Yehoodi Radio Show

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

#301 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:21 am

laf wrote:
There a few local DJs, who play "Danny's All Star Joint." I always wondered how much it got played elsewhere.
I've never heard another dj play it, and I play it maybe once or twice a year. It's one of those danceable non-swing songs that are fun every once in a while but should not be indulged in. Kinda like the Belafonte song.
It was very popular as a westie tune for years. Lindy hoppers seem to love it too. It's one of those very rare true cross-over songs.
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

JesseMiner

#302 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:23 am

November Thursday Guest DJ: Corey Blodgett (Portland, Oregon)

Corey Blodgett is our November guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Corey:

"Born and raised in and around Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Corey was brought up in a culture where music, dance, and beer were considered a daily community celebration. In fact, he is widely regarded by his friends and family as a "music geek." In 1996, he got his start as a radio DJ for the greatest college radio station in the country, 91.7 fm, WMSE...(Shameless plug, shameless plug) His show was a wonderful mix of lounge, exotica, blues, jazz, and, of course swing. After moving to Chicago he got his first chance to DJ a swing dance, thanks to his "mentor", Riley Wimes, Jr. Now in Portland, Corey can be heard regularly around town. His style is "workmanlike" and as one Portland dancer put it: He is like a be-bop musician, quietly doing his thing, taking his solo, and tipping his hat before returning to the groove. Currently, Corey is a brewer for a local brewpub, where he is trying to recreate the old world culture of his youth."

November Friday Producer's Picks: Tribute to Ray Charles

Watching Ray on Friday night spurred me to rerun our tribute this month. Ray Charles' music is swinging, blues-drenched, spiritual, always soulful. This man makes you want to dance! You are probably familiar with "Rockhouse" and "Hallelujah I Love Her So", but there is so much more. Check out the movie and tune into Yehoodi Radio every Friday this month as we honor his extensive and amazing musical career.

Enjoy!

Jesse

JesseMiner

#303 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:11 am

December Thursday Guest DJ: Michael Gamble (Asheville, North Carolina)

Michael Gamble is our December guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Michael:

"Michael Gamble is known in the Southeastern United States for his attention to the crowd, his stylistic diversity, and his habit of keeping dancers out at late-night events long past there bedtime… He grew up in a house of musical technology, with turntables, keyboards, and modular synthesizers within arm’s reach, and has been deejaying in one fashion or another since high school (about 8 years ago). With his background in electronic dance music, he believes that the most important thing in a DJ set is flow – the smooth blending of music from different stylistic eras into an evening program that is satisfying to dancers across the spectrum of taste. Michael has spun at Herrang Dance Camp (2002-2003, under the tutelage of Mandy & Mohan), Knoxville Lindy Exchange (2003-2004), Atlanta Varsity Showdown (2003-2004), The Frim Fram Jam (NYC), Swingout New Hampshire (2004), Atlanta Lindy Exchange (2004), and virtually every swing dance event in Asheville, NC over the last three years, including the Asheville Lindy Exchange and Lindy Focus (2003-2004). When Michael is not deejaying, dancing, or teaching in the Southeast, he is a full-time jazz piano major at the University of North Carolina, Asheville."

Enjoy!

Jesse

mousethief

#304 Post by mousethief » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:33 am

I came in at Joe Carroll. Nice mix so far. I've only gotten maybe 15 mintues into it.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

sonofvu

#305 Post by sonofvu » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:37 pm

mousethief wrote:I came in at Joe Carroll. Nice mix so far. I've only gotten maybe 15 mintues into it.

Kalman
Kalman, this is your bosss speaking. Get to work.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

mousethief

#306 Post by mousethief » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:19 am

Boss, you've been out a week since my last post.

Shaddupayuface.

*i kid, i kid*

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

JesseMiner

#307 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:26 am

January Thursday Guest DJ: Brian Renehan (Melbourne, Australia)

Brian Renehan is our December guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. Here’s a little about Brian:

"Brian moved from Dublin (Ireland) to Melbourne, late in 2001, with Lindy hop in the forefront of his mind. He started DJing in May 2002 and since then has DJed at all of Melbourne's regular events. In March 2004 he co-founded a regular DJed event in Melbourne (Diga Diga Doo) which involved a kick off night, a tribute to the Savoy Ballroom house bands. He has also dj'd at major events in Melbourne including the Melbourne Lindy Exchange (MLX) 2003 and Swing City 2004. In Canberra, the capital of Australia, he was invited to DJ a "World War II" period set, at their Mini Lindy Exchange, Canberrang. Brian has been a guest DJ twice on a Swing radio program on a Melbourne local station. His taste in music is deeply routed in Harlem & Kansas City Jazz from the 30's and expands from there. Some of Brian's favourite artists include: Chick Webb, Al Cooper, early Count Basie, Andy Kirk, Willie Bryant, Fletcher Henderson & Tommy Dorsey."

Jesse

Matthew

#308 Post by Matthew » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Great show! I'm enjoying it a lot!

Spuds

#309 Post by Spuds » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:45 pm

Brian's show kicks.

sonofvu

#310 Post by sonofvu » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:45 pm

Brian's show rocks. I'm at work and I can't keep from bopping my head back and forth.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

GemZombie

#311 Post by GemZombie » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:10 pm

Good stuff!

Bob the Builder

My Show

#312 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:33 am

Thanks guys
While there is 1 or 2 hours left in today’s Airing, here is my play list.
Hope you have enjoyed it. It's what I'm listening to at the moment.
I was great to do a radio slot and I've had the chance to play many recordings that almost never get to that dance floor.

Thanks Jessie, Manu and Darren for getting me this slot.

Brian

My set list

January 2005

Name - Artist - Year
Flat Foot Floogee - Benny Goodman - 1938
Stomp, Stomp - Cats And The Fiddle - 1942
Big John's Special - Chick Webb - 1936
Lumby - Charlie Barnet - 1941
Till Tom Special - Dave Davies - 1997
Madame Dynamite - Eddie Condon
Take It Easy - Earl Hines
Chant Of The Groove - Fats Waller - 1941
Satisfy My Soul - Buddy Johnson - 1950
Lunceford Special - Jimmie Lunceford - 1939
Blue Lou - The International Sweethearts Of Rhythm - 1944
On The Sunny Side Of The Street - Benny Goodman - 1942
Stomp It Off - Jimmie Lunceford - 1934
Rigamarole - Willie Bryant - 1935
A Mellow Bit Of Rhythm - Andy Kirk - 1937
See What I Mean? - Al Cooper - 1941
Back Bay Shuffle - Artie Shaw - 1938
Wild Mob Of The Fish Pond - Charlie Barnet
Special Delivery Stomp - Artie Shaw - 1940
Down South Camp Meetin' - Benny Goodman - 1935
Wednesday Night Hop - Andy Kirk - 1943
Betcha Nickel - Ella Fitzgerald - 1939
Diga Diga Doo - Bob Crosby - 1938
Much Mouth - Claude Hopkins - 1933
Tap Your Feet - Leslie Thompson - 1931
What A Shuffle - Chick Webb - 1934
South Side - Earl Hines
Blue Skyes - Chick Webb - 1937
Blow Top - Count Basie - 1940
Hey Sweet Potato - Buddy Johnson - 1947
Take It From The Top - Ella Fitzgerald - 1940
Flaming Youth - Duke Ellington - 1929
The Charleston - Spike Jones
Broadway - Count Basie - 1940
Rockin' In Rhythm - Ella Fitzgerald - 1956
Rock And Rye - Earl Hines
Thanks For The Boogie Ride - Gene Krupa -
Bicycle Bounce - Erskine Hawkins - 1942
Swingin' The Blues - Count Basie - 1947
Rock And ride - Harlan Leonard - 1940
Organ Grinder's Swing - Jimmie Lunceford - 1936
Livery Stable Blues - Fletcher Henderson - 1927
Variety Stomp - Fess Williams - 1927
Give Me Your Telephone Number - J.C. Higginbotham And His Six Hicks - 1930
Wild Party - Fletcher Henderson - 1934
Saboo - Erskine Hawkins - 1939
Effervescent Blues - John Kirby - 1939
Tuxedo Junction - Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson - 1940
Three Bones - Lucky Millinder - 1945
The New Call Of The Freaks - Luis Russell - 1929
Bechet Perades The Blues (St Louis Blues) - Sidney Bechet
It's Tight Like That - McKinney's Cotton Pickers - 1928
Mr. Ghost Goes To Town - Mills Blue Rhythm Band - 1936
Midfriff - Tommy Dorsey
Tar Paper Stomp - Mora's Modern Rhythmists - 2000
Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me - Nina Simone
Ain't Misbehavin' - Rex Stewart
King Porter Stomp - Teddy Hill - 1937
Rock! Daniel - Lucky Millinder - 1941
Swingin' On Nothin' - Tommy Dorsey - 1941
The Time Is Right - Oscar Peterson - 1978
Everyday - Lambert, Hendricks & Ross - 1957
Loose Wig - Lionel Hampton - 1944
My Canary - The Cairo Club Orchestra - 2004
On Revival Day - Luis Russell - 1930
Little John Special - Lucky Millinder - 1942
The FE Holden Valve - Bounce Boogie! - JW Swing Orchestra - 2002
Dark Town Strutter's Ball - Chick Webb - 1936
Zonky - McKinney's Cotton Pickers - 1930
Ay Now - Count Basie - 1942
Smoke House Rhythm - Benny Goodman - 1938
Camp Meeting Jamboree - Mills Blue Rhythm Band - 1937
Taps Miller - Count Basie - 1944
Flying Home - Charlie Christian - 1941
Peel me a Grape - Yvette Johansson - 1998
Jive At Five - Count Basie - 1977

djstarr

#313 Post by djstarr » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:59 am

Nice set list Brian! Too bad Internet radio is blocked at work for me....

So what of this set list don't you play? Most of the artists are familiar to me and I've probably danced to maybe 40 or 50 percent of the set list, so I'm curious about what part of this list you don't DJ for dances and why.

Bob the Builder

#314 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:01 am

There is always the possibility of Spinning any of the above songs, but some of the older recordings and the lesser know faster songs won’t always keep the dancers happy.
4 people dancing on the floor of a total of 30+ people is something you want to keep down as much a possible. It's ok one or twice.
I do really try to DJ for the dancers, and many times that means I don't always get to play what I would like.

Brian :D

JesseMiner

#315 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:19 am

February Thursday Guest DJ: Sharon Ashe (Raleigh/Durham, NC)

We've wanted to feature this amazing woman for quite a while and finally have the honor of featuring Sharon Ashe as our February guest DJ on Yehoodi Radio. She had a long run as the house DJ at the 920 Special and regularly DJs at events such as Swing Out New Hampshire. Here’s a little about Sharon as a DJ (no need to go on and on here about her amazing teaching skills):

"I love to DJ, especially for the home crowd at the 920 Special. Trying to put together a set for Yehoodi radio as a guest DJ for me has been a fun undertaking because I was freed from the restriction of having to keep the right energy for a dancing crowd. Instead I could play all of the quieter and more subtle songs that either won't translate well in a big dance space or would not be exciting enough to get the crowd going. I also included a lot of more pop/soul/motown type stuff in the last hour because I really enjoy dancing and listening to those type of songs these days. When I DJ I like to include a few of these songs toward the end of the evening. At the 920 I always considered the last half hour of the dance (12:00-12:30) to be my experimental time and I had a lot of fun throwing new and atypical stuff at the crowd to see what they would do with it. I actually had some folks who started staying later than they normally would just to see what I was going to play! My current favorite Lindy songs are "How it Feels to Be Free" sung by Nina Simone, and Monty Alexander's version of "Fly me to the Moon". While getting together songs for this show I rediscovered Hank Mobley's "Dig Dis", and 920 regulars know that I can rarely resist playing "Golden Earrings", "Hard Times", "Dat Dere" or "Mary Don't You Weep". I think that the hardest thing about being a DJ is becoming a caricature of yourself and playing what is safe, but at the same time you should have the courage to play the old standby songs if the crowd, the mood, or the energy of your set requires them."

Jesse