330 Post by JohnDyer » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:21 pm

My belated set list:

1. Duke Ellington - Kentucky Avenue, A.C. - The Intimacy of the Blues
2. Victrola - Drop Me Off In Harlem - Victrola
3. Jonathan Stout - Jacquet In The Box - Crazy Rhythm
4. Mora's Modern Rhythmists - A Viper's Moan - Call of the Freaks
5. Muggsy Spanier - I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate - The "Ragtime" Band Sessions
6. Artie Shaw - Cross Your Heart - The Grammercy Five Sessions
7. Slam Stewart - Flat Foot Floogee - Definitive Black And Blue Sessions
8. Peter Davis - Till Tom Special - Lindy Hop Heaven
9. The Hotfoot Club - I Like To Riff - Don't Ever Say Goodbye
10. Hal Smith's California Swing Cats - Swing, Brother, Swing - Swing, Brother, Swing
11. Peter Eklund - Yacht Club Swing - Eklund At Elkhart
12. Alex Pangman - Sing You Sinners - They Say
13. Ivie Anderson - Get Yourself A New Broom - It Don't Mean A Thing with the Duke Ellington Orchestra
14. Sidney Bechet and Muggsy Spanier - At The Darktown Strutter's Ball - Double Dixie
15. Eric Clapton - They're Red Hot - Me and Mr. Johnson
16. John Pizzarelli - Come On-A My House - New Standards
17. Big Rude Jake - Swing, Baby! - Blue Pariah
18. Louis Jordan - Tamburitza Boogie - LJ and his Typanny Five (disc 5)
19. Jonah Jones - Jumpin' With Jonah - Jumpin' With Jonah
20. Rob Rio - Baby Let Me Bang Your Box - Swingtrain
21. Mills Brothers - Smack Dab In the Middle - Anthology 1931-1968
22. Ray Charles - Swanee River - Best of RC (Atlantic)
23. Keb' 'Mo - Hand It Over - Just Like You
24. Mike Dowling - Evenin' - Swamp Dog Blues
25. Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love - Careless Love
26. Billie Holiday - Comes Love - Billie's Best
27. Anita O'Day - Waiter, Make Mine The Blues - Diva
28. Aretha Frankin - It Ain't Necessarily So - This Is Jazz, Vol. 34
29. Helen Humes - Baby Won't You Please Come Home - Swingin' With Humes
30. Diana Krall - Pick Yourself Up - When I Look In Your Eyes
31. Bob Wilbur - My Blue Heaven - For Dancers Only, A LH Compilation
32. Spencer Wyatt Big Band - Blues In The Bucket - The Majestic Sndtrk
33. John Pizzarelli - Walkin' My Baby Back Home - P.S. Mr. Cole
34. Frank Sinatra - Sweet Lorraine - Sings His Greatest Hits
35. Crazy About My Baby - John Cocuzzi Quintet - Swingin' And Burnin'
36. Saffire Uppity Blues Women - Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby? - Broadcasting
37. Barney Kessel - Moten Swing - To Swing Or Not To Swing
38. Count Basie - One O'Clock Jump - Count Basie and Friends - 100th Birthday Bash (disc 2)
39. Duke Ellington - Wailing Interval - Private Collection, Vol. 6, California ance Dates 1958
40. Johnny Hodges - Duke's In Bed - Verve Jazz Masters 35
41. Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis - In A Mellow Tone - Live In Atlantic City
42. Lionel Hampton - Hey! Ba-Ba-Re-Bop Hamp's Boogie Woogie - Reunion At Newport 1967
43. Duke Ellington - Take The "A" Train (vocal) - Private Collection Vol. 2, California Dance Dates 1958
44. Ella Fitzgerald - Solid As A Rock - Late Decca Years
45. Illinois Jacquet - Lean Baby - Flying Home, Best of the Verve Years
46. Count Basie and Zoot Simms - It's Only A Paper Moon - Basie and Zoot
47. Johnny Hodges - Good Queen Bess - At Sportbalast Berlin
48. Erskine Hawkins - Five O'Clock Whistle - Chron Classics, 1939-40
49. Helen Humes - Pennies From Heaven - Swingin' With Humes
50. Diana Krall - Fly Me To The Moon - Live In Paris
51. Jane Monheit - Honeysuckle Rose - Taking A Chance On Love
52. Stacey Kent - Too Darn Hot - The Boy Next Door
53. Count Basie - Roll 'Em Pete - Count Basie At Newport
54. Dave Pell - Jumpin' At The Woodside - Prez and Joe
55. Bill Elliott - Bill's Bounce - Calling All Jitterbugs
56. Teddy Powell - Jamaica Jam - Anthology Of Big Band Swing 1930-1955
57. Lou Rawls - Saturday Night Fish Fry - Portrait Of The Blues
58. Jimmy Rushing - Mister Five By Five - Rushing Lullabies
59. Ella Fitzgerald - Who Walks In When I Walk Out - Legendary Decca Recordings
60. Maxine Sullivan - How 'Dja Like To Love Me - Sings Burton Lane
61. Duke Ellington - Out South - Duke Ellington Small Bands
62. Count Basie - Broadway - Count Basie's Finest Hour
63. Martin Sexton - 13 Step Boogie - In The Journey
64. Jimmy Witherspoon - Endless Sleep - Jazz Me Blues
65. Jay McShann - Confessin' The Blues - Blues Classics
66. Preaching The Blues - Laverne Baker - Precious Memories, Laverne Sings Bessie Smith
67. Oscar Brown, Jr. - Hazel's Hips - Sin and Soul... and then Some
68. Lester Young with Oscar Peterson - Almost Like Being In Love - LY with the OP Trio
69. Ray Brown All Stars - Night Train - Don't Forget The Blues
70. Duke Ellington - Suburban Beauty - Private Collection Vol. 6 California Dance Dates 1958
John Dyer, Denver CO